watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Grealish

Started by terryr, February 05, 2022, 04:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bencher

The obvious solution to this entire thread is, football should abandon the concept of the penalty. Instead, like everywhere else on the pitch, it should be a free-kick, whether direct or indirect.
The penalty has come to totally dominate football, in terms of diving, VAR etc. Obviously many penalties are missed, but there is a huge advantage to the penalty taker, and consequently a huge incentive to win a penalty. Why should minor contact on the corner of the box, with 14 players and 18 yards between the fouled player and the goal lead to an almost certain goal? Why does a backpass lead to a an IFK, but a handball because the arm is supposedly not in a natural position leads to an almost certain goal?

If you were inventing football from scratch, would you find it logical to include this rule?

bobbo

Quote from: TC's Sporran on February 05, 2022, 07:02:46 PM
he sums up all that is wrong with the game for me.
in my eyes the aim for any forward is to score goals. stay on your feet skillfully avoid tackles and score. sadly that mindset is  long gone and not been the case for years.
going out of your way and almost basing your whole game around deceit is just low down almost cowardly and not in the spirit of the game.
but refs buy it, coaches instill it into their players and the fans have all adopted this win at all costs mentality that i hate with a passion. if the fans booed it even of their own players i am sure it would stop.
ive been accused of shouting get up you nancy.

im a sad old dinosoar lol.
I am right with you its so tainted the game now it he's even crossed my mind to stop going , but only crossed my mind .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

WolverineFFC

Quote from: bencher on February 06, 2022, 11:58:18 AM
The obvious solution to this entire thread is, football should abandon the concept of the penalty. Instead, like everywhere else on the pitch, it should be a free-kick, whether direct or indirect.
The penalty has come to totally dominate football, in terms of diving, VAR etc. Obviously many penalties are missed, but there is a huge advantage to the penalty taker, and consequently a huge incentive to win a penalty. Why should minor contact on the corner of the box, with 14 players and 18 yards between the fouled player and the goal lead to an almost certain goal? Why does a backpass lead to a an IFK, but a handball because the arm is supposedly not in a natural position leads to an almost certain goal?

If you were inventing football from scratch, would you find it logical to include this rule?

I agree with you, just don't understand it. The punishment so infrequently fits the crime in PK situations. On the play yesterday, Grealish has way overplayed the ball, but since JB is nearby he makes sure the contact occurs. There was no lost goal scoring opportunity, but somehow Citeh are rewarded with a PK. Just don't see how it benefits the game.

Somerset Fulham

I don't think it was a penalty yesterday, but I also don't think that Grealish dived. A player in the style of the lad is always going to draw fouls if he is allowed to play his natural game and I don't see why this is an issue for so many?

This board really does have a hardon for for the player and it's most odd.

WindyCity

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on February 06, 2022, 01:31:28 PM
I don't think it was a penalty yesterday, but I also don't think that Grealish dived. A player in the style of the lad is always going to draw fouls if he is allowed to play his natural game and I don't see why this is an issue for so many?  This board really does have a hardon for for the player and it's most odd.

Agreed, and I know it's a contrary opinion here.  I think Grealish is a great player.  But guys like him, Neymar, et al, because they are on the ball so much, they are naturally gonna get fouled a lot, likely much more than the average player.  I also think ALL players dive or take a fall on soft contact to draw a foul/penalty.  That's widespread throughout the game.  As far as that play was concerned, I thought it was probably a penalty, though it was not blatant.

filham

Quote from: Sammyffc on February 06, 2022, 04:51:08 AM
Sometimes I feel like people on this board live in an alternate universe.

It was a clear penalty, how on earth are some of you saying it wasn't ? Joe completely takes him out. Let alone the fact Joe knows straight away it's a pen, doesn't even look at the ref and just walks away.

filham

On the tv stream I watched the commentators were expressing doubt about the penalty award.

Luka

?s=21

He is bell end but has his heart in the right place.
The other players didn't even look over.

70sPimlico

Honestly, that's wonderful.

Diving aside, he actually seems a good bloke and he's definitely a great player.

RaySmith

Quote from: Luka on February 06, 2022, 08:41:29 PM
?s=21

He is bell end but has his heart in the right place.
The other players didn't even look over.

0001.jpeg

In an interview I heard, he seemed a decent bloke, not up himself, though his on pitch  antics get up people's noses.

He's a very skillful player, but one of his  skills is 'drawing fouls', terrible  phrase that says a lot about the modern game, but I suppose if he played for your team you wouldn't criticize this.

The pen was debatable - it certainly looked soft, and Grealish seemed to go down way too easily, but not surprised it was given - Jamie in the commentary thought it was a definite pen.

HamsterWheel

Not sure what else Grealish could do but to go over and see the lass - she had posters with Grealish scrawled all over them. No idea why he's getting plaudits for this, was the least he could do. She looked a lovely lass.

Dixie

Quote from: HamsterWheel on February 07, 2022, 09:46:25 AM
Not sure what else Grealish could do but to go over and see the lass - she had posters with Grealish scrawled all over them. No idea why he's getting plaudits for this, was the least he could do. She looked a lovely lass.
I think that's a bit harsh.
As I watched MOTD and saw his stupid questioning face after kicking the ball away and then falling over the nearest opposition player, I was shouting obscenities at him.
But, I was touched by this video, not that he did anything amazing, but the little thing that he did choose to do brought such joy to that girl and her family. Fair play.
"Dixie" Dean Coney - the legend lives on!

We Are Premier League

Think Tosin would have been sent off if he would have done to Greedish what was done to him after the 2nd goal....Greedish would have been on the deck looking for the magic sponge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvHubmevDNk     0:43 in the video

Lordedmundo

Quote from: Dixie on February 07, 2022, 01:50:03 PM
As I watched MOTD and saw his stupid questioning face after kicking the ball away and then falling over the nearest opposition player, I was shouting obscenities at him.
But, I was touched by this video, not that he did anything amazing, but the little thing that he did choose to do brought such joy to that girl and her family. Fair play.

I think it is easy to get confused with a players on field 'persona' with what they are like as a person. I'm not saying all players are lovely, warm hearted blokes off the pitch, but using another example - Robbie Savage who was always a total twit on the pitch, but comes across as a fairly decent down to earth bloke when he is presenting and doing interviews etc (however, I have never met him!)

Watching the video of yesterdays game, I hated the way Grealish reacts for the penalty, as if the challenge on him was some kind of personal affront. Earlier in game there was a bit of needle with Chalobah after a challenge - yet a few mins later Grealish is the first player to run over and check on Chalobah after he goes down injured.

bencher

Quote from: Lordedmundo on February 07, 2022, 02:16:48 PM
Quote from: Dixie on February 07, 2022, 01:50:03 PM

I think it is easy to get confused with a players on field 'persona' with what they are like as a person. I'm not saying all players are lovely, warm hearted blokes off the pitch, but using another example - Robbie Savage who was always a total twit on the pitch, but comes across as a fairly decent down to earth bloke when he is presenting and doing interviews etc (however, I have never met him!)

Watching the video of yesterdays game, I hated the way Grealish reacts for the penalty, as if the challenge on him was some kind of personal affront. Earlier in game there was a bit of needle with Chalobah after a challenge - yet a few mins later Grealish is the first player to run over and check on Chalobah after he goes down injured.

I was thinking of this earlier. I am a solicitor and you sometimes have to be a bit of a d*ck for your clients to get the best result for them, but that doesn't mean that is your true personality. Actually, come to think of it...

Whitestone

Lots of fuss about Grealish but few questioning our defending. He was allowed to waltz through without any serious challenge. That's what disappointed me most.

YankeeJim

Quote from: Whitestone on February 07, 2022, 05:33:41 PM
Lots of fuss about Grealish but few questioning our defending. He was allowed to waltz through without any serious challenge. That's what disappointed me most.

I can just imagine the gnashing of teeth and hissy fits thrown if Robinson had given away that penalty.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Luka

Quote from: YankeeJim on February 08, 2022, 04:47:58 PM
Quote from: Whitestone on February 07, 2022, 05:33:41 PM

I can just imagine the gnashing of teeth and hissy fits thrown if Robinson had given away that penalty.
Robinson probably wouldn't of got near him considering the amount of time he's caught out of position.