watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Reading handed 6 point deduction

Started by WhiteJC, November 17, 2021, 06:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: Championship side Reading are slapped with a SIX point deduction by the EFL... and they could be hit with a further six points if the Royals breach spending rules again

Reading have been hit with a six-point deduction having struggled financially
    They have exceeded £39million limit of losses over a three-year period
    Royals will take immediate six point hit, dropping them down to 19th in the table
    Championship side have also been hit with a suspended six-point deduction
    But additional six points will not be applied pending business plan compliance
    Points loss comes just one day after Derby were hit with nine-point deduction

Reading have been slapped with a six-point deduction by the EFL after breaching spending rules.

The Championship side have also seen a further six points suspended, and will need to comply with an agreed business plan for the remainder of this season and next to avoid the additional penalty being triggered.

The six-point deduction has seen the Royals drop from 16th to 19th in the Championship table but they are still outside the second-tier's relegation spots. 

An EFL statement read: 'Reading Football Club has been deducted six points from this season's (2021/22) points tally, with a further six points suspended until the end of the 2022/23 Season, after admitting to breaches of the EFL's Profitability and Sustainability rules (P&S).

'It follows a review of the financial submission from the club for the four-year period 2017/18 to 2020/21 where it was determined the club had recorded a loss of £57.8million, £18.8m in excess of the £39.0m Upper Loss Threshold.'

Championship clubs are not permitted to make losses of more than £39million over three years but Chinese-owned Reading's operating losses for that period went beyond that figure.

Negotiations over the deduction have been described as 'lengthy but amicable'.

A business plan has been agreed for the rest of this season and next. It will need to be adhered to should the Royals swerve an additional six point penalty. It is thought that high wages will be among a number of financials to be addressed.

On Tuesday, it was announced that Derby had been docked a further nine points for financial breaches on top of the 12 they were handed in September for going into administration.

Wayne Rooney's side sit bottom on minus three points.

With six points deducted, Reading now have 16 points. Currently Hull City, with 12 points, occupy the final relegation spot.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10212587/Reading-agree-SIX-point-Championship-deduction-EFL.html

ChesterTheTabby

Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Flintlock

Isn't it, let's say weird, that they spent in one year more than Derby did, and they got 6, while Derby got 9 point deduction?

paulbrookersmazydribbles

Derby's major problem was going into administration and concealing their financial misdeeds from the EFL twice, I think.

Flintlock

Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on November 17, 2021, 07:39:27 PM
Derby's major problem was going into administration and concealing their financial misdeeds from the EFL twice, I think.
But isn't administration automatic 12 point deduction? The other 9 should be from finances. If I got it right.

Denver Fulham

21 points in deductions is massive. I don't see how they possibly survive this. They've only earned a bit more than 1 point per match played before accounting for the penalties, and they're now 18 points from safety.

RufusBrevettatemyhamster

Still managed to sign Andy Carroll though. Doubt hes on the cheap.

bobbo

They're very good at punishing clubs with financial difficulties but don't address the abysmal performances of some referees or certain players consistently cheating . They take the easy road .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

filham

Perhaps we will not need 50 points to avoid relegation this season.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Ah the old Elm Park - happy days - almost as intimidating as the Old Den

However there was Ronnie Mauge's double own goals in a 3 - 2 defeat there, not so clever matey!

Baszab

Cheated us out of that playoff with that ridiculous hand ball
And we went all the way there once for the game to be called off at HT due to fog
Serves them right - and Derby

Twig

Quote from: bobbo on November 17, 2021, 09:10:15 PM
They're very good at punishing clubs with financial difficulties but don't address the abysmal performances of some referees or certain players consistently cheating . They take the easy road .

About time they took the top 5 or 6 highest spenders in thecPrem to task. Clubs like Reading or Derby are easy targets in comparison to Man City or Utd.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: sunburywhite on November 17, 2021, 07:17:36 PM
Yet PSG and Man City get away with it

PSG and Man City aren't cheating, because the FFP rules are written to punish teams trying to climb the table by buying better players. PSG and Man City buy players to stay top of the table, which is legit.  For FFC, the rules are written to reward if we try to yo-yo and punish us financially if we try to have the 17th best squad in the premier league only to fail. Yo-Yo or DIE is what the EPL wants for Fulham.

The Rational Fan

Before FFP exceptions, Reading lost £20m in 17/18, £30m in 18/19, and £41 in 19/20 (i.e. £91m over three years). It, therefore, seems they managed to claim £33m of except losses and £57m of FFP losses.

The "ex-footballer in the Media" should be calling out the Reading DOFs over this period as hopelessly wasting money, but due to their self-interest of future employment, they try to maintain the lie that clubs are better managed by ex-footballers and so won't call out "the failures of ex-footballers that are DOFs" (such as Brain McDermott, Jaam Stam, and Mark Bowen). Tony Khan has been positively brilliant compared to many DOF Failures in the Championship.

siffc86

Mark Bowen was sporting director but Stam and McDermot were managers - never DOFs at Reading.

Twig

Quote from: The Rational Fan on November 18, 2021, 04:56:30 AM
Before FFP exceptions, Reading lost £20m in 17/18, £30m in 18/19, and £41 in 19/20 (i.e. £91m over three years). It, therefore, seems they managed to claim £33m of except losses and £57m of FFP losses.

The "ex-footballer in the Media" should be calling out the Reading DOFs over this period as hopelessly wasting money, but due to their self-interest of future employment, they try to maintain the lie that clubs are better managed by ex-footballers and so won't call out "the failures of ex-footballers that are DOFs" (such as Brain McDermott, Jaam Stam, and Mark Bowen). Tony Khan has been positively brilliant compared to many DOF Failures in the Championship.

OMG how on earth do you manage to get in a (inaccurate) TK fanboy post on a thread about Reading's points deductions? Remarkable.

We Are Premier League

Fire sale of John Swft in Jan...we might be interested, with Seri away and depending on the injury situation for Cairney/Chalobah

bobby01

Quote from: Twig on November 18, 2021, 08:05:38 AM

OMG how on earth do you manage to get in a (inaccurate) TK fanboy post on a thread about Reading's points deductions? Remarkable.

:wow: 064.gif 064.gif 064.gif
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Twig on November 18, 2021, 08:05:38 AM

You almost have to give the amount of effort taken to shoehorn in a begrudging respect, don't you?  Even if it is utterly incorrect.