watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Over to you Marco

Started by JimmyConway, December 21, 2021, 01:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyConway

Sheffield United were the best team so far this season who use the three at the back and two wing backs system. Most teams we have played who adopt this system we have picked off.
So why did we struggle last night? For me there were some worrying signs in regards to the lacklustre performance.
1. You have to question the management team on whether they were thorough in there assessment of the opposition. Since the new manager took over from Slav they have played high tempo. So why did we they think our normal approach would be sufficient. Did they think Seri would still have the time he likes on the ball to pick a pass? well the answer was for all to see after 15mins. I could see the logic in Cairney coming on but if anything we became more laboured rather than more fluent. They nullified our main outlets and threats Seri-Robinson-Wilson of which two were substituted so game set and match to there manager on how to stop Fulham on there own patch or make them look average. Be warned Marco others around the corner will be waiting looking to adopt similar tactics. We need to put teams especially at home on the backfoot not allow them to dictate how they want to play.

2. To stretch teams you need a fair degree of genuine pace something we don't have much of. We have vision but only in one or two players who if closed down like last night we are up the river without a paddle. The wingers need to be able to go down the line or beat their marker something neither of ours tend to do as they are more happy coming inside onto the favoured foot. If you are going to pull one or two of the centre backs out of position you need to use the whole pitch not keep running the same channels. The three central defenders for them last night were never out of position. Carvalho did not have a great game and if you are playing the 10 role you must have movement and drag them out where they do not want to go. One thing that was quite noticeable last night was Mitro's touch being poor considering the way we are setup his the focal point and does not help if the centre forward is having a off night. Saying that there central defenders were not backing down at any cost and smothered him. I am not opposed to wing backs we have three or four potentially good players who can fill that role perhaps think of using when it requires a horse for course scenario? match fire with fire?

3. Manager has to start earning his keep now. Had a lot of plaudits since he arrived but last 5 games or so apart from Bournemouth have started to show a couple of cracks which he needs to fill. Can he trust the likes of Kebano who might have already played his 3 or 4 best games this season? Might it be worth looking at Harry Wilson in the 10 role or as part of the midfield makeup? Do we start playing Chalobah now with Seri off in January or let Reed play his natural position of holding? Should Cairney only be used as coming off subs bench?

Just an observation watched Rodak quite close last night mainly first half and he is quite hesitant when the ball is at his feet often needs a second touch to have it under some kind of control. It certainly stopped momentum at times when looking to move the ball quicker. He does not look at ease when playing out and from the back. It seemed like he has to work really hard at this part of his game as oppose to it be natural for him.

Pluto

Good analysis and agreed! I do think we need to reintroduce Chalobah as soon as possible as we lack physicality in the middle.

filham

Very good post JC, agree with your every word.
Silva now has to start earning his keep, the honeymoon is over.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: filham on December 21, 2021, 01:56:32 PM
Very good post JC, agree with your every word.
Silva now has to start earning his keep, the honeymoon is over.

Precisely
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Pluto on December 21, 2021, 01:44:07 PM
Good analysis and agreed! I do think we need to reintroduce Chalobah as soon as possible as we lack physicality in the middle.

i agree
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

colinwhite

2 points clear at the top of the league at christmas looks pretty good to me. Id say he has earnn his keep without the need of any honeymoon!
we need to improve on yesterday though and the main ingredient I am missing is energy .

New Kid on the Block

I think Silva needs to replace Robbo with Joe, Seri with Cairney and Wilson with BDR. Robbo cos he's crap and the other two cos they need a break.

jarv