watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - some British sporting success at last in 2022, well done David Ryding

Started by copthornemike, January 24, 2022, 10:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copthornemike

Don't normally watch Ski Sunday on the BBC - not my kind of thing for many reasons.
But  I just watched last Sunday's edition in the BBC iPlayer and it was excellent.
First was surprised to hear about a British sporting success. David Ryding, aged 35 and who initially learnt to ski on a plastic ski slope in Lancashire, and last weekend became the first British skiier to win a a World Cup race for alpine skiing.
That was worth watching the programme in itself but have to say the rest of the programme was excellent. 
Photography outstanding in terms of action shots and panoramic scenery (just required David Attenborough to make a guest appearence). Quality of the action shots and content, even stuff about protection for head injuries outstanding.
Give it a watch - I guarantee you won't be disappointed whether or not you are into snow sports.   

Holders

I was going to post this.

It was magnificent in so many ways: the first UK 1st place podium finish in the WM - EVER, his age (35), that it was at Kitzbuhel the blue riband event of alpine skiing and the fact that he learned on plastic! Those who've tried that will appreciate what the difference is.

For me, this equates with Emma Raducanu's win at tennis.

Well done Dave.

The drone footage of the downhill was new to me and gave a real perspective of the speed.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Twig

I really enjoy winter sports but this took my enjoyment to a new level. Brilliant performance from a really decent and grounded individual.

cmg

Franz Klammer "falling as much as skiing" down the Patscherkofel to win the 1976 Olympic downhill is, for me, one of the greatest sporting moments.

Holders

Quote from: cmg on January 25, 2022, 03:14:43 PM

Franz Klammer "falling as much as skiing" down the Patscherkofel to win the 1976 Olympic downhill is, for me, one of the greatest sporting moments.

Spot on. Style went out of the window, he was all over the place but he did it. And then he won the Hahnenkamm a couple of weeks later, I believe. I regard him as the greatest skier of my lifetime. 

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Holders on January 26, 2022, 10:38:10 AM

Spot on. Style went out of the window, he was all over the place but he did it. And then he won the Hahnenkamm a couple of weeks later, I believe. I regard him as the greatest skier of my lifetime. 
Ah, the Hahnenkamm - I love that run but whereas Klammer did it in a couple of minutes I have never done it in less than 20  092.gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Holders

Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 26, 2022, 11:55:16 AM
Quote from: Holders on January 26, 2022, 10:38:10 AM

Ah, the Hahnenkamm - I love that run but whereas Klammer did it in a couple of minutes I have never done it in less than 20  092.gif

Ah, but the reason for that is they send the likes of you and me the long way! The final turn into the traverse still feels the same as it looks though.