watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Marco Silva

Started by ChesterTheTabby, January 08, 2022, 04:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

Man, do I really like this guy. I love his post-Bristol press conference. Just very honest, doesn't complain (and when he does, it's warranted), and just drives on. Good man at the helm, forget the poor run of results, all clubs have them.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

FFC In Oz

Whilst I like Silva too, I don't think we can just "forget" the poor run of results.

We need to learn from them.

Silva's problem in previous jobs has been a lack of plan B.  We need to see some kind of contingency plan when opposition sides have us seemingly figured out.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: FFC In Oz on January 08, 2022, 04:43:24 PM
Whilst I like Silva too, I don't think we can just "forget" the poor run of results.

Silva's problem in previous jobs has been a lack of plan B.  We need to see some kind of contingency plan when opposition sides have us seemingly figured out.

Fair enough, and I do very much hope he has one!
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

WindyCity

Did not see the game, but by all accounts in this forum not a very well played game overall and a fortunate goal on a pass that somehow found the twine.  Take the win, should boost team morale I should think.

Yes, Silva has a tiger by the tail now.  Poor recent run and needs to get this team back on track.  He has good players but needs to figure out a winning scheme.  FFC looked so good earlier on and seemed to be more forceful in attack and moving forward, but in recent shows it just hasn't been there, and when it was, final third play just not up to par.  Reading game will be very interesting to see and hopefully FFC can put in a game that produces positive result.  COYW

Whitestone

Quote from: ChesterTheTabby on January 08, 2022, 04:45:32 PM
Quote from: FFC In Oz on January 08, 2022, 04:43:24 PM

Fair enough, and I do very much hope he has one!

I keep seeing comments about Silva and his lack of a Plan B and that his teams start well and then tail off. These type of comments seem to have been accepted as fact. There could be something in this. I don't know because what I haven't seen are any facts to back up this rhetoric.

grandad

The man & the Club have shown great integrity in not requesting postponements due to certain players testing positive for Covid & others being injured. Birmingham, Reading & Swansea were all playing the system to give their injured players time to recover before they play us.
Where there's a will there's a wife

filham

Just consider the 90 minutes today and that means only three goals in six matches. When will plan B be introduced.

Twig

I'm not sure about this plan B stuff. Parker was also lambasted for the same thing. How many managers really, really have two completely distinct playing styles or team set ups?  I don't recall Tigana having an alternative to his exhilarating christmas tree, I don't recall Joka having a back up style and I don't think Roy ever really deviated much from his preferred approach.

Perhaps my memory is letting me down, it's not intended to be confrontational just a genuine question.

Jules

Never mind Plan B, we just need to get our Plan A firing again. We haven't seen it since the Blackburn game. That is, high intensity, off the ball movement into space and quick passing with the ball, and pressing in packs to win the ball back quickly when we lose it. This is what we need. The quality we have will shine through if we increase the tempo of our play.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Jules on January 08, 2022, 06:31:48 PM
Never mind Plan B, we just need to get our Plan A firing again. We haven't seen it since the Blackburn game. That is, high intensity, off the ball movement into space and quick passing with the ball, and pressing in packs to win the ball back quickly when we lose it. This is what we need. The quality we have will shine through if we increase the tempo of our play.
Well said

e4b

Well said Twig. Plan B seems to be a none footballing commentators  rhetoric. Most good managers have faith in their plan A 

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: filham on January 08, 2022, 05:33:47 PM
Just consider the 90 minutes today and that means only three goals in six matches. When will plan B be introduced.
We won

HatterDon

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on January 08, 2022, 06:42:24 PM
Quote from: filham on January 08, 2022, 05:33:47 PM
We won
Which is the point. We lost one match after two plus months undefeated and ... well, you know.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

TC's Sporran

plan B is try and get plan A working better

Motspur Park

Plan B is a modern day cliche which is used for virtually everything. It means nothing. It is fundamental  in football that when teams fear us and pack their defences and midfield to stop our creativity, we have to find a way through and over 90 minutes,we will get chances. It is down to how clinical our players are. At the start of the season Mitro was in a purple patch, Carvalho was a great foil and Wilson et al were all chipping in. That needs to be the case again or at least some of that needs to be happening.

toshes mate

Plan A was to learn to be fluent in a language.  Plan B is the realisation that Plan A doesn't always work successfully, no matter how well it may have worked for us at some point in time (like passing an exam for example).   

How many 'plans' are there in one football attack spanning from one end of the pitch to the other  involving all eleven players and resulting on an attempt on goal?  How often did the 'plan' change as a result of an opponent making an error of judgement because their plan X was not fit for purpose?

Randomness rules everything and our plans generally work better when we accommodate for it. Intelligent people use their experience, skills and understandings of life to make the best of largely chance outcomes.   Of course the philosophy doesn't always work but then trying alternatives can appear to make things worse just as often as they may appear to make things better.   

Marco Silva must be well versed in these darker arts as his post-match summaries demonstrate.     

bobby01

I don't get all this "Marco has a reputation for no plan b" same thing was being said when he took over on dead ball situations " Marco has a reputation for not being able to set teams up to defend dead balls". Stats don't show that, personally I think he is doing a grand job, I am happy with the league position we are in and still believe he will work out the way to take us up automatically.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: e4b on January 08, 2022, 06:41:20 PM
Well said Twig. Plan B seems to be a none footballing commentators  rhetoric. Most good managers have faith in their plan A 

I'm pretty sure unless you're managing the likes of City, Real etc most managers are going to make tweaks to their style and line up according to their opponents.

blingo

So many experts with so little knowledge lol lol lol

FFC1987

Quote from: blingo on January 09, 2022, 12:44:27 PM
So many experts with so little knowledge lol lol lol

Here comes the wisdom.......