News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Loosely Fulham Related: What happened to Old London Bridge?

Started by MikeTheCubed, February 06, 2022, 11:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeTheCubed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5CguqywlBk

QuoteIn 1720, the Prime Minister Robert Walpole was in a rush to get back to Westminster for an important debate in Parliament after visiting the King. When he arrived at the Fulham horse ferry, the watermen were having a pint on the opposite side of the river, and they refused to come across until they finished their drink. Walpole missed the debate, and from that day declared war on the river.

bencher

rebel

Cornishnick

Enjoyed that vid, very good.
I have a lovely book of progress drawings of the demolition of the old bridge and building of the new one. It was a limited edition book presumably for the bosses of the companies involved. My Dad, bless him, did all the bookbinding on them and do you know, somehow there must have been one left over. Can't understand how that happened  :005: It's one of the few reminders I have of my Dad now and really shows what a skill good bookbinding is.

YankeeJim

As a side note, when the bridge was disassembled all the stones were marked with a wax type marker so it could be properly reassembled. If you've ever been to Arizona, you understand the problem. Lake Havasu City is hotter then hell. Temps of 47-48 are reached on a regular bases during the summer months. The wind often blows so it really very much like standing in front of a large hair dryer. Imagine what temps like that do to waxy substances. All the markings melted away and the assemblers had to send to London for some old English engineer who had great knowledge of the bridge. He arrived and with some effort the bridge was put together over a stretch of desert. Then dug a trench under the span that connected with the lake  and now the bridge spans some water.
I can say that I've both driven and walked across London Bridge. How many of you Londoners can say that?  :wine:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Holders

I'm no Londoner but I've both driven and walked over the new London bridge. By coincidence I also have a friend in Lake Havasu City. Goodness knows why she moved there from California which is supposed to be nicer. She talks about boat races or something similar on the lake. Sent me a box of the best grapefruits that I've ever tasted grown in her garden.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria