watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anyone concern with our defence

Started by Rodshig, January 19, 2022, 04:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodshig

We have been scoring freely lately but anyone feels we are still too fragile at the back?

Reinforcement needed in defence?

BarryP

Silva gets a lot of players forward into the attack playing to score more than the opponent and Fulham are still tied for second for fewest goals conceded. For this season I'm comfortable with the current defense.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

FFC In Oz

I think our defence is good enough for this level, especially considering that we've found our scoring boots again.

Will need reinforcements if we go up, however.

Caedal

The goals we've conceded in the last 2 games have been unbelievable strikes. Our main issue defensively we have is lack of pace. We are vulnerable to the counter as Tosin, Ream and Reed are all very slow. Whoever we bring in to replace Ream at CB next season needs to be quicker.

Cookie6262

Tosin very slow is a bit harsh his pace is average though I agree with your point that we do need some pace at the back if we go up. Ream has been very good this year but given his age he is likely to be replaced if we go up and a defender with pace is a must. I always remember being surprised when reading that Aaron Hughes was the fastest player in the squad over 25 metres but you do need some pace in central defence.

S.F.Sorrow

Yes, we definitely need at least two CBs, a LB and a backup RB if we're promoted. I don't regard Mawson and Kongolo as realistic options anymore (even though I personally think Mawson is our best CB when match fit).

Our current CBs are too slow, especially Ream. This makes us extremely vulnerably to counter attacks. We also make too many critical mistakes against high pressing sides because we're too slow on the ball when trying to play our way out of danger. Ream and Seri are the main culprits here (and look what happened when we lost Seri to AFCON...).

Setting up with a high pressure against us will always be risky of course but apart from the odd fluke result it's probably the best chance to beat us at the moment. The main reason we get away with having such a soft defence is that we dominate games and outscore the opponent even if they get 2 or 3 goals. It's starting to feel a bit like Joka's promotion season: We look amazing going forward but very fragile at the back.

On our current form we're heading for promotion no matter what our defence looks like but unless we get some serious upgrades before next season we're going straight back down again.

blingo

Two CB's and one or two cm if Fabio goes. Our front line can cope.

Sgt Fulham

It's a worry, but surely the opposition can't keep scoring every proper chance or shot they have. Very vulnerable to the counter, and I think that is something Stoke do well. Would take any win and a draw wouldn't be the end of the world to be honest.

bill taylors apprentice

I don't agree we look fragile at the back, not at this level anyway.
In the PL we will need better but while our style looks languid at the back on the ball its generally effective and when defending we are now getting bodies in the way we never used to do.
Having said that, recent goals against have highlighted the need for pace and the importance to block or foul when needed.

Deeping_white

We've conceded 4 goals in the last 2 games from an xG of about 1.2 which shows you that none of the goals were really bad defending, they were just low likelihood chances that went in. The BC goals were avoidable with tactical fouls but both of the Birmingham goals were screamers, coming at a time in the game where we slipped back into second gear because we were 4 goals up and saving our legs. I don't think either happens if the game is closer, like we saw in the first half last night where they didn't even have a sniff until the goal in added time.

Tabby

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 19, 2022, 08:37:35 AM
We've conceded 4 goals in the last 2 games from an xG of about 1.2 which shows you that none of the goals were really bad defending, they were just low likelihood chances that went in. The BC goals were avoidable with tactical fouls but both of the Birmingham goals were screamers, coming at a time in the game where we slipped back into second gear because we were 4 goals up and saving our legs. I don't think either happens if the game is closer, like we saw in the first half last night where they didn't even have a sniff until the goal in added time.

It can be poor defending even if the chances were low percentage. Ream getting turned by Semenyo was concerning, nobody closing down Hogan was concerning, nobody tracking Sunjic as he moved inside was concerning.

The most concerning thing this game though was the amount of bad passes in our own third, Birmingham were gifted the ball several times. Don't want that creeping back into the team.

But I am not unduly worried, been a busy schedule so some sloppiness is to be expected.

Riversider

For a professional football player the inability of Robinson to make a simple short pass is shocking,
The amount of times he gives away possession is incredible,
Whatever happens from here on in, we need an upgrade at left back.

FFCBadger

Not really no, I think they've been doing well so far but we will need Ream upgraded for next season.

Our issue last night was with midfielders:
- TC ducked rather than blocked the shot and it flew in
- BDR got sucked into the action and should have left Ream and Tosin to deal with the ball carrier

We've already got a 47+ goal difference so in anticipation of promotion I'd like to see silly mistakes like this cut out

We Are Premier League

Not overly concerned; a CB, CM and Areola* is all we need to sort it out quickly next year. In a much better place now (with Tosin, Tete and Robinson) than we were two years ago.

*Feel really bad for potentially dropping Rodak AGAIN but Areola is just a different class.

toshes mate

I find it extraordinary when people focus on the goals against column when a team is scoring three times as many at the other end.  And, as in the Jokanovic era in particular, the goals are being spread around the whole team.  For sure our game could be tightened up but the price you pay for that may mean much closer games, many of which will involve dropped points.  We have seen a little of what that brings with it this season already.   Last night there seemed to be a few seemingly minor but important tactical changes that opened up the opponents mainly driven by intelligent movement.  Of course if possession is lost at such times then we may be more vulnerable than we would like.   However, the players do appear to be really enjoying their football this season which is a welcome change to some of the dross seen during the last two seasons.   

Thus far Marco Silva, his coaching team and the players have put a smile on my face and I am enjoying what I have seen.  I sincerely hope that it carries on in the same vein throughout the next twenty games.     

filham

Not in the least worried about conceding a few goals, Silva can solve that problem. The goals were conceded by quick counter attacks with our d
The really worrying problem was the lack of goals over those six games wihout a win and that has been solved in a perfect manner.

Whitestone

I've been concerned about our defence for several years, since the days of Hangeland and Hughes. Last seasons signings made a difference but relegation and the subsequent loss of Areola and Andersen have left us seriously short in the event of a further promotion. That said we are certainly in a better position than in the Parker promotion year with Tete and Tosin in particular.
This season the cracks have been papered over by our free flowing attack. I accept that we will concede ground with our style of play and for that reason I'm not surprised that we leak goals that other teams probably wouldn't. That's a small price to pay for the entertainment being dished up in the Championship. In an ideal world we should be planning for Premier League football with a couple of signings this month. It's not the end of the world if that didn't happen but it would be a massive help when it comes to survival, assuming promotion.

wback

Seems like we're only leaving one back at corners, which may be a little too vulnerable, but on the other hand for every goal folks score against us on the breakaway from a corner, we seem to score 1.5 corners.

I'd say we might want to have a quicker player hanging back a little (perhaps someone who doesn't make too much impact from corners, such as Tete or Fab), just to have another cleanup/slow down the attack player alongside Robinson.

But yes - all 5 of the goals we've conceded recently (including Sheff Utd) have been *very* accurate shots. Six inches further inside the post and Rodak saves them (and it's not like he's getting peppered the rest of the time).

Deeping_white

Quote from: Whitestone on January 19, 2022, 10:50:47 AM
I've been concerned about our defence for several years, since the days of Hangeland and Hughes. Last seasons signings made a difference but relegation and the subsequent loss of Areola and Andersen have left us seriously short in the event of a further promotion. That said we are certainly in a better position than in the Parker promotion year with Tete and Tosin in particular.
This season the cracks have been papered over by our free flowing attack. I accept that we will concede ground with our style of play and for that reason I'm not surprised that we leak goals that other teams probably wouldn't. That's a small price to pay for the entertainment being dished up in the Championship. In an ideal world we should be planning for Premier League football with a couple of signings this month. It's not the end of the world if that didn't happen but it would be a massive help when it comes to survival, assuming promotion.

Bearing in mind our expansive style of play, it's worth noting we have the joint second best defence in the league, and before the last two games it was the best.

Rupert

MacDonald's team was set up to score goals, and his philosophy was that so long as we scored four, it did not matter if we conceded two. Funnily enough, we won quite a few by 4-2 back then, if memory serves.

We have, and will continue to, fall flat from time to time, but we should do well most of the time, at least at this level. As others have pointed out, we will need serious reinforcements, or a change in style, should we win promotion.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.