watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

a more complete player

Started by colinwhite, January 19, 2022, 10:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

What can you say about Mitrovic? He's always been a goalscorer we all knew that. He now looks fitter ,sharper and faster than I can remember . His work rate last night was superb ,and his contribution to our goal tally underrated. He may not have scored ,despite our six goals, but Birminghams attempts to man- mark him meant he dragged their best defender out wide ,leaving huge spaces for other players to ghost into the box.
Marco Silva clearly contributed to this plan  and the big mans attitude was first rate . He was happy to link up ,pull their defense out of position and play the ball to runners moving into space. Under parkers more static system Mitro tended  to occupy the central space ,effectively blocking the space for runners Like Carvalho ,Keban and Wilson to run into  as our attacking players  did for our goals last night.
Silvas attacking nouse is clearly on a different level to Parkers ,and the Portuguese man- management of Mitro  is nothing short of superb. The big serb has taken his game to another level and lets hope we can keep him for another run in the premiership. Give him a pay rise . He deserves it !!

bobby01

Quote from: colinwhite on January 19, 2022, 10:31:10 AM
What can you say about Mitrovic? He's always been a goalscorer we all knew that. He now looks fitter ,sharper and faster than I can remember . His work rate last night was superb ,and his contribution to our goal tally underrated. He may not have scored ,despite our six goals, but Birminghams attempts to man- mark him meant he dragged their best defender out wide ,leaving huge spaces for other players to ghost into the box.
Marco Silva clearly contributed to this plan  and the big mans attitude was first rate . He was happy to link up ,pull their defense out of position and play the ball to runners moving into space. Under parkers more static system Mitro tended  to occupy the central space ,effectively blocking the space for runners Like Carvalho ,Keban and Wilson to run into  as our attacking players  did for our goals last night.
Silvas attacking nouse is clearly on a different level to Parkers ,and the Portuguese man- management of Mitro  is nothing short of superb. The big serb has taken his game to another level and lets hope we can keep him for another run in the premiership. Give him a pay rise . He deserves it !!

A big :plus one:
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

mkdom

its a shame that he will be off to Juventus in the Summer

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: mkdom on January 19, 2022, 10:57:29 AM
its a shame that he will be off to Juventus in the Summer
Lol they'll hate him there...
Foolish ham

FFC In Oz

Is he the guy that Cavaleiro was starting over last season?

St Eve

Quote from: FFC In Oz on January 19, 2022, 11:02:16 AM
yes that was a brilliant tactical move to confuse the enemy

ChesterTheTabby

Mitro is a complete player now, without a doubt, and we play to his strengths. His header to Onomah at the end to drive the play forward from the touchline was a pure illustration of how much he does quietly and professionally.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

H4usuallysitting

Bill2

I have been saying that he is fitter than ever for some time now and that shows when he is still running around past the 80 minute mark, 2 seasons ago he would have been done for by then. But what really pleases me is the way he is holding the ball and bringing other players into the game with some lovely control and lay offs. Don't know what the coaches are doing but it is working and paying off brilliantly.

WOTM

Quote from: Bill2 on January 19, 2022, 04:47:39 PM
I have been saying that he is fitter than ever for some time now and that shows when he is still running around past the 80 minute mark, 2 seasons ago he would have been done for by then. But what really pleases me is the way he is holding the ball and bringing other players into the game with some lovely control and lay offs. Don't know what the coaches are doing but it is working and paying off brilliantly.

I know! He's turned into a playmaker!  :wow:

Mr K.Dilkington

He's a god among mere mortals at championship level...a true mythic monster one might say
Foolish ham

Plodder

He has had a stellar season to date and he can do no more than bang in goals against the teams he has faced. He has lost weight, is more mobile and and has improved his link up play.  I am more cautious about his prospects in the Premier League (if we are promoted) than others are. The quality of defending is much, much higher, and he will not be able to bully top flight defenders in the same way. The way the game is played in the top flight, pace is the single most important attribute, but that is not his strength. Not only has Mitrovic struggled in the top division in the past, but as Toney's experience this season has shown, a player who has looked unstoppable in the Championship can easily look less than ordinary in the Premier League.

I think that next season, if promoted, and given the spectacular success of this season so far,  we ought to try to play to Mitrovic's strengths and see what happens, but I am not convinced those strengths are well suited to modern Premier League football.

colinwhite

Quote from: Plodder on January 19, 2022, 08:53:29 PM
He has had a stellar season to date and he can do no more than bang in goals against the teams he has faced. He has lost weight, is more mobile and and has improved his link up play.  I am more cautious about his prospects in the Premier League (if we are promoted) than others are. The quality of defending is much, much higher, and he will not be able to bully top flight defenders in the same way. The way the game is played in the top flight, pace is the single most important attribute, but that is not his strength. Not only has Mitrovic struggled in the top division in the past, but as Toney's experience this season has shown, a player who has looked unstoppable in the Championship can easily look less than ordinary in the Premier League.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I would add that I think that Mitro would be a big hit in the Pl in  a top side who dominate the ball ,and bang in the goals for a City etc. The difference in class is huge between championship and PL ,but Mitro game isn't suited to a side defending most games and scrapping on the counter ,before teams are defensively organised. So there is double question mark for me.I don't doubt so much his ability as such ,but more his suitability for a team struggling in the PL . IF we are open and attack in numbers he will score goals .If we keep it tight and sit low he may struggle.

I think that next season, if promoted, and given the spectacular success of this season so far,  we ought to try to play to Mitrovic's strengths and see what happens, but I am not convinced those strengths are well suited to modern Premier League football.

bencher

It is natural to judge a striker by his goals output, but in terms of whether he can convert his current success to the PL, if he can continue to act as the fulcrum of the attack, holding the ball up, bringing other players into play, assists etc, he can be a success in the PL. I am sure he would get goals too, but the most impressive part is he is central to the whole team scoring a lot of goals.

TC's Sporran

his willingness to drop back, get the ball and play some superb passes is light years from the disinterested lump in the prem last season.
like most i cant believe we scored 6 and he wasnt on the scoresheet

Mr K.Dilkington

Quote from: FFC In Oz on January 19, 2022, 11:02:16 AM
That was insane lol...even at the time.
Foolish ham

perry geyton

He's playing brilliant scores loads and contributing to say fantastic build up play but my concerns are that he's just not quick enough for the premier league,
I hope he proves me wrong, yeah he's always good with his head but it's his feet that worry me