more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 19/11/21...

Started by WhiteJC, November 19, 2021, 12:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

7 goals in 8 games: West Brom held talks to sign prolific striker

Aleksandar Mitrovic has scored more goals himself (20 in 17 starts) than West Brom striker Callum Robinson, Karlan Grant, Grady Diangana, Jordan Hugill, Matt Phillips and Kenneth Zohore (13) have mustered between them in the first three months of the Championship season.

Dominic Solanke, meanwhile, has 13 of his own.

That should give you some sort of idea why West Bromwich Albion are a distant third in the Championship table, six points adrift of Mitrovic's Fulham and eight behind Solanke's Bournemouth.

Shorn of a prolific number nine, someone capable of leading the line with power and presence, the effectiveness of Valerien Ismael's uber-direct style has been neutered. It's like Usain Bolt attempting to run the 100m in ice-skates.

West Brom have drawn a blank against Derby County, Stoke and Fulham, dropping points against Middlesbrough, Swansea, Millwall and Preston North End. As a result, the Baggies are starting to resemble the 'best of the rest' rather than a genuine title challenger.

They lack a striker capable of emulating the impact Daryl Dike made under Ismael at Barnsley last season. West Brom, it must be said, did enquire about the USA international but he was simply too expensive.

Could Cassierra have been the man to fire West Brom back to the Prem?

According to the Express & Star, West Brom's attempts to bring in their own Daryl Dike during the January transfer window will be restricted by a lack of funds at Ismael's disposal.

So the last thing West Brom fans want – at a time when frustration with the so-called 'Tony Pulis with towels' is starting to rise – is to find out a striker who came close to joining the Baggies in the summer can't stop scoring at his new club.

"Now, thank God, I am at FC Sochi," Mateo Cassierra tells Championnat. "I have played a lot of games and scored a lot of goals here. There will be more.

A scary thought.

Since joining the upwardly mobile Russian Premier League outfit from Belenenses, Cassiera has scored seven goals in eight games, firing Sochi to second in the table behind Zenit St Petersburg.

"Things are going well. I score goals for Sochi and I want to continue in the same spirit," the Colombian adds.

According to Mais Futebol, West Brom opened talks with Cassiera in August with Belenenses' president confirming an offer had arrived from a "British team". Unfortunately, like much of West Brom's strike force, talks obviously drew a blank.

Who knows, perhaps Jordan Hugill will suddenly hit a purple patch. Maybe Kenneth Zohore will rediscover the form that once made him a £30 million striker?

We're not putting our house on it, however.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/11/18/7-goals-in-8-games-west-brom-held-talks-to-sign-prolific-striker/

WhiteJC

Peterborough place £4m price tag on Dembele

Peterborough United have placed a £4m price tag on forward Siriki Dembele as they try to avoid a January sale, according to reports this morning.

The 25 year-old appears destined to leave the Championship club in the summer after refusing to sign a new contract. Dembele has a been longstanding Fulham target, with the Whites watching him extensively last season, and he starred in Posh's narrow defeat by Marco Silva's side earlier this month.

Dembele, who has scored four goals and added two assists in sixteen league appearances has also been heavily linked with the Old Firm. His brother Karamoko is currently on Celtic's books and Rangers have been reportedly monitoring his progress. Darren Ferguson is desperate to keep hold of Dembele to boost Peterborough's battle against relegation, but a significant offer in the new year could force Posh's hand.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/11/peterborough-place-4m-price-tag-on-dembele/

WhiteJC

Peterborough United slap £4m price tag on Dembele amid Celtic, Rangers interest

Peterborough United's Siriki Dembele is attracting the interest of 'multiple top clubs' including Celtic, Rangers and Fulham according to Football Insider.

Dembele, 25, has been linked with the likes of Celtic, Rangers and Fulham in the past. Now though, Football Insider have revealed that the trio remain interested in the winger, who Peterborough United now value at £4million.

The same report goes on to reveal how Dembele is 'set to quit' Posh next summer when his current deal expires, after he rejected the offer of a new contract.

But Posh are reluctant to lose Dembele in January and they're hoping that this fresh price tag will fend off an unwanted interest in the New Year.

Darren Ferguson's side though could be tempted into selling if a significant offer is tabled.

Dembele on the move?
Dembele garnered a lot of transfer interest last season – he put on a fine display in League One, scoring 11 and assisting 10 in his 42 league outings, helping Posh to promotion into the Championship.

Since, Dembele has scored four and assisted one goal in his 16 Championship outings. His side have undoubtedly struggled upon their return to the second tier, sitting in 21st-place of the table after the opening 17 games.

They've claimed just 15 points so far, scoring 17 and conceding a league high of 32. So for Peterborough, losing Dembele in the New Year would prove a huge blow to their survival hopes, but losing him for free next summer would put a dent in their finances.

It's a tricky one for the club to play out, but Dembele seems to have his sights set on a new challenge in 2022.

https://the72.co.uk/255703/peterborough-united-slap-4m-price-tag-on-dembele-amid-celtic-rangers-interest/

WhiteJC

What Cristiano Ronaldo Said To Serbia Players After World Cup Qualifier Defeat

Cristiano Ronaldo bemoaned the controversial goal that wasn't given in the reverse fixture against Serbia after the Balkan side beat Portugal to reach a second consecutive World Cup.

On Sunday, there were euphoric scenes amongst the Serbia squad as they defeated Portugal 2-1 in Lisbon - with Aleksandar Mitrovic bagging a late winner.

It meant Serbia secured top spot in Group A and qualified for the showpiece in Qatar.

Portugal must now progress through the play-offs and there was monumental disappointment from Fernando Santos' players at the final whistle.

Captain and record goalscorer Ronaldo was utterly distraught and looked on the verge of tears.

And according to Santos, Ronaldo reminded a Serbia player about his late winner that crossed the line but was controversially not awarded back in March.

"It doesn't make sense," Santos told TVI.

"When the game was over, the disappointment was brutal.

"If it was for the Portuguese, imagine for the players and staff. The players were on the ground.

"I went to the field to support and comfort the players, he [Ronaldo] was telling a Serbian player: 'You wouldn't be laughing if the goal I scored there hadn't been cancelled out'. What I told you was to take it easy."

In the March clash, Ronaldo thought he had scored to make it 3-2 to Portugal but defender Stefan Mitrovic raced back in. The ball had actually crossed the line and yet because there was no VAR, it was not given.

Had it counted, Portugal would have progressed to the World Cup ahead of Serbia.

Ronaldo was so angry with the decision that he vented to the linesman, left the pitch before the final whistle was blown and threw his captain's armband on the turf in disgust.

Ronaldo didn't register a single shot on target against Serbia and was slammed for attempting a speculative effort late on when Portugal were pushing for a last-gasp leveller.

Euro 2016 winners Portugal are seeded for the play-offs and so will avoid a semi-final showdown with reigning European champions Italy, who also failed to qualify automatically.

https://www.sportbible.com/football/cristiano-ronaldo-was-fuming-at-portugal-manager-fernando-santos-20211115

WhiteJC

Everton U18s to play Fulham in FA Youth Cup

Everton Under-18s will play Fulham in 3rd Round of the FA Youth Cup on Friday 10 December at Goodison Park (7pm kick-off).

Last season, Everton reached the quarter-finals of the competition after good wins over Manchester City and Chelsea but they have failed to win this trophy since 1998.

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/21-22/news/41444.html

WhiteJC

Silva's stylish side sets pulses racing

It's been a while since I penned my thoughts, in fact, I've really not written for a long time. I won't go into everything, but I think something you learn once you enter your 20s is life isn't what you imagine as a child or teen. Sure, if you know what you want to do with your life and know the path to get there – it helps. As someone who left school not really knowing, each day can leave you feeling quite lost. Well finally I feel somewhat on track, with a new job and an actual career path. My work-life balance is the best it's been and philosophically I'm happier, healthier and better. Though hurdles will continue to occur for someone like me, I'm the best place I've been to bat them away.

Anyway, onto Fulham. We're coming to a key part of the season for Marco Silva's side. Statistically, half of the sides that top the table on Boxing Day go on to win the Championship title. With no international break until March, this is a period where Europe's most demanding division turns treacherous. The games come thick and thin with the build up to Christmas and that will test even the strongest of squads. Silva has so far coped with injury crises – Denis Odoi deputised for Kenny Tete admirably even if nobody would pretend that the Belgian veteran is as accomplished a right back as the Dutch international. No one foresaw Fabio Carvalho's early importance coming but even with his injury, but Fulham have adjusted to his prolonged absence pretty healthily. The Domingos Quina experiment might have been quickly abandoned but Bobby Decordova-Reid has slotted into the number ten role nicely – only Harry Wilson has carved out more chances for the Whites this season. Even Tosin Adarabioyo's suspension for that moment of madness against West Brom hasn't unduly discomforted the defence, as Michael Hector filled in to good effect.

Confidence must be high at Craven Cottage after a run of six straight wins, during which Silva's side have amassed 21 goals and conceded only one. The strength in depth that the Fulham head coach has at his disposal is demonstrated by the fact that the returning Cairney, Carvalho and Tete have started our most recent fixtures on the bench. Rodrigo Muniz appears to acclimatising nicely to English football – notching an impressive brace after coming on as a substitute against Blackburn – and the Brazilian forward has detailed that he is enjoying learning from the best number nine in the division. Aleksandar Mitrovic, whose own confidence has to be soaring following his winner in Lisbon, dragged a limp Scott Parker side to promotion two seasons back but he looks an entirely different animal these days. Mitrovic is playing with a smile on his face and looks like scoring with every shot at the moment. There's certainly no irony in singing about him being on fire at the moment.

His moment of individual redemption against Portugal was richly deserved after the ignominy of that penalty shoot-out failure against Scotland that cost Serbia a spot at the European Championships. So extraordinary are his scoring exploits that Fulham look utterly transformed in attack and the threat they pose in the opposition penalty area stands in stark contrast to the side that surrendered their Premier League safety so meekly, with Parker not even considering Mitrovic as an option to score the goals that an imperilled Fulham side badly needed. Looking back, that appears a horrific misjudgement at best.

Fulham's current squad contains a multitude of talents and could have been guided to promotion by a PE teacher – the players have shown that already. The key thing is that Marco Silva can be the man to stabilise Fulham as a Premier League outfit – that is why he took this job. The football has been exhilarating at times, largely dominant in possession but with vertical threat and ruthlessness to create chance after chance. This Fulham side has scored 13 more goals than their nearest 'goals for' challenger whilst staying solid at the back with the second best defence in terms of goals conceded. Silva's side have scored one more goal at this stage of last season than Jean Tigana's 2000-01 promotion team featuring Louis Saha (who scored 27 in the league for that season – whilst Aleksandar Mitrovic sits on 20 with 29 games left to play).

Fulham have three fixtures to play before Parker's return to Craven Cottage with the league leaders Bournemouth on December 3rd, in what is arguably the first blockbuster battle of the promotion campaign. All three matches before the Cherries come to the capital appear winnable, although nothing can be certain in such an unpredictable lead. Fulham host the two sides occupying the last two spots in the Championship relegation zone, before heading to Deepdale to take on Frankie McAvoy's Preston North End, who are also currently ensconced in the bottom half of the table.

Without looking too far in the future, you get the feeling that this run to the New Year will be vital in Fulham's title ambitions (yes, you get a gong for finishing 2nd but to go up as champions should be the only goal). In this December period, Fulham will want to set the tone, much like they did post-Coventry and with lots of games with little break – the entire squad will have to match the intensity, form and difference of their position group. If Aleksandar Mitrovic gets a knock, Rodrigo Muniz has to become the 'big dog' and the same applies for all of those on the fringes. If you're on the fringes now – the chances are you'll be replaced in the Premier League so step up when it's your turn. That's the attitude of champions and champions is what Fulham have to be.

It should be fun and I'm already looking forward to that first Friday in December, when Parker comes back in front of the Sky cameras and under the flood lights. You can't fail to have been enthralled by the way Silva has taken to the early stages of his task of securing an immediate return to the top flight and, given the way he has spoken about having unfinished business in the Premier League, he will be determined to establish Fulham as a force at English football's top table. This is shaping up to be a season that Fulham fans will look back on with similar fondness to that of 2000/01, when Tigana's team stormed to promotion with style and panache.

Another update – I'm looking at writing more but sometimes I lack the initial creative idea or I start writing and can't get the right flow (this for example, I'm not sure is great) but if there's any questions you want answered or anything studied or discussed, send me a message on Twitter (@frankieptaylor) or respond to my articles and I'll note to see what I can do.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2021/11/silvas-stylish-side-sets-pulses-racing/

WhiteJC

Tony Khan says 23-year-old who is yet to debut for Fulham is 'one to watch'

Speaking on the Futbol with Grant Wahl Podcast, Fulham's Director of Football, Tony Khan, has been speaking about some of the American talent at Fulham

The Whites have a proud history of giving Americans a chance at Craven Cottage and footballers from across the Atlantic have often been some of Fulham's best players.

Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride and Carlos Bocanegra were all heroes for the west London club back in the day, while the likes of Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson are starring right now.

However, Khan says that there's one young American who is yet to make his debut for the first-team who is worth keeping an eye on.

What's been said?

Khan named Marlon Fossey as a player for the future.

"America is developing more players, some of those are ending up in MLS academies and some are going abroad at a young age and Fulham have had some young Americans coming into our academy also. Marlon Fossey is with us, and while he's not yet been playing with the first-team, he's a first-team footballer who is one to watch at right-back for the US in the future," Khan said.

When will his chance come?

Khan says that Fossey is one to watch, and while he may well be a talented footballer, we have to wonder at this point when his chance will come.

Fossey is already 23, and with the likes of Denis Odoi, Kenny Tete and Steven Sessegnon seemingly ahead of him in the pecking order at right-back, it's very hard to see his route into the first-team.

Unfortunately for Fossey, Fulham are stacked at right-back at the moment, but who knows? If Fossey is as good as Khan says he is, it may not be long before he gets a chance.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/11/18/tony-khan-says-23-year-old-who-is-yet-to-debut-for-fulham-is-one-to-watch/

WhiteJC

Football Shirt Friday

England captain and Tottenham striker, Harry Kane, football journalist and influencer Amy Christophers, and influencer and podcast host Harry Pinero, have joined forces to launch this year's Football Shirt Friday. The stars are encouraging fans nationwide to take part on Friday 19 November by wearing their favourite football shirt, sharing a selfie and donating £5 to the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK to tackle bowel cancer.

Bobby Moore, the World-Cup winning England captain and Fulham centre-back, died of bowel cancer in 1993. Shortly after, his widow Stephanie Moore MBE set up the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK to fund world-class research and awareness projects to tackle bowel cancer. Since it began, the fund has raised over £28.5m for bowel cancer research.

Join the squad united against bowel cancer and wear your favourite football shirt, share on social media and donate £5 to the Bobby Moore Fund this 19 November.

To donate £5 to the Bobby Moore Fund, go to footballshirtfriday.org or text SHIRT to 70180