Previous topic - Next topic

Would you play him now or not

YES
37 (51.4%)
NO
35 (48.6%)

Total Members Voted: 72

blingo

I personally wouldn't. If he doesn't want to wear the shirt next season, why wear it now?

Sting of the North

Of course we should play him if Silva believes he is motivated and makes the team better. He is under contract, and has so far as far as we know honored said contract.

Dougie

Quote from: blingo on November 03, 2021, 12:34:28 PM
I personally wouldn't. If he doesn't want to wear the shirt next season, why wear it now?

Because the marginal impact of his inclusion in the squad for the rest of the season isn't insignificant and the club should act in its best interests.

People who don't think he should play should explain why they think it's worth increasing the probability of us not achieving promotion this year.

Holders

Not possible to respond from an informed perspective. Only the club knows what the position is.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Why not play him? Whether he's here next year or not, he is still under contract with us, so should be made to fulfil it. Plus he is a quality player and we need to win as many games as possible.

Lordedmundo

First of all - Carvalho has not said anything to the effect of him 'not wanting to wear the shirt next season'.

Secondly, there may be plenty of (other) players in the squad who have already decided they don't want to play for us next season. As it stands - Odoi, Mawson, Ream, Christie, Francois and Fabri all walk. What about players like Tosin who may have already decided he wants to go to a bigger club, or Bryan because he wants more game time? Do we drop them all from the squad now?

So - of course we should play Carvalho. It is an absolute no brainer!

If he plays now until the end of the season he can contribute with goals and assists that help us get automatic promotion.  If we reach the Premier League there is at least some chance he will sign a new contract with us.

If we don't play him, losing his contribution could mean we don't get promoted. He then 100% walks away at the end of the season - regardless of which division we are in.

I feel that some people take it too personally when a player doesn't immediately sign a new contract, forgetting it seems that is perfectly within their rights to do so..

WokingFFC

I am not convinced by rumours and paper talk personally.

I have heard he would not sign until his new management team are in place in January, that he has turned down a deal, we are not going to increase our offer etc. etc.

Only a few people know the truth and I will leave it to them to do the right thing by the club and player.

Twig

I don't see it as a no brainer that we should play Carvalho, not at all. Neither would I call for him to be sent to Coventry. After all, we don't know all the circumstances.
However, if he has turned down the contract offer then I would advocate putting him up for sale in the January window. Let's at least try to make a buck out him while we can.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Holders on November 03, 2021, 01:48:01 PM
Not possible to respond from an informed perspective. Only the club knows what the position is.
Exactly   :plus one:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Lordedmundo

Quote from: Twig on November 03, 2021, 01:59:47 PM
I don't see it as a no brainer that we should play Carvalho, not at all. Neither would I call for him to be sent to Coventry. After all, we don't know all the circumstances.
However, if he has turned down the contract offer then I would advocate putting him up for sale in the January window. Let's at least try to make a buck out him while we can.

Selling him is indeed a third option, but I would say that unless we manage to get several desperate clubs (including Newcastle!) into a bidding war, then any fee would not come close to suitable compensation for the amount we would lose in the event of us not gaining promotion.

I've also got a feeling that he would quite picky with regard to which club he would agree to join. So, beyond Liverpool, Arsenal or any one of the supposed 'top six' he may be happy to see out his contract. Certainly I would be surprised if he wanted to join Southampton or Leeds who are apparently two of the clubs taking most interest at the moment..

ken 44

I would throw into the conversation the effect that this will have on
his former colleagues at reserve level. He was given a chance and
took it but how many others will get there chance now because the
club may think twice about giving them a chance if as soon as they get
it they up and move on. I imagin it costs a fair amount to keep and train
them and if as suspected he has been persuaded to move on the club
looses out and may not recoup there outgoings.

Fulham Tup North

I have not voted.... it's not a Yes/No clear cut question from my perspective..... We don't know what is really going on atm... so I put my full trust in Silva.... he sees these players everyday and knows who is trying or not.   If he is on the team-sheet then Silva knows and expects him to perform.  That's good enough for me.   I don't think Silva is a fool....
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Twig

Quote from: Lordedmundo on November 03, 2021, 02:15:15 PM
Quote from: Twig on November 03, 2021, 01:59:47 PM

Selling him is indeed a third option, but I would say that unless we manage to get several desperate clubs (including Newcastle!) into a bidding war, then any fee would not come close to suitable compensation for the amount we would lose in the event of us not gaining promotion.

I've also got a feeling that he would quite picky with regard to which club he would agree to join. So, beyond Liverpool, Arsenal or any one of the supposed 'top six' he may be happy to see out his contract. Certainly I would be surprised if he wanted to join Southampton or Leeds who are apparently two of the clubs taking most interest at the moment..

I agree he might not accept any offers in January in which case we wouldn't benefit from a sale. However I do think it's worth trying as we will get little or absolutely nothing in the summer (depending on whether he stays in the UK or not).
I don't think that selling him should make too much impact on our promotion chances.  Not to underestimate his abilities but let's be honest he's still only an inexperienced youngster.  We have great midfeld cover especially with TC back and who knows, a decent fee for him could even allow us to make a signing in an area where there is greater need!

Stevieboy

All hearsay and designed to stoke up interest I suspect.
Won't believe anything until it's official.

Finnans Right Peg

If he is working hard in  training and showing a good attitude then I see no problem .

Harry kane wants to leave spurs and he plays everyweek for them .

Like wise if a players says he will be retiring at the end of the season do ya not play him either

Craven Mad

We don't need him right now, and can get promoted without him. As such, I'd rather we play the players who want to be here next season.

If he decides he wants to be a part of things next season, then I'd have him starting instantly. No doubt he's showing promise for his age, but younger players should focus on playtime over anything else.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I think that the one who should be fed up with the club at the moment  is Stansfiekd.
He is behind Muniz in the queue and is that justified?

fulhamexmouth

Quote from: Lordedmundo on November 03, 2021, 01:55:32 PM
First of all - Carvalho has not said anything to the effect of him 'not wanting to wear the shirt next season'.

Secondly, there may be plenty of (other) players in the squad who have already decided they don't want to play for us next season. As it stands - Odoi, Mawson, Ream, Christie, Francois and Fabri all walk. What about players like Tosin who may have already decided he wants to go to a bigger club, or Bryan because he wants more game time? Do we drop them all from the squad now?

So - of course we should play Carvalho. It is an absolute no brainer!

If he plays now until the end of the season he can contribute with goals and assists that help us get automatic promotion.  If we reach the Premier League there is at least some chance he will sign a new contract with us.

If we don't play him, losing his contribution could mean we don't get promoted. He then 100% walks away at the end of the season - regardless of which division we are in.

I feel that some people take it too personally when a player doesn't immediately sign a new contract, forgetting it seems that is perfectly within their rights to do so..

This is far too sensible a point to put on this forum! Very very well said sir

andyk

We should definitely play him.
If he's as good as people think, then he will have the right professional attitude.  We get a big boost for automatic promotion.  Maybe, he likes it so much, he signs a contract. If he's not up for it, the manager will notice quick enough.
Nothing to lose, anyway.

Willham

A total lack of respect from a young player. You at least sign a one year deal to afford the club (who've invested heavily in you) a fee.

Obviously I dont know the real ins and outs but if reports are honest then it's a no from me. Like ronaldo back at man u a long time a go, if you dont want to be here or think your bigger than the club goodbye.

We have plenty of very loyal players at the club. Mitrovic being a cornerstone of that philosophy. A player who could easily be bigger than our team. His ability can definitely question whether he should be at a higher level sometimes but he chooses to play here because of the love he feels. Whether that be our love for him or his love for the club.

That's what football should be about.

And why play a player who would have zero personal interest in whether we get promoted or not? Can you imagine last game of the season and we need a win or play off final and carvalho giving his all for FULHAM not for an idea that he may or may not be in a better position when giving us the finger? He has had one and one coaching. People literally getting big wages to concentrate purely on this one man and how he can improve his ability and then just say cheers loads. Bye! Giving nothing back in the process. Absolute disgust! Even some factory's these days make you sign contractual agreements for length of time to 'pay' for your training. What's getting someone forklift trained in your business good for if they then just walk away to another business? No we paid good money to train you. Therefore you should return that loyalty we've put into you. Time, effort, care and loyalty. These things shouldnt be taken lightly and anyone who throws that lovely gift in someones face should never and I mean never ever be rewarded.... and being given a fulham shirt for 90 mins is ALWAYS a reward! Time for these young footballers to be reminded of that.