Quote from: FFC1987 on January 09, 2022, 12:45:14 PM
Quote from: blingo on January 09, 2022, 12:44:27 PM
So many experts with so little knowledge lol lol lol

Here comes the wisdom.......

Not from me Mr 87, I'm still trying to work out how I passed my 11 +

:005:

filham

Quote from: e4b on January 08, 2022, 06:41:20 PM
Well said Twig. Plan B seems to be a none footballing commentators  rhetoric. Most good managers have faith in their plan A 
But surely after only 3 goals in six games some adjustment is needed, maybe better use of impact subs after 60 minutes, ask wingbacks to overlap more often, only one defensive midfielder, two outright strikers up top for last 30 minutes etc. ? ?
Let us see something different , we just are not putting defenses under enough pressure.

FFC In Oz

Quote from: filham on January 09, 2022, 01:10:12 PM
Well said Twig. Plan B seems to be a none footballing commentators  rhetoric. Most good managers have faith in their plan A 
But surely after only 3 goals in six games some adjustment is needed, maybe better use of impact subs after 60 minutes, ask wingbacks to overlap more often, only one defensive midfielder, two outright strikers up top for last 30 minutes etc. ? ?
Let us see something different , we just are not putting defenses under enough pressure.

Correct.

We don't have to reinvent the wheel and play a whole new shape.

Minor tweaks like you said.  Having the wingers switch sides every so often to change things up.  That sort of thing.

Twig

Quote from: FFC In Oz on January 09, 2022, 02:54:02 PM
Quote from: filham on January 09, 2022, 01:10:12 PM

Correct.

We don't have to reinvent the wheel and play a whole new shape.

Minor tweaks like you said.  Having the wingers switch sides every so often to change things up.  That sort of thing.

If that's what you mean by a Plan B then fine. A modest little tweak like asking our wide players to sometimes switch sides might help occasionally. I just didn't imagine that's what was meant when people ask for a different plan.

toshes mate

Back in the 1980s US statisticians looked at basketball and detected patterns in player scoring rates which could only be explained as resembling sets of coin tosses i.e. entirely random sequences.   A player with a career scoring mean of 60-40% would still produce coin toss patterns of success (50-50) or failure during game sequences.  Players were as likely to score five times in a row and they were to miss five in a row regardless of form.  That is why player of the month or manager of the month awards are the kiss of death ...

Kuper & Szymanski  analysed the England football team's record over 400 games played since 1980 and declared the pattern resembled a coin toss sequence.   In other words randomness is present in almost all sporting data at the player and team level.   

We use computers to analyse data but we haven't found a way of ensuring computers can do random.  Experts think what we have and use to artificially duplicate randomness should be good enough, because otherwise our modelling systems would be far too high risk for predictions other than those of the type used by insurance companies (wide safety margins). 

Whether or not artificial randomness is good enough to serve our purposes remains an unanswered question.   

TC's Sporran

im sure i read that marco silvas first half season in charge in english football, his team showed terrible away form, not winning once and only managing 2 or 3 draws.

well thats changed hasn't it?