watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are the EFL going overboard?

Started by General, November 20, 2021, 01:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Admittedly I don't know the ins and outs of what's going on at each club, but seems Reading have also been deducted 6 points by the EFL for financial fair play breaches?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59320479

Can't help but think that given how bad covid was, it must have had a significant say in various clubs financial performance and surely there should be some leeway for periods of time due to extenuating circumstances.

Seems pretty unfair if the clubs have overspent their means especially if covid cut everyone's gate receipts dramatically.

We could see two of the three team relegated sent down for no football reason at all.

The Old Count

The whole FFP thing is a nonsense. It doesn't do what it was designed to do. As someone mentioned on another thread: It should be challenged in Court and scrapped with a fairer, more realistic and workable safeguard put in place.

SG

There was a detailed analysis in the Athletic about Reading. At their peak their annual wage bill was twice their annual turnover. By any measure that is irresponsible and unsustainable. They are another club who sold their ground to the new owners although there is no suggestion of the valuation issues surrounding Derby and Sheffield Wednesday when they did the same.
Ever since Majdeski sold out in 2014 they appear to have been vastly overspending so I don't think COVID was accepted as a valid explanation

Arthur

Quote from: The Old Count on November 20, 2021, 08:08:48 AM
The whole FFP thing is a nonsense. It doesn't do what it was designed to do. As someone mentioned on another thread: It should be challenged in Court and scrapped with a fairer, more realistic and workable safeguard put in place.

It seems to me that, outside of the P.L., it does serve its intended purpose.

FFP is the reason we've deferred Wilson's transfer fee until next summer; it was the reason, even had Andersen been prepared to drop down to the Championship, there was no prospect of our signing him; it was the reason we were dependent upon Sessegnon going to Spurs that meant Michael Hector's arrival missed the transfer deadline.

Without FFP, our wealthy Chairman could have enabled the signing of all three without a second thought.

For the EFL to not withdraw or change FFP and yet fail to enforce its sanctions would, in my opinion, lead to more unfairness than currently exists. What a more equitable way of 'levelling the playing field' might be, I do not know. Is there an alternative that has support among clubs?

SG

Probably a salary cap. The lower leagues are seriously considering it

bobby01

Jesus, just read the current debt breakdown at Derby on bbc football side. Why would anyone consider buying them?
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: bobby01 on November 20, 2021, 05:20:21 PM
Jesus, just read the current debt breakdown at Derby on bbc football side. Why would anyone consider buying them?
Penthouse flats....
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

WolverineFFC

Quote from: SG on November 20, 2021, 02:46:38 PM
Probably a salary cap. The lower leagues are seriously considering it

Would it be based on the previous year's turnover? Seems like it could get pretty complicated with relegation.