watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Derby County

Started by Peabody, January 26, 2022, 08:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I remember when Accrington Stanley went out of business mid season in 1960. Some very sad photographs of the Peel Park main stand. One of the first clubs to reform and battle its was back in the Football League by way of the football pyramid. One of the first results of other clubs I always look out for.   

FFCFOREVER

Personally I think it's just desserts with what is happening to them at the moment. I was not there on that day but my dad and grandad were and I have seen it on TV and it sounds exactly how Riversider has put it (horrendous). You reap what you sow in life and this has come back around to bite em on the arse big time. Would love to see them languush in league 2 for a few years.

SuffolkWhite

I don't want to see any club disappear (even Derby) but as I was at that infamous game in the 80's I hope they go down to the none leagues and are forced to start again. At the end of the day they have broken rules!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

MartyFFC

I can remember Middlesbrough being deducted points in 1997 that relegated them, for not fulfilling one of their fixtures owing to more than half the squad being unavailable. The most vociferous complainant and supporter of the points deduction, was, Derby County. Given the Boro chairman is the same as was back then, the legal action they're now pursuing against Derby along with Wycombe does seem like what goes around, comes around.

cookieg

Karma is a bitch. Take us for instance nearly out of business, merging with qpr but now we have a super rich owner. Derby on the other hand are getting long overdue payback.

Gezza

I am not a great fan of Wayne Rooney but he has earned my respect in the way he has continued to battle against the odds and got the best out of a depleted side.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Riversider on January 26, 2022, 02:10:36 PM
Quote from: f321ffc on January 26, 2022, 10:40:05 AM
Wonder what Robert Wilson's view of this is, I don't want them to go out of business but I will never forgive or forget them for that day.
Absolutely, penned by somebody that was actually there, like myself,  if you weren't there that day it's virtually impossible for you to comment,  a truly horrendous day that at times felt like you were fighting for your life,
**** Derby County and **** their supporters,
I hope their club survives but I hate to see Fulham supporters feeling sorry for them and showing pity, they are not entitled to that from us.

I go along with what you say for exactly the same reasons as i was there also, so i share your concerns, as you had to be there to know and suffer how shocking it actually was.
Therefore i am fresh out of mercy for Derby County, but despite that i would not want to see any English club go out of business.
A spell in the lower leagues with sanctions would suffice.
As is said if you stand by the banks of the river long enough, you will watch the bodies of your enemies float by. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RoyTund

Quote from: Ruislip Ray on January 26, 2022, 02:49:51 PM
Well said Riversider, totally agree 100%.

You only have to find the video of that day on you tube and the many recent comments from Derby fans celebrating those actions.

rebel

Well it goes on, 21 points deducted in stages, first 12, then 9, now this. They would be contenders for the play offs.

toshes mate

Had the Football League had the guts to apply its own regulations and restrictions relating to both crowd and player safety then the match should either have been abandoned or halted at the first encroachment onto the playing surface.  But was there another agenda at work to finish all games at a similar time on that day?   Yes, the Derby supporters were out of order and Fulham were the victims of that in ways that have nothing to do with encroachment but everything to do with level playing fields in all sports. 

As far as karma goes we have a whole lot more money being thrown around doing no good and we now appear to have growing problems with supporter behaviour again.   Isn't it all about having football authorities that are fit for purpose and not corrupt, dishonest corporate monstrosities who are also guilty of lining their own pockets with gold with a bias towards their own flavours of the moment?  Derby are very much in the same boat as all other clubs outside the 'chosen ones'.   

St. Andrews White

I don't envy Derby fans, wondering whether their club will even survive once all this is done, because of terrible decisions by their owners.

Boro and Wycombe are behaving poorly, the EFL aren't being honest from what I can see and the ones being punished are the fans. I think other clubs are planning ways to express their support, and I think we should too

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: St. Andrews White on January 28, 2022, 02:00:20 PM
I don't envy Derby fans, wondering whether their club will even survive once all this is done, because of terrible decisions by their owners.

Boro and Wycombe are behaving poorly, the EFL aren't being honest from what I can see and the ones being punished are the fans. I think other clubs are planning ways to express their support, and I think we should too

You are right the fans do suffer when their club is punished with a points deduction but that's looking at the issue from a very narrow focus.

The basics are,  despite the owner allegedly pumping millions into the club they failed to reach the promise land and were losing over 1 million £'s a month and couldn't pay their creditors.

Covid didn't help but the problems date back before the pandemic, 12 points deducted for entering administration & 9 for dodgy accounting and the owner are the EFL rules and you can't say the EFL have trown the book at them as there are various regulatory issues still outstanding.

The guilty owner leaves the club on the brink of survival but you think the EFL are being dishonest!
What about the owner, because he apologies to the fans is that's OK?

St. Andrews White

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on January 28, 2022, 03:00:52 PM
Quote from: St. Andrews White on January 28, 2022, 02:00:20 PM

You are right the fans do suffer when their club is punished with a points deduction but that's looking at the issue from a very narrow focus.

The basics are,  despite the owner allegedly pumping millions into the club they failed to reach the promise land and were losing over 1 million £'s a month and couldn't pay their creditors.

Covid didn't help but the problems date back before the pandemic, 12 points deducted for entering administration & 9 for dodgy accounting and the owner are the EFL rules and you can't say the EFL have trown the book at them as there are various regulatory issues still outstanding.

The guilty owner leaves the club on the brink of survival but you think the EFL are being dishonest!
What about the owner, because he apologies to the fans is that's OK?

Of course Mel Morris was dishonest, he cooked the books and bet heavily on getting to the Prem and screwed the club when they failed to do so.

But from all I've heard, the EFL have handled this all very badly. Releasing contradictory statements, making up deadlines and then ignoring them, and failing to help remove the barriers to a prospective party from purchasing the club (mostly the legal claims I mentioned, and Mel Morris trying to keep hold of the ground). This, along with Bury and others, doesn't put the EFL in a good light at all and isn't exactly a narrow way of looking at it.

The Intertoto might not exist anymore, but that doesn't matter. We'll still win it again.

Burt

I was at the Baseball Ground in '83 and it was a nasty experience. Not only the players, who had to contend with being jostled by the "fans" encroaching on the pitch, but for the supporters too given the violence during and after the match.

I have harboured a grudge against Derby ever since, and a disrespect for the FA for never having the balls to order a replay despite plenty of precedent for other abandoned matches being replayed.

Over the years the grudge has worn off - partly because of the passage of time, partly because I have friends now who follow Derby and I've been able to work it out of my system, and partly because of the situation they currently find themselves in.

Supporters are the ones who suffer when clubs are poorly ran - we know this only too well, in the dark days of Fulham Park Rangers, etc.

I wish them all the best, and also hats off to Wayne Rooney with what he is managing to do on a shoestring, this will be the making of him as a manager.

Mince n Tatties

They are over 60 million in debt according to Sky in the last hour...Never known a Championship  side to be that in debt.

Dodger53

Wonder what Robert Wilson's view of this is, I don't want them to go out of business but I will never forgive or forget them for that day.
Absolutely, penned by somebody that was actually there, like myself,  if you weren't there that day it's virtually impossible for you to comment,  a truly horrendous day that at times felt like you were fighting for your life,
I hope their club survives but I hate to see Fulham supporters feeling sorry for them and showing pity, they are not entitled to that from us.

I have to agree

Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Dodger53 on January 28, 2022, 09:27:16 PM

A friend is writing a book on Reading FC and has been able to contact some of their players from the 80s and 90s, one of whom was Jeff Hopkins who is now living in Australia.
Even though it had nothing to do with Reading, he mentioned the farce at The Baseball Ground and how the Fulham players were being attacked at the final whistle and how he was relieved just to get into the changing rooms.
I watched FFC home and away from the early 70s to the late 90s and that afternoon was one that I will never forget for what went on on the pitch, the terraces and outside the ground. I've been in more scary situations like the big fight after the semi final replay at Maine Road where Birmingham came for us but fortunately some of the Man City Kippax got us out of a pretty dangerous situation, but post match at Derby was one that I was glad to escape unharmed from.
Having Ernie Clay as Chairman probably didn't help our cause with the FA, but if we had signed Andy Thomas after his loan deal expired we would have been promoted before that fateful day.
I have to agree

Woolly Mammoth

There are some things you cannot forgive and for me and many many other Fulham Foot Soldiers that is one of them.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

LC

I started following Fulham in the 90s, I don't know what happened with Derby, from what I'm reading here not good things

RaySmith

Love or hate Derby,  this is a terrible condemnation of the way the game is run in this country, with money being so important, and clubs so reliant on rich, foreign benefactors, especially smaller clubs - and then having to trust these people, who often have little concern for the club and its fans, they just want to  get rich.

We at Fulham have been so lucky with MAF and the Khans.