watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (29/12/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, December 29, 2010, 08:09:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/HughesStokeReaction.aspx

We Were Immense

Fulham Manager Mark Hughes was understandably delighted with his Team's performance at the Britannia Stadium following Fulham's two-nil win over Stoke City.

Hughes was full of praise for his players following the final whistle, highlighting the commitment and desire that made his Team worthy winners on the day.

"I think everybody could see the intensity and focus to our game," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "We came here [Britannia Stadium] frustrated due to our position in the League. That helped our focus and I thought we were immense today. Everybody was exceptional.

"That's what we need in away games – a resolute mindset and we set the standard today. It could be a season defining win.

"It's been too long since our last away win but today our play was spot on. We thoroughly deserved the win and we played some really good stuff. In the second half we stood up to a bit of an onslaught but we expected that.

"I know I've got a good group of players and when we play as well as we did today I know we won't have any issues. The most important thing is we'

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/HughesStokeReaction.aspx#ixzz19UQyOs00

gang

Isn't any block by the FA on Ochoa, on the grounds of a disability, illegal?

The Bronsons

Quote from: gang on December 29, 2010, 09:47:46 AM
Isn't any block by the FA on Ochoa, on the grounds of a disability, illegal?

Sounds like grounds for legal action, if it's true. But Hughes denied any interest in the player, so it's more likely that it's all huff and puff from the press and the guy's agent, and the six-finger story is just a way to 'explain' to Mexican fans why nothing has come of it.

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8229208/Fulham-manager-Mark-Hughes-praises-players-after-rare-away-win-at-Stoke-City.html?

Fulham manager Mark Hughes praises players after rare away win at Stoke City
Under pressure Fulham manager Mark Hughes has paid tribute to the focus of his players after they got themselves out of the Premier League relegation zone with a rare away win at Stoke.

Redemption: Fulham's rare away win against Stoke has helped to ease some pressure on manager Mark Hughes
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Fulham's decline from Europa League finalists to relegation candidates saw Hughes' position come under intense scrutiny and he was allegedly given three games – Stoke, Tottenham away and West Brom at home – to save his job.

And the 2-0 win at the Britannia Stadium – Fulham's first away win in the league in 27 attempts – could be crucial in Hughes retaining his position as manager.

Chris Baird's early brace paired with Fulham's dominance all over the park made sure an away win was the only likely result and according to Hughes this was down to a mixture of intensity and frustration.

"There was real intensity to our focus before and during the game,'' Hughes said.

"We came here with frustration – that was the thing we were all feeling in terms of where we were sat in the league, but that helped our focus and I thought we were immense.

"Everybody on the field of play was exceptional – big performances from every part of the team, and that is what you need.

''Maybe that has been lacking in away games, that intensity that you need and resolute mindset.

''So we set the standard in terms of that and it could be a season-defining win for us.''

Fulham were dreadful in their Boxing Day home defeat to West Ham and the pressure was rightly on the Welshman, but he believes that there will be no further issues if the Cottagers continue to perform like they did against Stoke.

Hughes said he had spoken to chief executive Alistair Mackintosh and chairman Mohamed Al Fayed who both agreed to stand by their manager.

Hughes added: "This week it seems to have been me, next week it will be someone else – that is the nature of the job and we all accept it.

"It is not nice when that focus lands at your doorstep, but I know I have a good group of players that, given the rub of the green and when they play as well as they did here, will have no problems this season."

"I have got great support from Alistair Mackintosh and I spoke to the chairman (Mohamed Al Fayed) on Monday night, who is very supportive.

"They understand where we are and what we need, and the reasons why we find ourselves in the bottom half.

"We will look to address them, but in the mean time, the guys I have got playing for me are doing their best."

WhiteJC

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/football/Stoke-City-Fans-say-Stoke-s-defeat-Fulham/article-3046605-detail/article.html?

Stoke City: Fans have their say on Stoke's defeat by Fulham
THIS was a typical Potters December display, and the fact Fulham had not won away from home for so long made the result even more difficult to take.

Christmas at the inn obviously did not work because we looked like strangers on the pitch at times during this match.

If we had scored early in the game, Fulham may have folded. But scoring two goals in the first 10 minutes gave the Cottagers all the confidence in the world, and we were made to chase shadows for the rest of the first half.

The referee was in black, and it was often difficult to see him amid the dark green-clad Fulham players.

He did, however, manage to make himself more obvious by missing four handballs in the opposition box.

Jermaine Pennant left the pitch to chants of "Sign him up, sign him up". I hope we do, because we need him.

SUE BRYAN, Meir Park

THIS was one of our worst performances since promotion in 2008.

You cannot gift two-goal leads at this level, especially when you then only force the opposition goalkeeper to make one solitary save.

The one positive from the game was that it looks like Jermaine Pennant will now sign for us.

He has been the missing piece in the jigsaw in recent months and I'll be delighted if he continues playing in the red and white stripes.

JAMES KNOWLES, Eccleshall

WE never recovered from the horror of the first 10 minutes – what a pity the fog didn't come down a bit thicker.

We stood off Fulham throughout, possibly as a result of over-confidence following our Boxing Day win at Blackburn.

Kenwyne Jones had a couple of half chances, and we had one effort cleared off the line, but that was it for the first half.

We kicked towards the Boothen End in the second half and the fans became very frustrated when at least four handballs in the Fulham penalty area were ignored by the referee.

We had a few chances, but when Ricardo Fuller squandered a golden opportunity while he dillied and dallied in the Fulham six-yard box, I just knew we would get nothing from this game.

DAVE HARRISON, Eaton Park

WhiteJC

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/football/Stoke-City-Post-match-stats-Stoke-s-Premier-League-clash-Fulham/article-3046589-detail/article.html?

Stoke City: Post match stats for Stoke's Premier League clash with Fulham
STOKE CITY 0

FULHAM 2

(Baird 4; 10)

POSSESSION

Stoke City 48 per cent

Fulham 52 per cent

GOAL ATTEMPTS

Stoke 13 (7 on target)

Fulham 3 (3 on target)

CORNERS

Stoke City 9

Fulham 2

THE REFEREE

Kevin Friend (Gloucestershire) 6

FOULS

Stoke City 8

Fulham 12

CARD WATCH

YELLOW – Stoke: Huth (foul, 81). Fulham: Baird (foul, 56). RED – Stoke: None. Fulham: None.

THE CROWD

Attendance 26,954

MATCH RATING

Entertainment 6

1 BEGOVIC: Got the slightest touch to first goal, but failed to reach second during a fraught first 10 minutes 6

28 WILKINSON: Full of honest intent chasing the game, but unable to strike the perfect combination with Pennant 6

5 COLLINS: Unlucky that his header should inadvertently tee up first goal on a day when he gave Duff few sniffs 6

17 SHAWCROSS: Recovered from tough start to enjoy a great tussle with Andy Johnson that proved he's far more than just a good header of the ball 7

4 HUTH: Good turn of pace when required at the back and threatened with head and feet in opposition area 7

16 PENNANT: Some decent crosses, usual energy and one late shot blocked on what could be his farewell appearance 7

18 WHITEHEAD: Buzzed around in the midfield exchanges and demanded a penalty when volleying over early on 6

24 DELAP: Nasty crack to the head early on, but offered usual midfield toil and many throws 6

26 ETHERINGTON: A couple of near-misses on goal, but just not his day in the final third. Made way with 20 minutes to go 6

19 WALTERS: Decent enough display, but had to be sacrificed for Fuller's cutting edge 6

9 JONES: Couldn't quite direct a couple of headers as he struggles for that elusive goal to kick-start his season again 6

SUBSTITUTES

10 FULLER (for Walters, 56): Disappointed not to get a crack on goal, but he wasn't the only one out there 6

20 TUNCAY (for Etherington, 69): Little chance to showcase his talents where it mattered and when it mattered 6

12 WILSON (for Wilkinson, 79): Slotted into central midfield and lobbed through a fair opening for Fuller soon after stepping off the bench 6

Not used: 29 Sorensen, 3 Higginbotham, 6 Whelan, 7 Gudjohnsen.

FULHAM: 1 Schwarzer, 4 Pantsil, 6 Baird, 5 Hangeland, 18 Hughes, 29 Davies, 13 Murphy, 20 Etuhu, 16 Duff, 23 Dempsey, 8 A Johnson. Not used: 12 Stockdale, 3 Salcido, 11 Gera, 15 Kamara, 26 Dikgacoi, 27 Greening, 32 Halliche.

WhiteJC

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/football/Stoke-City-Fulham-just-good-admits-Huth/article-3046631-detail/article.html?

Stoke City: Fulham were just too good for us, admits Huth
ROBERT Huth said Stoke could have no complaints about their defeat to Fulham, despite throwing everything at the London side, writes Michael Baggaley.

City were stunned when left-back Chris Baird fired home two long-range efforts, but at least the home side took the game to Mark Hughes's team for the rest of the contest.

Centre-half Huth was twice denied by Cottagers keeper Mark Schwarzer after the break, but the German defender said City had too few clear-cut chances to claim they were hard done by.

He said: "Fulham did well. They dealt with everything we threw at them. It wasn't for lack of trying on our part, but they defended really well.

"They caught us cold and, once they were 2-0 up, it was difficult for us. We had a couple of dangerous opportunities, but Fulham fully deserved it because I don't think Mark Schwarzer had too many saves to make."

Huth thanked the Stoke supporters for staying right behind their team, despite Fulham's flying start. City sold out the home ends in the 26,954 crowd.

He added: "They always get behind us like that, and we don't expect anything else. I am sure the supporters could see the effort we were putting in.

"Sometimes that will work but, as a player, all you can do is give your all.

"But Fulham were a little bit better than us. We put them under a lot of pressure, but they deserved to win."

City have struggled with being favourites in their last couple of outings at the Britannia.

At the start of the season, the home games against Blackpool and Fulham would have appeared two of their most promising fixtures, but they were outplayed on their way to a 1-0 defeat by the Seasiders and also failed to break down a determined Fulham side too.

That was in some contrast to City's confident performance in a 2-0 win at Blackburn on Boxing Day. However, Huth felt yesterday's result wasn't because City were labouring under the pressure of expectation. He said it was fairer to attribute the result to a decent performance from a Fulham side who are better than their position in the bottom three at the start of the day.

He said: "Fulham have had some tough times recently, but we watched their defeat at West Ham on Boxing Day and they had some bad luck.

"But they passed the ball around really well, as they did against us in this game."

Meanwhile, it will be a quiet start to the new year for Huth.

He faces a one-match ban after picking up his fifth booking of the season yesterday, meaning he misses Saturday's home clash with Everton.

MICHAEL BAGGALEY

WhiteJC

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/football/Stoke-City-Pulis-accused-keeper-match-goes-begging/article-3046632-detail/article.html?

Stoke City: Pulis accuses keeper as match goes begging

DOWN AND OUT: Goalkeeper Asmir Begovic was at least partly to blame for both Fulham goals yesterday, according to boss Tony Pulis. Pictures: Clare Jennings
By Stoke City Martin Spinks

TONY Pulis pointed an accusing finger at goalkeeper Asmir Begovic for both Fulham goals at the Britannia yesterday afternoon, writes Martin Spinks.

But the Stoke boss then insisted the young Bosnian has the potential to one day be mentioned in the same breath as Stoke greats Gordon Banks and Peter Shilton.

Begovic and his defence were caught cold by two Chris Baird strikes inside the first 10 minutes, prompting Pulis, pictured right, to say: "I think Asmir is going to be as good a goalkeeper as this club has had, but he would save those in training.

"He would be disappointed not to save the first one. On the second, a free-kick, he's moved two yards behind his wall when he's got to look after the other side of the wall.

"They are two poor goals in respect of what you expect from him. He's a top, top goalkeeper and he can make saves like that.

"But young goalkeepers, if you're going to play them, are going to have their moments."

Not that Pulis was exempting the rest of his players from any blame for a dreadful start to yesterday's final fixture of 2010.

"The start was very, very poor for us," he continued. "We did really well at Blackburn, and have been really bubbly over the last couple of days away from home, but like all human beings they can let you down and let themselves down.

"But after the first 20 minutes we got more into the game and just needed a goal. If we had got one, it might have been a different game."

Pulis said he hadn't seen various penalty shouts on TV, but was more incensed by the sight of Fulham defender Brede Hangeland clashing heads with Rory Delap during a reckless challenge early in the game.

"It was a poor, poor challenge," he said. "The referee is two yards away but doesn't give a free-kick, never mind book him.

"I knew Rory was hurt because he wouldn't stay down for that long."

Meanwhile, Pulis played down his cursory after-match handshake with opposite number Mark Hughes after recalling that the Fulham boss had done the same to him after a Carling Cup tie earlier this season.

The pair barely made contact with their hands at the final whistle, and Pulis commented: "He's done it when we played in the League Cup and I've done it back.

"It's two Welshmen with a bit of competition, but I won't lose any sleep over it and I'm sure he won't either."

Hughes admitted: "He is probably getting his own back, because I did a similar thing last time in the League Cup.

" I was a little bit aggrieved one of his players (Andy Wilkinson) had taken out Moussa Dembele when it was unnecessary."

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/potters-win-has-set-the-standard-hughes-1140503.html?

Potters win has set the standard - Hughes

Mark Hughes claims his Fulham side's win at Stoke has 'set the standard' for the season and he hopes they can push on up the table now.

The Cottagers slipped into the Premier League relegation places following a 3-1 Boxing Day home defeat against bottom club West Ham which heaped the pressure on Hughes' shoulders.

However two stunning goals from Northern Ireland international defender Chris Baird in the opening 10 minutes at the Britannia Stadium on Tuesday secured a 2-0 win - their first away from Craven Cottage in 27 league attempts - and lifted the side out of the bottom three.

And the Cottagers boss hailed his side's performance, while hoping they can now make some progress and pull away from the danger zone.

"There was real intensity to our focus before and during the game," Hughes said.

"We came here with frustration - that was the thing we were all feeling in terms of where we were sat in the league, but that helped our focus and I thought we were immense.

"Everybody on the field of play was exceptional - big performances from every part of the team, and that is what you need.

"Maybe that has been lacking in away games, that intensity that you need and resolute mindset.

"So we set the standard in terms of that and it could be a season-defining win for us."

WhiteJC

http://www.muswellhilljournal24.co.uk:80/tottenham-hotspur/tottenham-hotspur/spurs_star_targets_winning_start_to_2011_against_fulham_1_763091?

Spurs star targets winning start to 2011 against Fulham

SEBASTIEN Bassong is urging his Spurs team-mates to start 2011 the way they mean to continue – with a home win over Fulham on New Year's Day.

Tottenham host Mark Hughes' Cottagers on Saturday and Bassong admits that nothing less than victory will suffice as the race for the top four intensifies.

"It's going to be the new year and if we're going to start 2011 it's going to be really important to win and to keep going like that," said Bassong. "We're on a run of good results after Chelsea, Villa and now Newcastle, and if we want to be in the top four at the end of the season we've got to carry on like that. There's no other way to do it.

"The home games are really important, we simply have to win them, there's no other option. Fulham are going to come here on Saturday and it's going to be a London derby so it's going to be a good game.

"Like last year, we believe in ourselves because we know we've got a really good squad. We're showing our character and quality to make sure that nothing can make us go backward and stop us from reaching the top four. The only way to do that is by winning games. I don't care who the top four is this season, I just want Tottenham to be there, that's it."

Bassong, who started on the bench against his former team Newcastle but replaced Younes Kaboul when the Frenchman was sent off in the second half, insists he is happy with his role in the squad.

And the 24-year-old was particularly pleased to play his part in a rare clean sheet for Harry Redknapp's side.

"With our squad, it's in and out. It's up to the manager," said Bassong. "I've been playing the last five games or so, then I was dropped, now I'm in again. That's how it works. We're in a big team, we've got to accept that and accept the competition.

"It was a tough victory, I think this one was really important, coming two days after the last one on Boxing Day. We went down to 10 men again, we showed a lot of character and we were really strong, so I think we deserved to win.

"The clean sheet is really important for us, especially for a defender - not conceding a goal at home makes us full of confidence. We're an attacking team, we're attacking a lot and sometimes for a defender it's quite hard because all the players are going to attack so we've got to sort all the problems out.

"At the end of the game if we win the game we just forget about conceding goals, but I think it's a very good thing to not concede.

"I was a bit sensitive about playing against my old team but I was happy to get the chance to play against them on the pitch and thankfully we won so it's a lot better."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/BairdStokeReaction.aspx?

Smashed It

Mark Hughes' decision to recall Chris Baird to the starting eleven against Stoke City on Tuesday afternoon turned out to be an inspired decision from Fulham's Manager.

The Northern Ireland international defender marked his return with an exceptional display. After smashing home two thunderous drives within the first ten minutes of play, Baird delivered a faultless defensive performance as Fulham earned all three points and a clean sheet.

Baird was typically modest when discussing his brace on Tuesday evening, but could not hide his delight at scoring his first goals for the Club since his move to SW6 in the summer of 2007. 

"I'm delighted with my first goals for Fulham," Baird told fulhamfc.com. "The first one I couldn't have hit any better and the second one I knew I was going to take as soon as we won the free-kick.

"Thankfully it went in and I just wanted to smash it as hard as I could and hope for the best. I'm just delighted to have scored two goals.

"I've taken a few [free-kicks] in training before that have gone in and I knew after scoring the first goal I was going to take it and thankfully it went in.

"I'm delighted because when you go to Stoke you know you're going to be under a lot of pressure. They're a good team and I thought we dealt with them unbelievably well.

"It's been a tough time lately and we've not kept many clean sheets in the past few games. When you drop into the bottom three it's not nice but now we're out of it hopefully we can put a good run together and stay away from the relegation zone."

Following Fulham's morale-boosting win, Mark Hughes described his Team's victory at the Britannia as potentially a "season-defining win" and Baird is hoping Tuesday's result will serve the Whites well against Spurs at White Hart Lane on New Year's Day. 

"Spurs are flying high," said Baird. "But we'll take confidence from the win against Stoke and see what happens on Saturday."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/BairdStokeReaction.aspx?#ixzz19VWRFWMG

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/12/road_to_damascus_goes_via_stok.php?

Road to Damascus goes via Stoke

Hughes hails a 'season-defining' moment as Fulham seal their first away win in 27 attempts, with Chris Baird the unlikeliest of heroes at the Britannia.

It was a struggle last Sunday staying true to my previously expressed belief that it's never a good idea composing blog copy in anger. How many of us recall busting up with old girlfriends via letters we maybe should never have sent, or e-mails to the boss telling him exactly what you thought of him and his lousy company. It feels great at the time...

Holiday commitments meant watching the West Ham horror show in the pub with other Fulham diehards from my village - a group of us with fond memories of last winter's away legs in the Europa League. Now we were suffering humiliation against the bottom side, a shambolic performance with no redeeming qualities. I sensed it coming, hinted as much in my last post prior to the holiday fixtures, but not wanting to cast too negative a shadow on Christmas Eve.

I did say to my closest Fulham buddy on the phone I had a 'really bad feeling' about the West Ham game, and so it played out. He happens to be strongly anti-Hughes, and, like many FFC fans I suspect, was not too unhappy with a loss which he saw as only precipitating Hughes exit. By Monday many papers were warming to the theme, with the odds on a Hughes sacking tumbling to 5/1. Those same papers had our gaffer explaining the team was lacking a 'cutting edge.' A quote akin to me posting via Wikipedia that the earth is indeed round.

Failing to turn possession into a 2nd goal during the 1st half of that Hammers loss cost us dearly, while the three goals conceded would never have been tolerated under Hodgson. A too casual Etuhu at fault for the leveller, Salcido - and not for the first time this season- miles off station for the killer 2nd right on half-time, and Hughes unable to deal with a long punt upfield to the solitary Cole. Add to the mix another blank day for AJ, Murphy - looking utterly haunted I must say - still conceding possession too often (and crucially when on the attack for what ultimately led up to their 2nd goal when play quickly switched to the Putney End), while continuing his unenviable record this season of yet to get one single shot on target.

The bad vibes were coming quicker than we could get to the bar at the pub. Etuhu was having a shocker. He and Danny so close together in the congestion of midfield they were actually tripping over each other. However, instead of leaving Dickson - a proud man who does have heart - in the dressing room, Hughes subs him six minutes into the 2nd half - thus ensuring he has to trot off to a stiff chorus of boos from an increasingly frustrated crowd. But when the board also showed our top scorer was being pulled for the wonder that is Eddie Johnson, the cry of "You don't know what you're doing," came loud and clear.

By the end of Sunday's game I felt both that Hughes had indeed touched bottom and that his days were numbered. My feeling was that only the fact of another fixture 2 days later would spare the boss for now - giving the board no time to make contingencies should Hughes contract be torn up. Facing what I felt were inevitable road losses to come at Stoke and Spurs I sensed both a place in the bottom three and Hughes sacking by January were inevitable.

It may still happen. Two goals in six minutes out of the blue from Baird cannot paper over all the cracks. We still have no attack to speak of, and Zamora won't be fit for 2 months. But Stoke - of all places - showed the side, especially in defence - still has what it takes. Both the manager's changes were vindicated, I saw flashes of the old Duff again for the first time this campaign, both he and Simon worked valiantly to try and turn Stoke's big men down the flanks.
And unfortunate though it is to see Gera made the scapegoat, at least from the bench both he and Kamara must surely be pushed on ahead of the hapless Eddie in future?

Add to the above the fact that Hughes can finally turn into deeds what he's been telling us for months from January - that he will now go out and buy the players so badly needed. Not sure Samba should be heading that list with both Halliche and Senderos in the ranks, although I do rate him a real leader on the pitch, but let's see where Hughes deals first. Yes, we can tolerate a loss at the Lane Saturday after the Stoke win, but the so sweet victory over the graceless Pulis and his industrial unit will count for nowt if the clouds return with failure to beat West Brom.

The flame, flickering in recent weeks, still burns bright down by the Thames. Let me know how how you see things developing for the Whites in 2011. Fan feedback suggests Hughes still has many detractors, but disruption for the sake of it, and few obvious candidates to replace him, raises more questons than answers. Finally, a Happy New Year to everyone following this blog.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/HughesPraisesBaird.aspx?

Praise For Baird

Whilst praising his Team as a collective unit following Tuesday's impressive victory over Stoke at the Britannia Stadium, Manager Mark Hughes took the time to praise the individual performance of Chris Baird following the defender's memorable return to the starting eleven.

"Everybody on the field of play was exceptional against Stoke," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "It was a big performance from every part of the Team. That's what you need and maybe that's what has been lacking in away games.

"You need that intensity and a resolute mindset that maybe we haven't had. We've set the standard today and it could be a season-defining win.

"Chris is arguably one of the best strikers of the ball we have at Fulham and he has the capacity to produce what he did on Tuesday.

"We're delighted they came against Stoke and the first goal, well I've seen him do that in training and it was a fantastic strike. The second one from the free-kick, as soon as it left his foot it was goal bound.

"I'm pleased for him [Baird] because he's had to be patient and wait for his time but he fully deserved and justified his selection on Tuesday."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/December/HughesPraisesBaird.aspx?#ixzz19VX5jvHu

WhiteJC

http://www.betfairfootball.com/premier-league/fulham/fulham-survival-bid-aided-by-rare-away-win-291210.html?

Fulham survival bid aided by rare away win

It didn't look to be the case before Christmas but it would appear that the clubs at the bottom of the Premier League do want to stay up after all!

Firstly, Wigan and West Ham displayed their appetite for survival with impressive away wins on Boxing Day and now Fulham showed that the crisis at Craven Cottage isn't as severe as first feared by recording their first league victory on the road since August 15 2009.

West Ham's shock 3-1 travelling triumph in west London was their first since that same date 16 months ago and pushed Fulham into the relegation zone, prompting speculation that Mark Hughes was in danger of getting sacked as the Cottagers struggled to adapt to life after Roy Hodgson.

However, they responded in encouraging fashion with a 2-0 success at Stoke, defender Chris Baird - recalled for out-of-form Carlos Salcido - emerging as the unlikely hero with two goals in the opening ten minutes, to fight their way out of the bottom three, a position they will close the year in provided Arsenal beat Wigan tonight.

Fulham's problem has been a struggle to score goals in the absence of Bobby Zamora and the lack of the spark with which to turn draws into wins, as illustrated by the fact they've actually lost less than a third of their games, so there is optimism that their unexpected three points at the Britannia will prove a turning point.

After a tricky New Year's Day trip to Tottenham, Fulham face West Brom, Wigan and Stoke and six points from those fixtures would put them on much safer ground, which is presumably why they are out to 4.3 to go down having been just 3.15 following the West Ham defeat.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=226085

Hughes on Immense Fulham Victory!
500 days between away wins in the Premier League, something I`d hope the team will not contemplate putting us through again.

The win at Stoke, yesterday, has seen some of the pressure on Mark Hughes lifted; we`re now out of the bottom three and ready to move on.

After the game, in his post match press conference, Mark spoke about this perpetual desire to put somebody`s name in the frame for the sack, remarking,

"This week it seems to have been me, next week it will be someone else."

"It`s not nice when it lands on your doorstep so it was nice to win."

"I didn`t feel the need to speak to the board. I have great support from Alistair Mackintosh. And I spoke to the chairman on Monday and he`s very supportive. They understand where we are and what we need."

And as for the result,

"This could be a season-defining win for is. We were immense."

We were good, defensively, but there`s no denying those two early goals from Chris Baird set it all up rather nicely!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=226085#ixzz19W18XEbl

WhiteJC

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/12/29/bairds_bullet_one_of_the_best_hughes?

Baird's bullet one of the best - Hughes
Fulham boss Mark Hughes rated the first of Chris Baird's double strike against Stoke as a goal of the season contender - and was surprised to learn how long it had been since the Northern Ireland international last hit the back of the net.

Baird was the unlikely hero in the Cottagers' 2-0 win at the Britannia Stadium, netting twice from outside the area in the opening 10 minutes. In the fourth minute he unleashed a bullet of a shot that Asmir Begovic could not prevent from crashing in off the post.

The 28-year-old then swiftly followed it up by beating Begovic with a low drive, having been teed up by a free-kick.

Baird - who had been brought into the Fulham side by Hughes for the game in place of Carlos Salcido - had never scored for the London outfit before and his last goal had come for Southampton against Cardiff in a Championship fixture in March 2007.

When told it had been almost four years since Baird's previous goal, the manager said: "Is it? Well that surprises me, because arguably, he is one of the best strikers of the ball that we have at the club, so he has that capacity to produce what he did.

"With the first one, as soon as it sat up - I have seen him do that in training and it is a fantastic strike, arguably goal of the season I would suggest. The second one from the free-kick, as soon as it left his foot it was goal-bound. I'm pleased for him. He has had to be patient and wait his time, but fully deserved his selection and justified it."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=226091

Fulham - That Little Spat!
The ill-feeling runs deep or does it?

Yesterday, when Fulham travelled to Stoke, we expected the jeers that greeted Danny Murphy. After all Danny had been very vociferous in his condemnation of how Stoke (and other teams) go about their business in the Premier League.

But, thankfully, that`s all they were jeers.

However, when the final whistle went the refusal of Tony Pulis to shake the hand of Mark Hughes, in defeat, might have been another matter, especially after Hughes had actively criticised Stoke after he`d seen Moussa Dembele pole-axed, in injury time, in our Carling Cup clash at the Britannia Stadium earlier this season.

But, once again, there doesn`t appear to have been too much ill-intent in it with Pulis explaining afterwards,

"He did it to me when we played in the League Cup and now I`ve done it to him."

"We`re just two Welshman with a bit of competition in us. I certainly won`t lose any sleep over it and I`m sure he won`t either."

With Hughes also commenting,

"I did a similar thing in the League Cup because I was aggrieved when one of Stoke`s players took out Moussa Dembele."

Now come on gents, how old are you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=226091#ixzz19W3Zs2JI

White Noise

Mark Hughes' detractors among the Fulham faithful have been complaining with increasing volume about the team's lack of fight. Their win at Stoke should put paid to that.

Hughes is a good manager and will not tolerate a lack of resolve in his players.

Fulham have injury problems and they need new faces in several positions but, given time, Hughes will get things right. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1342401/LEO-SPALL-Theo-Walcott-Arsenals-action-hero-Chelsea.html#ixzz19WJAWZvu

White Noise

Chris of life

Defender Chris Baird came into the Fulham team on Tuesday and scored two goals that could be crucial to Mark Hughes and his chances of survival.
It was an inspired choice. I played with Chris at Southampton and he is a lovely striker of the ball. He is also a good professional, the sort of lad who will never give a manager any trouble.
And he has certainly done his best to get Mark out of it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1342355/Jamie-Redknapp-Mario-Balotelli-like-young-Eric-Cantona.html#ixzz19WJoy8CU

White Noise

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/12/29/steve-mcclaren-roy-hodgson-alan-pardew-liverpool-newcastle/

Hodgson and McClaren Among Frontline Candidates for Next Wave of Managerial Changes

29/12/2010 6:45 AM GMT By Brian Glanville

Round and round spins the managerial merry-go-round. Who will drop off it next and who may climb on it?

We have seen Mike Ashley, Newcastle's nouveau-riche owner, sack yet another incumbent in the shape of the promoted coach and former Spurs and Ireland defender, Chris Hughton. This, though Houghton had ably guided Newcastle back into the Premier League last season and had established the Magpies in mid table during the present campaign. It is still hard to see how his successor, Alan Pardew, though certainly a lot more experienced as a manager, can be expected to work wonders. At least on his own managerial record.

An outstanding member of a Crystal Palace Team which reached an FA cup final and all but surprised Manchester United at Wembley, he resourcefully managed West Ham United to a cup final they lost in Cardiff to Liverpool, only after extra time. But did all this justify the lavish five-and-a-half-year contract Ashley has given him? We shall see.

In Germany, the former ill-fated England manager, alias "the wally with a brolly", Steve McClaren, who revived his career in Holland with FC Twente, is now in dire danger of the sack in the German Bundesliga at Wolfsburg, the club owned by Volkswagen, since his arrival, there has been a steep decline in form and the recent cup elimination at home by Cottbus, a lower-league team, looked as if it would be the last straw. But McClaren has hung on by the skin of his teeth. He'll certainly not survive the summer.

Rafa Benitez probably couldn't care less about his recent all too predictable sacking by Inter Milan. It had plainly been coming since he took over from Jose Mourinho this season and he made it inevitable with an outburst against the club for not letting him have more transfer money. Dismissed, he pockets £2.5 million compensation. When he left Liverpool, after last season it was still more: £4.5 million, though I was under the impression he'd resigned rather than being dismissed, after his abysmal final season on Merseyside. Yet now, the sentimental scouser fans seem to want him back. But why?

Yes, Liverpool won the European cup final under his regime, in Istanbul. But this was arguably despite him, rather than because of him; only at half-time with Liverpool 3-0 down did he belatedly decide to put on Dietmar Hamann to mark the rampant Kaka. So Liverpool made it 3-3 and won on spot kicks in extra time, Kaka having been subdued.

A curious triumph. But Rafa's transfer policy last season was a disaster and his successor, Roy Hodgson, so shrewdly successful at Fulham, has had to pick up the pieces. Sometimes but not always assisted by the sporadic brilliance of Spain's Fernando Torres. With Lucas the Brazilian midfielder, at last showing exuberant form.

When I saw West Ham rise from the canvas to beat Fulham 3-1 at Craven Cottage, a sudden role reversal saw Hammers Israeli manager Avram Grant climb out of a hole and give way into it to Fulham's Mark Hughes, taunted by a usually faithful crowd. Either London team could go down. Fulham began that game as though they would walk it: only to fall apart. A mystery.