Main Menu

Academy questions

Started by FulhamKC, December 21, 2021, 03:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamKC

I don't know much about FFC's academy and am curious about the following:

1. When was it established?

2. How much do we spend on it annually?

3. How many players would you say that it has developed that have had a significantly successful career at FFC?

4. What percent of PL and Championship clubs have academies?

5. Do you think that the money spent on the academy would be better spent on more direct ways of improving the first team?

MickTheBeard

I would keep the academy at the moment but I would look at the Brentford system,also don't won't the extra money going Tony's way

FulhamKC

Any more thoughts on this from anyone?

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: FulhamKC on December 21, 2021, 03:50:40 PM
3. How many players would you say that it has developed that have had a significantly successful career at FFC?

Sessegnon, Bettinelli & Rodak spring to mind. Not much to show for the 20 something years since it was formed, but it's improving.

Quote from: FulhamKC on December 21, 2021, 03:50:40 PM
5. Do you think that the money spent on the academy would be better spent on more direct ways of improving the first team?

No; the Khans spend about as much as they can as allowed by FFP on transfers already; some of the money put towards the academy comes from government grants; not all academy related spending counts against FFP.

I think it's fair to say the academy is performing well, but integrating promising youngsters in to the first team has been a problem area.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

In answer to Q4. Just Google ' Barclays Premier League U18'
Sorry I cannot give you the link but you will see the 50 teams involved in North and South Sections.

FulhamKC

Appreciate the replies. I wonder if we could spend some of the Academy money beefing up the scouting department to find players who are under the radar but ready to play for FFC.

filham

Pre Academy our youth system delivered San Davis who was a great success and played for us in all four divisions.
We are still waiting for the Academy to produce a player to serve us as well as Sean Davis.

jayffc

Sessegnon - 30 million
Rodak - Great keeper so far
Betts- helped us get promoted
Fabio Carvalho - Yet to see if he continues his upward momentum but was our best player in early part of the season- yet to sign on for a longer contract but if he does that could work out very well for us. IF he's a success again his fee could presumably be added to the Sess level money making
Dembele - didn't play long for us but scored plenty and gone on to have a great career.
Fabio Carvalho - Yet to see if he continues his upward momentum - yet to sign on for a longer contract but if he does that could work out very well for us. IF he's a success again his fee could presumably be added to the Sess level money making
Cauley Woodrow- didn't do great for us but gone on to a half-decent career at a decent level

then you have the likes of Harvey Elliot who we should have got more money for but for personal choices.

All in all I would imagine the sale of the odd gem like Sess and potentially Cav IF we can get him to sign - same with Harvey Elliot where we really got screwed...

those types of players SHOULD more than make the Academy worthwhile you do run the gauntlet of them signing though

Stansfield could yet come good too we shall see. Id stick with it personally, we have enough money as it is

love4ffc

The academy produced two Americans that played small parts in the Championship the last time around.  Luca de la Torre who plays for Heracles Almelo now and Emerson Hyndman who bounced around between Bournemouth, Rangers and Hibernian FC before moving back to the States where he now plays for Atlanta United. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

filham

Quote from: jayffc on December 24, 2021, 01:09:25 AM
Sessegnon - 30 million
Rodak - Great keeper so far
Betts- helped us get promoted
Fabio Carvalho - Yet to see if he continues his upward momentum but was our best player in early part of the season- yet to sign on for a longer contract but if he does that could work out very well for us. IF he's a success again his fee could presumably be added to the Sess level money making
Dembele - didn't play long for us but scored plenty and gone on to have a great career.
Fabio Carvalho - Yet to see if he continues his upward momentum - yet to sign on for a longer contract but if he does that could work out very well for us. IF he's a success again his fee could presumably be added to the Sess level money making
Cauley Woodrow- didn't do great for us but gone on to a half-decent career at a decent level

then you have the likes of Harvey Elliot who we should have got more money for but for personal choices.

All in all I would imagine the sale of the odd gem like Sess and potentially Cav IF we can get him to sign - same with Harvey Elliot where we really got screwed...

those types of players SHOULD more than make the Academy worthwhile you do run the gauntlet of them signing though

Stansfield could yet come good too we shall see. Id stick with it personally, we have enough money as it is
Yes we thought all of those players were good but none of them has matched the record of Sean Davis.

Southcoastffc

Many
Rodak
Ryan Sess
Steven Sess
Bettinelli
Harvey Elliott
Moussa Dembele mkII
Pat Roberts
Mark Hudson
Neil Etheridge
Darren Pratley
Liam Fontaine
Kacaniklic
Elvis Hammond
Emerson Hyndman
Matthew  Briggs

And others..e.g...Djed Spence, Adebayo

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.