Last time we were top and played second

Started by Texas White, November 28, 2021, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas White

Was Watford. And the Boxing Day massacre. 🤔

Fernhurst

Lovely memory.
Lee Clarke had a wonderful game.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Motspur Park

Was it not the Fulham v blackburn game (away). Famous, of course, for Souness's bitter comments.

Cambridge Away

Quote from: Fernhurst on November 28, 2021, 07:57:30 PM
Lovely memory.
When we played Watford at the Cottage, Lee Clark (without the 'e') was helping Sunderland to 105 points in Div 1

Fulham76

Quote from: Cambridge Away on November 29, 2021, 06:20:12 AM
Lovely memory.
When we played Watford at the Cottage, Lee Clark (without the 'e') was helping Sunderland to 105 points in Div 1

I'm pretty sure he was with us that season. Think we got him from Sunderland a year or 2 earlier.

Motspur Park

Fulham Team:
Fulham: Taylor, Finnan, Brevett, Melville, Coleman (Symons 77), Clark, Hayles, Goldbaek, Saha (Boa Morte 72), Davis, Fernandes (Stolcers 63).
Booked: Fernandes (16), dissent Davis (90), foul
Subs Not Used: Hahnemann, Sahnoun.
Goals: Saha 29 pen, Hayles 42, 56, 75, Stolcers 77.

AnotherOldgit

The last boxing day game I was able to get to. Thameslink used to run trains on boxing days but stopped shortly after and never resumed. Travelled back with loads of Watford fans - happy days!

Mickeyboro

My Dad's last Fulham game, on his 79th birthday.

He got talking to David Hamilton as he packed up his microphone and security had to throw us out half an hour later! Great memories...

Bill2

Was that the last game Chris Coleman played before smashing his leg?
I was at the game and he was magnificent as a leader that day.

Texas White

Yes that was a great memory.  We absolutely smashed them when it was expected to be a close game. Can anyone post the goals from u tube.

Motspur Park

Ludlow Richard

The last time we were top of any league on my birthday was 29 Nov 2000 in the Tigana Promotion Season.  Also happened in the Adams promotion season but not in the Keegan promotion season when we were second to Stoke on 29 Nov. Happy birthday to me......

Ludlow Richard

Quote from: Motspur Park on November 28, 2021, 08:20:42 PM
Was it not the Fulham v blackburn game (away). Famous, of course, for Souness's bitter comments.

That's right. Blackburn were 2nd when we played them on 11 April 2001. We of course were top.

fcfulham55

Sent from my Nokia 3310

Penfold

Quote from: Fulham76 on November 29, 2021, 08:06:23 AM
Quote from: Cambridge Away on November 29, 2021, 06:20:12 AM
Lovely memory.

I'm pretty sure he was with us that season. Think we got him from Sunderland a year or 2 earlier.

Correct. Signed from Sunderland in summer of 1999. Sunderland were in Premier League when we stuffed Watford on Boxing day 2000.

Texas White

That was great to see again... 👏👏 to those who posted the link.

It would be great to see a thorough job on Friday. COYW

Cambridge Away

Woah, that's blown my mind (and poor memory)...  I had our Watford game (top of the table) as happening in the Keegan promotion year.
Did Watford get promoted as Champions at the Cottage in the year we lost to Grimsby in the play off final? And then went on to the top of the table of the division above (Div 1) by the Tigana year?
I always remember the front cover of this book,

which someone bought me for Xmas one year. The author loved Chelsea fans and hated Fulham fans
(i guess we couldn't have both gone up as champions!)

Ironically, we also got tonked 5-0 by a Slavisa Watford at the Cottage. After the game near The Temperance a Watford supporter, who was old enough to know better, went to great lengths to revel in reminding us of the score (perhaps still salty after our previous destruction of them before)

Penfold

Quote from: Cambridge Away on November 30, 2021, 05:37:17 PM
Quote from: Cambridge Away on November 30, 2021, 05:29:02 PM
lost to Grimsby in the play off final
Semi obviously

Watford won title at Craven Cottage May 1998 (Division Two as it was then called). Ray Wilkins was sacked two days later. The following year, they won promotion to Premier League via play offs and were relegated back down to the first division in 2000.