watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Derby fans

Started by shepperton white, November 24, 2021, 11:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shepperton white

I know I'm going to get some stick, but I'll say it anyway.Β  People keep harking about events that took place 40 odd years ago - get over it!Β  Todays game is totally different now. Although it may be the club owner/s deserved nothing less that points deduction, but to be fair to the fans; they are just like us - hard working people who support their club and fork out good money to do so.Β  I think some support for their travelling supporters would be nice.Β  Remember it wasn't that long we ourselves almost our club altogether.
Having said that I still want to beat them.

Colton F.C.

We are lucky to have such a fantastic team at the moment.Β  Best to put it aside and move on. Its not the first or last time that people were on the pitch before the game was over.

Lighthouse

First of all we as a Humans hold grudges. Don't forget the dislike for Germany, Argentina and France.

Then there is the simple fact that Derby fans kicked and assaulted players and fans and were never brought to book.

But I tend to agree. Let's not forget that these things happened. But I think holding grudges becomes pointless. Especially when time has passed.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

bobbo

Quote from: shepperton white on November 24, 2021, 11:38:32 AM
I think some support for their travelling supporters
I'm not out to give you stick as such shepperton, all I ask is you goon you tube and watch the 11 minute clip of what happened that day , I was there sitting next to Gerry Peytons wife.
I know some areableto forgive and forget , but I just can't , it's stuck with me since.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

ALG01

I was at the baseball ground that day and it was terrible and nobody was held to account.
It was a scandalous disgrace.

But it was 40 years ago and football was very different then with hooliganism a regular feature. the game on the day was a feature of third rate management of the game and its problems.

I have no ill will toward the current set of fans and feel that the authorities have dealt them a ridiculously rotten hand I do not know all the details but I think the authorities also have much to answer for.

I wish them luck but only after tonight.

bobbo

Alg
Quote from: ALG01 on November 24, 2021, 12:55:39 PM
I was at the baseball ground that day and it was terrible and nobody was held to account.
It was a scandalous disgrace.

But it was 40 years ago and football was very different then with hooliganism a regular feature. the game on the day was a feature of third rate management of the game and its problems.

I have no ill will toward the current set of fans and feel that the authorities have dealt them a ridiculously rotten hand I do not know all the details but I think the authorities also have much to answer for.

I wish them luck but only after tonight.
alg I respect your opinion and even I am mellowing just a little bit , mainly because there won't be too many from that day still going. For what it's worth I also sympathise with them re their recent punishment . Talk about kicked in the teeth when you're down .

rebel

That match should of been played again, it would if it happened today. You had fans pitch side interfering with play, they even kicked the ball.

It was a disgrace it happened.

WhiteJC

I know I'm going to get some stick, but I'll say it anyway.Β  People keep harking about events that took place 40 odd years ago - get over it!Β 

some of is remember 40 years ago far easier than what we did yesterday

shepperton white

While agree the events at the Baseball ground was an absolutely discrace, the fault lies mainly with then FA for not taking strong action at the time.Β  Today, with all-seater stadia in the top two leagues and stronger rules I think much less likely to occur.Β  Chances are that the majority of current Rams supporters don't even know about that event or even the mudbath that was the old Baseball ground

Riversider

When I read threads like this it's all so easy to identify those that were there that day (as I was) and those that weren't,
What should we have next, a Gillingham fans appreciation thread?
I hope we win 5 nil and their supporters coach breaks down, the more suffering the better.

bigalffc

Quote from: whitejc on November 24, 2021, 01:36:43 PM
I know I'm going to get some stick, but I'll say it anyway.Β  People keep harking about events that took place 40 odd years ago - get over it!Β 

some of is remember 40 years ago far easier than what we did yesterday
:plus one:
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

filham

A lot of water has assed under the bridge since that dreadful match at the baseball ground and I guess it is timeto think of other things.
An apology from Derby would have helped a lot though.

bobbo

Quote from: Riversider on November 24, 2021, 01:57:49 PM
When I read threads like this it's all so easy to identify those that were there that day (as I was) and those that weren't,
I hope we win 5 nil and their supporters coach breaks down, the more suffering the better.
me and you would get on πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Lighthouse

Quote from: bobbo on November 24, 2021, 02:03:56 PM

I am sure you would get on. But it doesn't make it healthy. How far do we want to go back? I experienced an awful medical blunder so should I hate all doctors. Or just English ones? Or if I am hit by a lorry driver do I hate all lorry drivers? If we keep this childish hatred do we hate those children of Derby fans who were there. The point is hating is very easy. That is why we have wars and we have racism. Should I hate all Gillingham fans because of what some of them did? Still you are probably in the majority which is why we live in the type of society that needs people to be taught that we are not all the same. Now I am off to shout abuse at a German kid. Let's keep those grudges going.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lordedmundo

This article suggests that both Derby and Leicester supported the game being replayed:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/that-1980s-sports-blog/2018/may/03/fulham-promotion-leicester-derby-football-league

Although a fair few ignorant, opinionated burks saying otherwise in the comments.

I do remember that Graham Kelly always came across as a totally ignorant and unpleasant ****hole and no more so than in the aftermath of this game.

BestOfBrede

Hmm, we were pelted from above with all sorts (coins, drinks, spit) and people got injuries.
Then we were attacked in the car park attempting to get on the coach and then stones thrown at the coach!
Then the FA did FA about it and no replay as we expected!
I find it not so easy to forgive and forget!

RaySmith

I wasn't at that fateful game, but I remember, much more recently,Β  Derby fans tryingΒ  hard to get to our fans, who were celebrating on the pitch, after the Play-off semi-final - police had to draw batons to hold them back.
I noticed the one I'd made eye contact from where I was in the Riverside, next to the Putney End, and who'd kept gesturing towards me, and he was right in the front of the mob - and I'd obviously made sure I celebrated our brilliant victory.

On the other hand, my good mate Ken, in the late 60's atΒ  college up north, was a mad Derby fan, with his Rams mug, etc, and you couldn't meet a nicer bloke.

So, I'm sure most Derby fans are decent people, but they have their yob element, like most clubs - even we used to, though you couldn't imagine those events at the Cottage, and i fully understand the hostility towards Derby and their fans that still exists, but most of their fans are just like us.

bobbo

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 24, 2021, 02:37:02 PM
Quote from: bobbo on November 24, 2021, 02:03:56 PM

I am sure you would get on. But it doesn't make it healthy. How far do we want to go back? I experienced an awful medical blunder so should I hate all doctors. Or just English ones? Or if I am hit by a lorry driver do I hate all lorry drivers? If we keep this childish hatred do we hate those children of Derby fans who were there. The point is hating is very easy. That is why we have wars and we have racism. Should I hate all Gillingham fans because of what some of them did? Still you are probably in the majority which is why we live in the type of society that needs people to be taught that we are not all the same. Now I am off to shout abuse at a German kid. Let's keep those grudges going.
lighthouse , you've gone too far over the top there mate. If you knew me or even met me for 1/2 an houryou'd realise what you've described is far from what's me. Firstly I've never in any of my posts used the very childish and immature word " hate" for me that's a playground word . I was there that day you probably wasn't it was quite frightening at times . I was priviliged to be on a coach with quite a few of players wives and relations even that was under fire. But for the police we would have been in trouble.

I Ronic

Forget Derby and the Germans. I've still got the ache with the Normans!

Arthur

Quote from: rebel on November 24, 2021, 01:23:03 PM
That match should of been played again, it would if it happened today. You had fans pitch side interfering with play, they even kicked the ball.

While what happened was unacceptable, it didn't cost us promotion in my opinion; we threw that away ourselves with a string of below-par performances on the road in the latter half of the season (including Derby -Β  watching us that day, if you didn't know, you'd never have guessed we had anything to play for, so tame was our performance.)

What damaged us most, in my opinion, were lamentable away defeats against, supposedly, inferior opponents such as Oldham, Cambridge and Burnley. In April, at Sheffield Wednesday, we netted a somewhat unmerited equaliser with just a few minutes remaining - only to chuck away our slice of good fortune when we conceded again in the last minute. And whilst our home form held up throughout our slide out of the promotion places, we lost the game that mattered the most: Leicester. The pitch invasion and subsequent abandonment at Derby merely served to shift attention away from the real travesty: our end-of-season collapse.

At face value, it's easy to blame the F.A, but the consequences of replaying the game stretched beyond ourselves and Derby. Leicester would have had reason to be aggrieved at being denied promotion when they, too, had done nothing wrong. The circumstances of the original match simply could not be replicated. For a start, other results meant defeat could not now relegate Derby. Secondly, Leicester, who needed to win only if we won (and drew 0-0 with Burnley that day), would, presumably, had we been winning, have done even more than they did to try to win their game.

Although, therefore, we suffered the injustice of the final minutes being blighted by sporadic interruptions from fans and of losing 78 seconds completely, we were losing - not even drawing - a game we had to win. Perhaps the F.A. believed an even greater injustice would have been heaped on Leicester, had we been able to go back to the Baseball Ground, knowing now promotion was in our own hands, with the scoreline reset to 0-0 and with a whole 90 minutes ahead of us in which to win against opponents who were no longer battling for their own survival.