watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR...The Beatles new Doc "Get Back"

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, November 25, 2021, 06:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

I got Disney+ just to watch this, and have just watched the first episode which covers the first 7 days of the project.

Pretty Fantastic stuff really, if you  re a Beatles fan of course, but even if you just have a general interest in music and creativity.

The 2 hrs and 35 minutes flew by, and left it on a well known "cliff hanger" that will be resolved in the next episode...

Just seeing them tootling about and then growing a song from a simple phrase, and also seeing the under currents between the guys, so good. And Ringo just seems like the coolest, calmest guy in town.

Highly recommended.

RaySmith

Good to read your very positive review - the Guardian critic really slagged it off,  said it was very boring, but i checked out other reviews, and they were  full of praise, like yours.

Though, as you say, you need to subscribe to Disney Plus to watch it.

Andy S

You probably have to be ova certain age like me. I know I will enjoy it

Jem

If the Grauniad didn't like it it must be worth watching.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

St Eve

RaySmith

Apparently, in the group  playing on the studio  roof clips, bowler hatted gents are  interviewed saying things like - 'This row is an imposition.' and the police are shown trying to stop it the impromptu concert which  stopped traffic, and drww  workers from their offices to gather in the street below.
McCartney is quoted as say that 'annoying snobs was part of the fun.'

It's maybe hard now to think of all the  snobbery there was  towards the Beatles, and pop music generally.

Craig Brown's  recant book about the band, sounds very good, was serialised on the  radio,  and it tells of how at a British Embassy reception for the group, when the Beatles first went to America - to a an incredible response , particularly from  young, female fans, the group were subject to openly snobbish and sneering remarks from Embassy staff, about these  'yobs and their hideous racket,' and 'Oh, they can actually talk ', and one Embassy wife, snipped of a lump of Ringo's hair, as a souvenir without  asking him, and running off afterwards.

Show the snobbish attitudes in Britain then, which still linger unfortunately - though the Beatles are generally accepted as great, and rock music generally taken seriously. Well, it took middle class academics to start writing articles comparing the Beatles to Beethoven, for their music to be given respectability, and now there are many weighty tomes about popular music.

Dodgin

Interesting the early days of the Beatles, one of their contemparies was Brian Casser, who I met during our National Service days in Germany in 1958. I joined his group for a while Cass and the Cassanovas until he was demobbed. It is said that he gave them the name Silver Beetles. Cass  became part of the Liverpool scene. Then returned to Germany and became quite well known with his band Casey Jones and the Governors. A week at Butlins in Skegness in 1962, I saw Ringo drumming away for Rory Storm and the Hurricanes, just a matter of weeks and he joind as one of the Fab Four.

bog

Quote from: Andy S on November 25, 2021, 07:02:38 PM
You probably have to be ova certain age like me. I know I will enjoy it

+1  :54:

Somerset Fulham

I haven't seen it yet because I'm not huge of the Beatles (the Kinks were better), but I will watch it for sure.

I would also say that, although the name/owners of the channel may put people off, Disney Plus is a bloody excellent service.  Even if you aren't keen on Princesses, Marvel and Star Wars, the other stuff is worth every penny of the minimal monythly cost.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Well, I have to be honest, the 2nd episode feels like a bit of a drag in in parts (mainly the middle hour)

It kind of lacks a LOT of the tension and surprise (to me) of the first episode, but has a rather groovy last 20 minutes or so... Primrose Hill would have been awesome really...

Still rather good overrall, and a must for Beatles Fans, Lennon really wakes up and is funny too, and the Fifth Beatle bits were great, but it does feel like the  3 hours could have done with a bit of snipping (the repeated attempts at a couple of songs, over and over, and over, and over, and over...actually is the "worst" bit for me...if they knocked that in half it would have been better)...but I guess it shows how much work and thought went into their tunes)

So just to calm expectations somewhat, I still think the first episode was Fantastic, the second still rather good, but not jaw dropping like the first one was to me.

But then episode 3 looks like a good 'un for sure, and it still felt like an absolute priveledge to be able to see such footage in episode 2)

Twig

I was of a certain age and even saw them live at the Hammersmith Apollo but I have to say that this seems overlong and lacking in direction. Of course it's nice to see old footage but all a bit aimless.

Somerset Fulham

I will say that this is a really good thread though!

55 threads about how Fulham played, didn't play or how Parker is doing every week do get a bit a dull. Good threads about things that aren't tied to Fulham should be massively encouraged in my view. Why shouldn't we chat shat about things that we all enjoy outside of Fulham?

Obvs I'm sorry if this goes against the roolz, lads!

Dr Know

Quote from: Twig on November 26, 2021, 11:43:38 PM
I was of a certain age and even saw them live at the Hammersmith Apollo but I have to say that this seems overlong and lacking in direction. Of course it's nice to see old footage but all a bit aimless.
I also saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon , January 1965 !  It became the Hammersmith Apollo in 1996 !

Twig

Quote from: Dr Know on November 27, 2021, 09:13:08 AM
I also saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon , January 1965 !  It became the Hammersmith Apollo in 1996 !

That was the year I was there and yes, I'm aware it changed name much later but I wasn't sure everybody on here would recognise the old name.
It was the Beatles Christmas concert and as I recall the supporting acts included; Freddie and the Dreamers, Sounds Incorporated and The New Vaudeville Band. But when I look at the records on the internet there is no mention of the latter which is a bit of a puzzle.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Finished watching the 3rd and final episode a few days ago. Excellent. (And little of the dragged out stuff i was feeling in the middle of episode 2)

Overrall a Fabtastic series.

Dr Know

Quote from: Twig on November 27, 2021, 10:52:40 AM

That was the year I was there and yes, I'm aware it changed name much later but I wasn't sure everybody on here would recognise the old name.
It was the Beatles Christmas concert and as I recall the supporting acts included; Freddie and the Dreamers, Sounds Incorporated and The New Vaudeville Band. But when I look at the records on the internet there is no mention of the latter which is a bit of a puzzle.
Also the Yardbirds and Elkie Brooks were on the bill !

RaySmith

They provide a soundtrack to my life - I bought their first lp, Please, Please Me,  I think, and  the first singles.
Remember singing , 'She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah' on a the balcony of my Tulse Hill Comp schoolmate, Colin's, block of council  flats in Stockwell, as he strummed his guitar - I really fancied his sister, but could never pluck up the courage to speak to her.

Later, Strawberry Fields Forever really seemed to sum up how I was feeling by then.

At college, up north, Hey Jude was always playing when I walked into the canteen.

Seen George Harrison's Concert for Bangla Desh, the first big rock benefit concert, loads of times at the  cinema - at a a time when there was no internet, videos, etc - mainly because of the Dylan footage, which you can now see easily on YouTube - though the whole film is very good, with Harrison, Eric Clapton, Billy Preston, Leon Russell, Ringo etc.

In the 90's, working with adults with severe learning difficulties, on the evening/night shift, a man  was always wanting Magical Mystery Tour and Help vids put on - I know those films off by heart now!

But I never saw the Beatles live, though I've seen the Stones a couple of times.

Steeeeeeeeeed

There are many clips popping up on YouTube now, here's a moving and sadly prophetic moment of Paul and Ringo after George had "left the band" and John hadn't turned up that morning...

https://youtu.be/RYzjNE0_NKY

And, yes, sadly prophetic of course.

Twig

Quote from: Dr Know on December 01, 2021, 05:07:54 AM
Quote from: Twig on November 27, 2021, 10:52:40 AM

Also the Yardbirds and Elkie Brooks were on the bill !

Yeah but I have no recollection of them at all. Which is weird because i became a big fan of the Animals and certainly was no fan at all of the rubbish that I do I remember, like the New Vaudeville Band and Freddie and the bloody Dreamers. I suppose I remember them just because theyr were so awful!

SP

Not a huge fan but really enjoyed seeing this slice of history. Brilliant seeing the creative process, I'm sure things are very different now.