watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Academy value

Started by StuinSalop, January 22, 2022, 09:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuinSalop

It now looks like we will lose Fab so I wanted to take a look at the pros of having our academy and discuss this from a slightly different angle.

Clearly we have not often got the full value from players leaving who have run down contracts and this is a huge frustration, but if you take Elliott as one of these, we took him from QPR and the £5M that we will probably end up with is way below his value but not insignificant.  Another player we got little if nothing for was Dembele, but we got over one season and many goals from him and again we took him from PSG.

The 2 players we got very good money for were Roberts, £12M and Sess, £25M plus Onomah. 

Now we have Carvalho and we should get more for him than Elliott even if he runs his contract down, we will however have also had over a season of him on the pitch where his contribution will have hopefully delivered Premier football again and that is worth £270M.   

So whilst there can be no doubt this process needs to be significantly improved and there is no doubt Fulham have been ripped off by the likes of Liverpool and Celtic, we have benefitted significantly from our academy.  There are many other player of course who have emerged and played first team football, all of whom have made a contribution.

Tabby

Even if the academy was a money sink, our limiting factor is FFP, not available funds and the academy is exempt. This is something that comes up when people want us to get rid of the academy whenever a young player goes, which simply doesn't make any sense for us unless you want to protect  051 money.

So it is basically just a side thing where players coming up and being played or sold is just pure bonus.

StuinSalop

Quote from: Tabby on January 22, 2022, 10:03:16 AM
Even if the academy was a money sink, our limiting factor is FFP, not available funds and the academy is exempt. This is something that comes up when people want us to get rid of the academy whenever a young player goes, which simply doesn't make any sense for us unless you want to protect  051 money.

So it is basically just a side thing where players coming up and being played or sold is just pure bonus.

Great point, had not thought about FFP.  This would make the significant money from selling the above plus FFP free players a reason to have the academy on its own.  I assume all the staff costs associated with the academy also FFP exempt.

colinwhite

good post.  Its never easy for young players to take the step up to senior level ,unless like Fabio they are exceptional and produce the goods straight away when given the chance. Other wise they are talented young players ,but unproven and with big question mark over how far they can take their skillset and above all ,at which level they will be able to show it. It then comes down to subjective judgement of the people running our academy ,and they are some of the best in the business, as to wether or not this or that player should be given a senior contract and at which point in their development. Contracting players earlier is restricted by rules .

Jamie88

We also would likely not have been able to get Wilson if it weren't for the Elliott transfer.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: StuinSalop on January 22, 2022, 11:23:44 AM
Quote from: Tabby on January 22, 2022, 10:03:16 AM

Great point, had not thought about FFP.  This would make the significant money from selling the above plus FFP free players a reason to have the academy on its own.  I assume all the staff costs associated with the academy also FFP exempt.

There are accusations are that the FFP deductions exceed the actual cost of the academy, and my guess is those accusations are true. The staff costs are split between the main team and the academy, with the academy cost FFP exempt. I suspect academy coaches help the main team frequently.

I wonder if an "Academy Coach" was asked to analyze "Blackpool's first XI last few games" to provide a report to Marco Silva, would he inform the accountant that his wages shouldn't be FFP exempt. I doubt it. Closing the academy will only make Tony Khan richer and Fulham poorer, which Tony Khan doesn't seem to desire and as a fan, I definately don't want to see.