News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What did Harry Wilson’s shoe drink celebration mean?

Started by flyingfish, January 13, 2022, 11:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyingfish

FrequencyCPT

It is a reference to the "shoey" which is a car racing tradition where the winner would drink some champagne out of his shoe after the race. 

It is also one of Daniel Ricciardo's traditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYWr291kqwI

NJFulham

Quote from: FrequencyCPT on January 13, 2022, 12:05:39 PM
It is a reference to the "shoey" which is a car racing tradition where the winner would drink some champagne out of his shoe after the race. 

It is also one of Daniel Ricciardo's traditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYWr291kqwI
Clint Dempsey did it a bunch too if I remember correctly.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Lighthouse

My understanding is its a throwback to when many people were addicted to odour eaters. The anti smell pad that people used to put in their shoes and boots. It was once a common sight to see people in the street take a shoe off, add some alcohol and mix it with the odour eaters and drink the solution down. This gave them a temporary high and was deemed to be dangerous only if taken in high enough doses.

The richer you were the better the beverage you could mix with the odour eaters and the great high you got. I believe the whole thing was frowned upon and although not illegal is considered a rich mans high. Hope  this helps. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Ara's bacon crisps

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 13, 2022, 01:17:56 PM
My understanding is its a throwback to when many people were addicted to odour eaters. The anti smell pad that people used to put in their shoes and boots. It was once a common sight to see people in the street take a shoe off, add some alcohol and mix it with the odour eaters and drink the solution down. This gave them a temporary high and was deemed to be dangerous only if taken in high enough doses.

The richer you were the better the beverage you could mix with the odour eaters and the great high you got. I believe the whole thing was frowned upon and although not illegal is considered a rich mans high. Hope  this helps.
Well it's obvious when you put it like this (are you sure you haven't been at the odour eaters yourself? 🤣)

RaySmith

Maybe it's a tribute to those boots, which he's presumably paid to wear.

Or just mimicking having a good drink to celebrate, which he'll likely do, in moderation, of course!

Steeeeeeeeeed

It seemed quite an OTT celebration for the first goal in a game, something you might save for the 7th or something like a definite winner near the end... Not being a grump, but just felt a bit odd to me when j saw the highlights.

Still, fair play definitely looked like the team were all enjoying themselves

Jurassic Parker

Unless he gets asked in an interview, we'll never know.

We may as well take bets and wait to see if we ever find out.

I'm going to go with there being shoey's done a New Years party with friends or family but Wilson couldn't do them because the players weren't allowed to drink more than two drinks and he had had these, and he told everyone there that he would do one when he scores next.

As good as any other guess

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 13, 2022, 01:17:56 PM

😅

TC's Sporran

i thought it was quite a soulless thing to do. heel have to kick that into touch and step it up for the next goal.

blingo

You've really put your foot in it there Lighthouse hahaha

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fulham Tup North

Quote from: TC's Sporran on January 13, 2022, 10:39:29 PM
i thought it was quite a soulless thing to do. heel have to kick that into touch and step it up for the next goal.
Nice one Centurion 👍 😉
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

FFC In Oz

Quote from: FrequencyCPT on January 13, 2022, 12:05:39 PM

Close.

It's prevalent in Australian drinking culture at house parties and that's why Daniel Ricciardo put it on the map when he decided to use it as a celebration.

Logicalman

Part of the "Boot it out" campaign perhaps?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

LittleErn

Maybe it was intended to say "Fill your boots!". And they did.

SG

Couldn't do it in my day - it would take too long to take the boot off and then to lace it back up again!

TC's Sporran

Quote from: Logicalman on January 14, 2022, 01:14:30 PM

Part of the "Boot it out" campaign perhaps?

yeah i suppose you have to keep instep with whats going on....