watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are We Missing Chris Smalling?

Started by White Noise, December 28, 2010, 09:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Anyone think we still shouldn't have got rid?

Aldo

Hughes & hangeland have been ever present so far this season so he probably wouldn't have got a look in! Besides £10m was a good deal at the time for a relatively inexperienced player!

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

£10 mil for a bucket of promise,good deal for me!

Willard

I'm assuming Halliche is the replacement there?

FatFreddysCat

In anouther year or two i think he'll be awesome and worth more than ten Million, but it was a great deal for us so no.

LBNo11

...the whole Smalling affair was very strange, when he came to us from Maidstone Utd he had U20 and U21 appearances under his belt, one former player described him as the "new Bobby Moore" and he was getting rave reviews - we found out that sir red nose and the bling whinger both rated him highly - and yet, I did not see anything in him to warrant such high praise. He played well against our neighbours, in spite of an own goal, but apart from that he looked pretty ordinary to me.

The bottom line is we made a lot of money from his sale, and to answer the question, no I don't miss him at all, but good luck to the lad...

PS: I hope the money we got for him will be ADDED to the transfer kitty in January...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 28, 2010, 10:10:12 PM
...the whole Smalling affair was very strange, when he came to us from Maidstone Utd he had U20 and U21 appearances under his belt, one former player described him as the "new Bobby Moore" and he was getting rave reviews - we found out that sir red nose and the bling whinger both rated him highly - and yet, I did not see anything in him to warrant such high praise. He played well against our neighbours, in spite of an own goal, but apart from that he looked pretty ordinary to me.

The bottom line is we made a lot of money from his sale, and to answer the question, no I don't miss him at all, but good luck to the lad...

PS: I hope the money we got for him will be ADDED to the transfer kitty in January...
He was superb in the early Euro games LB.

LBNo11

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on December 28, 2010, 10:12:00 PM
Quote from: LBNo11 on December 28, 2010, 10:10:12 PM

He was superb in the early Euro games LB.

...I'll grant you that Freddy, he did have a couple of good games (not sure about superb) in the Europa League, but there is no way I miss him compared to what we have already got...

AlFayedsChequebook

Now this is a simple answer - No.

Does that mean he is not good? Far from it. I reckon he will be England's starting centre back in a few years time.

The Equalizer

I've got 12 million reasons why I don't miss him.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Tom

Fulham for life!

Supermitch

We have not missed him as H & H have stayed fit / not been suspended.  If either of those occurrences arose we'd have Senderos when fit, Halliche and Baird who can play in that position.

The offer from Man Utd was so good there was no way we could afford to turn it down.  I think he will, in time, become a very good player for what its worth. 

SmithyFFC

Did he even play enough for us to really miss him?
FTID

Lighthouse

If that sort of money was offered for anybody in our team Fulham would take it. We seem to have strength in that area. Unless Smalling could play in central midfield I am not sure he will be missed. He had the odd good game in the Europa against average sides and has looked far from secure on the odd time he has turned out for United.

Although his threat at corners at both ends always impressed or scared me depending on the end.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

finnster01

I miss him about as much as I miss John Watson in a Fulham shirt.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

duffbeer

No but what did we do with the 10 million, hire a coaching posse for Marky Mark?

NogoodBoyo

Sorry, Wn - I think the answer is obtusely obvious.
Nogood "no hedge on that privet" Boyo

HatterDon

Smalling has featured a lot more than I expected him to, and has looked competent in every match I've seen him play this season [ 5 or 6]. Do we miss him? That's a silly question seeing as how Hughes and Hangeland have played every minute of the 19 league matches this season. Smalling will, indeed, play for England some day and I think all of us thought he was "one for the very near future" for Fulham. Having said that, for some reason we find it necessary to trash a kid who did well for us and got us a load of cash when he left. I don't understand the mentality that makes this sort of thing necessary and acceptable, but then I don't understand many many MANY things. 
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LBNo11

Quote from: HatterDon on December 29, 2010, 06:12:07 PM
Smalling has featured a lot more than I expected him to, and has looked competent in every match I've seen him play this season [ 5 or 6]. Do we miss him? That's a silly question seeing as how Hughes and Hangeland have played every minute of the 19 league matches this season. Smalling will, indeed, play for England some day and I think all of us thought he was "one for the very near future" for Fulham. Having said that, for some reason we find it necessary to trash a kid who did well for us and got us a load of cash when he left. I don't understand the mentality that makes this sort of thing necessary and acceptable, but then I don't understand many many MANY things. 

...not sure if what I (and a couple of others) see as an individual is trashing, but I only say what I saw. I am constantly reminded that I am not the manager so consequently clueless with invalid opinions - so any points of view I have should be taken with a pinch of salt.

That said, I will re-iterate, he had two or three games that he was very good (I don't deny he may have promise - but over all nothing particularly special to my unqualified eyes) but apart from that I was happy for Fulham to take the money - especially as he was too young to play for Fulham!

No external influence or bandwagon was harmed in this reply - just sayin'...

HatterDon

Quote from: LBNo11 on December 29, 2010, 06:46:39 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on December 29, 2010, 06:12:07 PM

...not sure if what I (and a couple of others) see as an individual is trashing, but I only say what I saw. I am constantly reminded that I am not the manager so consequently clueless with invalid opinions - so any points of view I have should be taken with a pinch of salt.

That said, I will re-iterate, he had two or three games that he was very good (I don't deny he may have promise - but over all nothing particularly special to my unqualified eyes) but apart from that I was happy for Fulham to take the money - especially as he was too young to play for Fulham!

No external influence or bandwagon was harmed in this reply - just sayin'...

Fair call, Mr. Ed  :dead horse: Sorry, you must have known that was coming sooner or later.

I think I was mostly harkening back to the "Sir Alex must be insane; the lad is garbage" stuff we saw on here after the deal was struck.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel