If we do nothing this transfer window

Started by Riversider, January 14, 2022, 10:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: Jeroen on January 14, 2022, 12:22:15 PM
Quote from: Fulham 442 on January 14, 2022, 12:12:53 PM
Quote from: Craven Mad on January 14, 2022, 10:28:31 AM
I'm hoping we do something.

I think we're good enough to get promoted (although, you can't ignore that teams around us are strengthening with good acquisitions), but doing nothing now leaves us with a heap to do in the summer. We need to strengthen certain areas, we have contracts expiring (especially in defence) and there's deadwood to clear out.

If we do nothing now, I'd be worried about our ability to challenge next year.
My thoughts too, although I would go further and say if we do nothing now I would worry about our ability to stay up.  Look at how many games we lost to start with before we brought Andersen in...We need a CB to replace Ream, neither Hector nor Mawson are up to the job and Kongolo is permanently injured...

True, but what I can remember is that we had a very short turn around time (due to covid) between our playoff final and the league starting - Hopefully this season promotion can be clinched a couple of weeks in advance of the season so more time to prepare
Ream, Tosin, Kongolo, Mawson, Hector, five above average central defenders who cost us a few million. Surely a couple have to leave before we can consider signing another.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: Fulham 442 on January 14, 2022, 12:46:59 PM
Quote from: Mr K.Dilkington on January 14, 2022, 12:32:14 PM
If we do nothing it won't be a shock nor a surprise.
Our squad is an amazing one at championship level imo
Yes Championship level but not Premier League level, and the gulf seems to widen every season.
True! But we haven't been promoted yet and will cross that transfer bridge when we get to it in the summer,potentially.
The premier league and championship might as well be in two different sports considering the chasm in terms of what it takes to be successful in either respectively lol.
I have no great hopes for next season is my greater,more broader point😁
Foolish ham

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Riversider on January 14, 2022, 10:10:41 AM
Will it be enough to get us promoted  ?
If not, how many would you like to see come in, and in what positions?
The vibe seems to indicate that not much if anything will be done.

Most goals scored in the division. Lowest goals conceded in the division. Seems like a recipe for promotion if you are able to keep the squad you have.

That being said, you should always be looking for the opportunity to improve the squad. Even if it were only the 3rd GK or backup winger where you can do it.

Caedal

A left back and another option out wide would be two areas I'd be looking at. If Wilson or Kebano go down we're pretty light in GOOD options.

Of course if Mitro gets injured we're in big trouble

The Rational Fan

If we can get to 60 points before the window closes, then automatic promotion should be easily obtainable.

As for what we should spend any available FFP money, if we write Kongolo, Knockaert, and Onamah value down to nothing (as we should) we would break FFP, so I would prefer Tony Khan to spend any FFP money on writing players with injuries down to the lowest valuation allowed. I want us to go into the premier league without any players overvalued on the accounts.

FFC1987

Should be fine. I still worry for us if we go up with this squad though. Making some prude investments now then more in the summer seems to be a working strategy for teams going up and staying up.

Motspur Park

For all the talk that this player or that player is not good enough, we have conceded the fewest goals along with West Brom. We have also scored the most. There are few players that are available now who will be what we are looking for in the premier league and this is the panic window. I would be happy to ship a few of the fringe players out and get ready for the summer.

Whitestone

I understand the view that the squad is more than good enough for this season. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the current squad, if promoted, would finish in the bottom three next season. Without the likes of Areola and Andersen it is significantly weaker than last season's relegated team. On the basis that we are more likely than not to be promoted we should  be planning for next season now, so it makes sense to bring in one or two players this month, rather than the usual mass recruitment that will undoubtedly follow in the summer. Easier said than done, I know.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Whitestone on January 15, 2022, 08:15:42 AM
I understand the view that the squad is more than good enough for this season. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the current squad, if promoted, would finish in the bottom three next season. Without the likes of Areola and Andersen it is significantly weaker than last season's relegated team. On the basis that we are more likely than not to be promoted we should  be planning for next season now, so it makes sense to bring in one or two players this month, rather than the usual mass recruitment that will undoubtedly follow in the summer. Easier said than done, I know.
Exactly this.

HV71

Agree +1

Mr K.Dilkington

A good point tbf...depends on club ambitions really...
Foolish ham

Motspur Park

Who, of premiership quality, is going to leave their club now? It is not as if it is a forgone conclusion that we will go up. So, any player with the belief they are premier league quality will either go to an established team not likely to get relegated or wait until the summer to join a club.

blingo

Quote from: Motspur Park on January 15, 2022, 10:12:05 AM
Who, of premiership quality, is going to leave their club now? It is not as if it is a forgone conclusion that we will go up. So, any player with the belief they are premier league quality will either go to an established team not likely to get relegated or wait until the summer to join a club.

Money and promises talk loads Mr M.

Motspur Park

Quote from: blingo on January 15, 2022, 10:15:27 AM

Money and promises talk loads Mr M.

If we are looking to spend or pay big, we still need to ship out players in order not to fall foul of ffp.

toshes mate

If there is nothing in the windows worth asking about then we do nothing.  Our purchasing history with a certain son of a billionaire is something of an enigma in almost every aspect but perhaps things have changed with Mr Silva's appointment.   

FFC1987

I never really understand this argument. Premier league squads have in excess of 25 players in a squad, many or most of whom, are EPL quality. Some of these guys will want game time and showcasing in fast, fluid and successful Fulham side finding 7 nil wins away from home.....who wouldn't want to showcase themselves for a short period for our side? Even if we don't retain them after say a loan, they would still be boosting their own CV with a promotion achievement.

Feel like its a defeatist attitude. And that's coming from me!

ALG01

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 15, 2022, 10:23:38 AM

I never really understand this argument. Premier league squads have in excess of 25 players in a squad, many or most of whom, are EPL quality. Some of these guys will want game time and showcasing in fast, fluid and successful Fulham side finding 7 nil wins away from home.....who wouldn't want to showcase themselves for a short period for our side? Even if we don't retain them after say a loan, they would still be boosting their own CV with a promotion achievement.

Feel like its a defeatist attitude. And that's coming from me!

There are lots of reasons players may want to move from a higher league club to one in a lower division especially if they think they can get more regular first team football OR jkust want to be a bigger fish in the prverbial smaller pool. I also think that it is not just looking up to the Prem that is required. Looking down at lower leagues is a good idea and in the days especially of Keggan we picked up many ghems from lower leagues.

I hope we do get somebody, I think we need a physical midfielder and if avaialble a better forward to support mitro. However if we do go up I do think we need major sugery if we want to survive properly. but next season players may well not be the ones we need to complete this season.

S.F.Sorrow

We should be ok. Ideally I would like us to strengthen at LB and LCB but it's probably wiser to wait until the summer window when we know what division we're in next season.