watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army- Where were you?

Started by bog, November 04, 2021, 09:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

For those who were born then where were you the last we scored 7 away? September 16th 1969. Halifax Town 0 Fulham 8. I was round the house of my girl friend of the time in Hatch End when the results came up on the 10 o'clock news....there was an interlude in the goings on....

092.gif

dgnffc

I was in bed fast asleep being (almost) 12 at  the time.

Didn't know the score until the following morning's paper.

Holders

I didn't find out until the following morning when I was marking up the rounds for the paper boys and reading the back pages of every paper. Daily Sketch was best, as I recall. I think the following week we won 4-1 away as well.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

keith

Fulham1959

I thought it was a new beginning (1969).  It wasn't.

bog

I went to the next away game at Stockport and we won 4-1. But for their keeper Alan Ogley it would have been another 8.

092.gif

Lighthouse

I am not sure if I heard the result that night or read it the next morning in the results or my Dad told me.

I was up in Manchester then and like Bog went to the 4-1 win at Stockport. The weirdest ground I think I ever went to.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fulham1959

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 04, 2021, 01:57:10 PM
I am not sure if I heard the result that night or read it the next morning in the results or my Dad told me.

I was up in Manchester then and like Bog went to the 4-1 win at Stockport. The weirdest ground I think I ever went to.

Yes that Stockport win was the third in a row, scoring 16 and conceding 4.  We then went 10 matches without winning !

Holders

Quote from: bog on November 04, 2021, 01:53:01 PM
I went to the next away game at Stockport and we won 4-1. But for their keeper Alan Ogley it would have been another 8.

092.gif

In that run, didn't we beat Port Vale comprehensively as well?

Mince n Tatties

In the paper while doing my paper round in Herne Bay..."Titbits"and a "Parade" for the weirdo at number 27😀

spikey norman

Quote from: keith on November 04, 2021, 01:01:40 PM
Heard the result on News At Ten.
Same here.
Next day in one of the papers I read it said we had eight shots on goal and they all went in.
Anyone know if this was the case.
What I do know was that Steve Earle got 5.

St Eve

bog

Quote from: Holders on November 04, 2021, 02:40:30 PM

092.gif

I just checked. No we didn't. Port Vale weren't in that  division that season. We did beat Plymouth 4-3 at the Cottage.

092.gif 

Holders

Quote from: bog on November 04, 2021, 03:59:30 PM
Quote from: Holders on November 04, 2021, 02:40:30 PM

092.gif

I just checked. No we didn't. Port Vale weren't in that  division that season. We did beat Plymouth 4-3 at the Cottage.

092.gif 

My error, I must have been thinking of Stockport.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

res

Quote from: bog on November 04, 2021, 09:01:59 AM
For those who were born then where were you the last we scored 7 away? September 16th 1969. Halifax Town 0 Fulham 8. I was round the house of my girl friend of the time in Hatch End when the results came up on the 10 o'clock news....there was an interlude in the goings on....

I was near you that evening, supping a few beers at the Victory Inn in Pinner, rang Halifax FC to find out the score and got a robust reply to go away.

092.gif

mrmicawbers

Can't really remember,but in do recall someone had painted up the score in Putney station and it stayed there for ages if my memory serves

The Old Count

I was at the Crown pub in St Margaret's. I saw the score in the paper the following morning.  I had to look twice - couldn't believe it. Saw a picture of Steve Earle with the match ball. He looked like he couldn't believe it either.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

I was minus 11. In fact, my old man was only 3 days short of his 13th birthday.

Feel old yet??

TC's Sporran

I was in halifax that day. but not at the game. I was living there.
as a 7 year old we moved up there as my father had got a job as a bus conductor (ticketman). the bus depot cafeteria overlooked the halifax ground and sometimes we watched the odd game. but i remember getting bored very easily.
my dad had brainwashed me into being a glory glory man utd fan and that continued till i was 12. (went to about 3 games in all lol).