News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Darren Lewis Has Lost The Plot - Sack Him Now!

Started by White Noise, December 30, 2010, 08:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Why I think Tottenham can - and will - win the league title this year

By Darren Lewis

Published 17:21 29/12/10

I've thought it for few weeks, but now I am going to go on the record.

I think Spurs can win the League.

Laugh all you want and how much (or what) I've been drinking over the holidays but I believe Spurs have as good a chance as anyone in the top four of finishing top by May. And here's why:

It is absolutely true of Harry Redknapp to say that this is not a vintage year. Some people use that to decry the quality of the Premier League but I think it is testament to the fact that many of the teams outside the top four are a lot tougher to beat.

Fort example, until their defeat at the Stadium of Light to Blackpool, Sunderland were unbeaten at home throughout the first half of the season.

Manchester United's dropped points at Birmingham means Alex McLeish's side have still lost only once in front of their own fans for a very long time - 24 matches to be exact. Bolton are another side to have lost only once this at home this season at the time of writing this.

Anyway, I digress. Tottenham have improved while Liverpool have gone backwards, Chelsea have stagnated and Manchester United are not the force they once were.

Manchester City are an interesting one because they are currently going great guns at the top of the Premier League. But they have looked at their most impressive this season against quite bad sides, Wigan, West Ham, Fulham and Aston Villa.

Also, take Carlos Tevez out of that side and who can you rely on to score you the goals needed to win you a title? Balotelli filled his boots against the Villa, but EVERYBODY has been doing that this season.

Indeed, here's a stat for you: four of the last six Premier League hat-tricks have come against Aston Villa.

Edin Dzeko might prove to be an inspired signing for City but that is far from certain. Who is to say that he will settle instantly when he gets to the Premier League?

And even if he does, will he be happy at having to play the odd game in three? Roberto Mancini prefers to deploy a system with one striker in the main. And, despite the talented Balotelli's hat-trick against the Villa, that striker is Tevez.

Mancini went with two up top at home to Everton and lost on December 20. So the City boss will somehow have to keep ANOTHER player happy who wont be playing regularly (although I suspect the £100,000-a-week over five years will somewhat soften the blow).

I'd have been more convinced had City moved for a goalscoring midfielder this January. Yaya Toure has scored three goals and Adam Johnson two, but James Milner, David Silva and Gareth Barry all have just one each.

Look at the teams that have won the League over the past ten years. What have they got in common? Bundles of goals from the centre of the park.

For Chelsea read Lampard. For United, Cristiano Ronaldo or Paul Scholes. For Arsenal, Freddie Ljungberg or Robert Pires. Every team that has won the League has had those goals from midfield.

The team top at Xmas has gone on to win the last eight titles and for me, United would be a shoe-in if they had anyone to help out Rooney and Berbatov from midfield on a regular basis.

Arsenal have a real chance. Six of the last seven times they have been second at Christmas they have won the title, and Nasri has hit eight from midfield already this season. Song has hit four, Fabregas three, Walcott five and Wilshere one.

At Chelsea, meanwhile, Lampard has only just come back from a lengthy injury for Chelsea while Malouda has tailed off as we all know after being prolific at the start of the season.

Which brings us to Spurs. Rafael van der Vaart has hit eight from midfield already this season with Gareth Bale on seven. Aaron Lennon has two, while Luka Modric and Tom Huddlestone both have one.

If Jermain Defoe can repeat - or better his 18 goals from last season and Harry Redknapp can bring in a striker to stick away the stacks of chances created by the Premier League's serial thrillers they I think they have a great chance.

They will rue their draws at home to struggling Everton and Sunderland while, given Birmingham's fine home form you could perhaps forgive Spurs for dropping points there. To lose at fragile West Ham was unforgiveable but Tottenham have since made up for it with some stunning mid-season form.

January will be crucial and the need for chairman Daniel Levy to realise big investment is needed is crucial.

Tottenham need another striker (Adebayor would be ace but I fear City will not sell - or loan - to their deadly rivals, Dzeko or no Dzeko).

They need another defensive midfielder (Parker from West Ham would be great but the Hammers want far too much for a player who is now 30. Lassana Diarra at Real Madrid would be a better bet).

And they need to believe they can do it. Two seasons ago Manchester United beat one team in the top four and still went on to lift the title because they were able to put decisive runs together. Spurs need to show that they can do likewise with an even better record against the top clubs.

They can do it. I think they will.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/darren-lewis/Darren-Lewis-column-Why-I-think-Tottenham-can-and-will-win-the-Premier-League-title-this-year-article659955.html#ixzz19aFVfH7M

Burt

epsomraver

How can they sack him, he is their "token black" because he ain't no good for anything else.

JBH

He is also a total Muppet when he is on Alan Brazil's programme on Talk Shite! mind you being on Talk Sport makes you a Muppet anyway