https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 14/03/22...

Started by WhiteJC, March 13, 2022, 08:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

WhiteJC

3 Fulham players who impressed in a hard-fought 1-1 draw v Barnsley

Fulham travelled north from London to take on Barnsley at Oakwell in Saturday's early Championship game. They returned to the capital with a share of the points after a 1-1 draw.

It was a classic case of a top-by-a-mile side in the Cottagers taking on a side like the Tykes who are staring relegation in the face. The points shared from the game means that Fuham were 14 points ahead of the pack before the rest of the games got underway.

In a game where Fulham dominated the first half (62.8% possession), Barnsley were still able to fashion more chances (7 to 6). It was also a half where they went in 1-0 up after Carlton Morris (44′) converted a penalty.

The second half Fulham up the ante as they went looking for a result. It was pretty much one-way traffic for the Londoners who controlled possession (72%) and created far more chances (10 to 1) than their hosts.

However, chances need to be put away and that's what Fulham did, Harry Wilson (86′) grabbing the much-needed equaliser.

That 1-1 result was enough to see Fulham maintain their imperious march towards the Championship title and promotion back to the Premier League.

Here are three Fulham players who impressed in what was a hard-fought draw in South Yorkshire against a determined Barnsley outfit.

Harry Wilson – WhoScored rating 7.7

Former Liverpool youngster Wilson was always going to score highly what with his goal. However, he was the highest-rated of the Fulham players for more than just that. He was accurate (79%) in his passing, completing 33 passes. What was more impressive was that four of these were key passes that created chances for the Cottagers.

Tom Cairney – WhoScored rating 7.2

Nottingham-born Cairney was the second-highest rated of Fulham's players – this despite him only playing half the game. Coming on at half-time, 31-year-old Cairney completed 31 passes (72%) accuracy as well as winning all four of his dribble attempts. His introduction allowed Fulham to turn the key in the second half.

Fabio Carvalho – WhoScored rating 7.1

19-year-old Carvalho continues to make strides in the Championship as well as adding to his burgeoning reputation. His assist for Harry Wilson's equaliser was his 6th of the season to go alongside seven goals. He was highly accurate (90%) with his passing and created four chances from his 19 completed passes.

https://the72.co.uk/265813/3-fulham-players-who-impressed-in-a-hard-fought-1-1-draw-v-barnsley/

WhiteJC

Bolton Wanderers boss provides injury update on Fulham loanee Marlon Fossey after Plymouth Argyle defeat

Bolton Wanderers boss Ian Evatt says Marlon Fossey got a 'few twinges in his knee' during yesterday's 1-0 defeat at home to Plymouth Argyle in League One.

Bolton Wanderers welcomed play-off rivals Plymouth Argyle to the UniBol Stadium yesterday.

A goal from Macaulay Gillesphey in the 43rd minute sealed the win for the travelling Green Army, who move up into 6th place of the table with the win whilst Bolton remain in 11th.

It was a battling performance form Bolton. There were plenty of positives to take from the game but a potential blow for them came after Fossey limped off the pitch towards the end of the game.

The man on loan from Fulham has become a key player in recent weeks and speaking to bwfc.co.uk about his injury, Evatt said:

"He's got a few twinges in his knee. We'll have to see how that settles."

The 23-year-old has featured 15 times in League One for Bolton Wanderers since joining on loan in January. He's since scored one goal and assisted five, becoming a key player for Evatt's side who've become dark horses for a top-six spot in recent weeks.

Form sliding...
After going on a really positive run after January, Bolton have now won just one of their last four in League One. They find themselves in 11th and now 10 points outside the top-six, though Bolton fans are content with what they're seeing.

Evatt has really galvanised the whole club and its loyal fan base, with Fossey being one of a number of January arrivals who've helped transform the club's season.

Fans will be praying that his injury isn't too serious, with a trip to Crewe Alexandra on the cards next weekend.

https://the72.co.uk/265885/bolton-wanderers-boss-provides-injury-update-on-fulham-loanee-marlon-fossey-after-plymouth-argyle-defeat/

WhiteJC

2 aerials won, 1 dribble: The Fulham man who struggled to assert his authority in 1-1 draw at Barnsley

Fulham dropped two points in their title procession in a 1-1 draw at relegation-threatened Barnsley in Saturday lunchtime's Championship fixture.

Harry Wilson will not want to watch back the chance he missed late on, but having levelled proceedings with a superb shot into the top left corner Marco Silva should forgive him.

It was a frustrating afternoon for Championship record-breaker Aleksandar Mitrovic, the Serbian was very well marshalled by Michael Helik, Mads Andersen and Liam Kitching as the Tykes proved stiff opposition for the league leaders.

Wilson and Fabio Carvalho in particular had some bright moments, but Mitrovic did not have his usual impact in leading the line.

The 27-year-old did not make his elite aerial threat count and could not add to the 35 goals he has scored this season.

According to WhoScored.com, Mitrovic only won two aerials in the whole game and was only able to complete one dribble even when he dropped deeper to receive possession.

The way they contained the league's top scorer will have been very encouraging to watch for Poya Asbaghi as they were able to frustrate the Cottagers in their title pursuit

Mitrovic will have one eye on Guy Whittingham's record, 42 goals in the second tier as a 46-game format, and that would have added to the disappointment at his own performance at Oakwell.

The Barnsley defensive trio surrounded the Serbian whenever a cross came into the box, showing excellent organisation and fight in their precarious position in the table.

Mitrovic may well have identified this fixture to fill his boots in chasing the record, but in reality, at this stage of the season it is sometimes even harder to play against the teams fighting for their lives at the bottom of the table, than it is facing a side narrowly inside the top half.

There will be more opportunities for Mitrovic to add to his tally, and with such an incredible supporting cast at Craven Cottage, the record is still in sight.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/2-aerials-won-1-dribble-the-fulham-man-who-struggled-to-assert-his-authority-in-1-1-draw-at-barnsley/

WhiteJC

Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Fulham - prediction, team news, lineups

Fulham make the trip to West Bromwich Albion on Tuesday evening looking to reach the 80-point mark in the Championship standings, moving them closer to promotion back to the Premier League.

Sitting seven points adrift of the playoffs having play a game more, West Brom head into this fixture realistically needing to avoid defeat to build some momentum ahead of the run-in.

Match preview
In isolation, a 1-1 draw at lowly Barnsley does not look a good result for a team chasing promotion, but Marco Silva would have been relieved to see his Fulham side battle back at Oakwell.

Barnsley were fortunate to go ahead through a penalty courtesy of a foul in the build-up, and it was left to Harry Wilson to produce a moment of brilliance during the closing stages to earn a share of the spoils.

While Wilson should have headed home a winner after that equaliser, Silva will eventually see the result as another point gained, particularly with third, fourth and fifth place all failing to take advantage.

With Huddersfield Town only able to amass 90 points, Fulham require just 14 points from 10 matches to secure a return to the top flight, although they will remain with one eye on second-placed Bournemouth who trail by 12 points with two matches in hand.

The meeting with West Brom represents their last fixture until April 2, and it represents an opportunity to enter the extended break by reaching 80 points, heaping more pressure on the chasing pack.

From West Brom's perspective, they would have preferred an easier fixture than playing host to the standout team in the division, but Steve Bruce knows that it cannot be used as an excuse when it comes to gaining a result.

Four points have been collected from matches with Hull City and Huddersfield Town, the draw with the latter coming courtesy of two late goals to fight back from 2-0 adrift.

Although Bruce would have been less than impressed with the goals that they conceded, he would have been equally delighted to see Andy Carroll finally end his wait for a goal in a Baggies shirt.

Now down in 14th spot, the playoffs look unlikely for West Brom, but if they can post a minimum 24 points from their remaining 10 fixtures, there remains a small possibility of avoiding a second campaign outside of the Premier League.

West Bromwich Albion Championship form:

D    L    L    L    W    D

Fulham Championship form:

L    W    W    W    W    D

Team News
Carroll will hope to be recalled to the West Brom XI, the target man potentially taking the place of Callum Robinson.

Despite the level of their performance before the comeback, the other 10 players could retain their spots, particularly with the extra rest from a Friday evening fixture.

With this their last game before the international break, Fulham boss Silva may be prepared to opt against squad rotation for this contest.

Nevertheless, Ivan Cavaleiro will hope to replace Bobby Decordova-Reid on the left flank, with Nathaniel Chalobah and Tom Cairney both options in central midfield.

Having sustained a minor injury ahead of the Barnsley game, Neeskens Kebano may sit out for the second successive fixture.

West Bromwich Albion possible starting lineup:
Johnstone; Ajayi, Bartley, Clarke; Furlong, Gardner-Hickman, Livermore, Mowatt, Townsend; Grant, Robinson

Fulham possible starting lineup:
Rodak; Williams, Adarabioyo, Ream, Robinson; Reed, Chalobah; Wilson, Carvalho, Cavaleiro; Mitrovic

We say: West Bromwich Albion 1-2 Fulham

Fulham had to work hard to salvage a point at Oakwell on Saturday, and we feel that it will be no different at The Hawthorns. However, the Cottagers' extra firepower could prove decisive in the final third, earning them an invaluable win in the promotion race.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/championship-promotion-race/preview/preview-west-brom-vs-fulham-prediction-team-news-lineups_480621.html?cQx=NN&newsnow

WhiteJC

Neco Williams opens up on social media abuse – "I just felt angry, embarrassed"

Neco Williams has opened up on the social media abuse from Liverpool 'fans' that led to him briefly closing off contact, saying it left him "angry" and "embarrassed."

For a relatively low-profile youngster, Williams has attracted a strange level of criticism during his time with Jurgen Klopp's first team.

Now shining on loan at Fulham, the right-back spent two-and-a-half years with the senior squad prior to his switch to Craven Cottage, making 33 appearances so far.

The majority of those came last season, including a run of four consecutive starts across the Premier League and Champions League, but it was the 7-2 win over Lincoln that attracted the most attention.

So fierce was the social media response to Williams' performance that night that he restored to 'blacking out' his feeds, and speaking to VERSUS about his experience, he revealed its impact.

"Even though I'm only 20 now, I've been through I'd say quite a lot and experienced quite a lot," he reflected.

"I've been through the highs and I've been through the lows. It's been like a rollercoaster.

"I had a hard time on social media when I was probably 19. I remember that time quite well because it was the first-ever time I got abused on Twitter for one of my performances.

"I'm not going to lie, it was a very tough time. Everything was just horrible on there, and that was the first-ever time I'd experienced that.

"I didn't want to be around anyone, I just went straight to my house in Liverpool and stayed there on my own.

"I just felt angry, embarrassed, I didn't know what to do. Looking back on it now, I just wish I spoke to more people.

"I would 100 percent tell younger people to connect with real people and tell them what's going on, how you're feeling and just get it basically all off your chest."

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2022/03/neco-williams-opens-up-on-social-media-abuse-i-just-felt-angry-embarrassed/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva delivers verdict on Harry Wilson's Fulham miss against Barnsley

Fulham manager Marco Silva decided against being too damning on Harry Wilson despite his late miss against Barnsley, speaking after the match at Oakwell to his side's media team.

The Cottagers were clear favourites going into this match with the two sides at either end of the table and the visitors losing just one league game in 2022 thus far, establishing themselves not just as automatic promotion favourites, but title favourites too.

However, it was the relegation battlers that took the lead, with Carlton Morris winning a very harsh penalty before picking himself up and sending Marek Rodak the wrong way to give themselves the advantage shortly before half-time.

However, they were unable to keep their lead with Wilson bending in a superb shot in the 86th minute to secure a point on the road for the west London outfit, not a perfect result but one that won't derail their promotion hopes.

They should have taken all three points away from South Yorkshire though, with Fabio Carvalho's inch-perfect cross somehow being headed wide by the goalscorer who had the goal at his mercy.

For a man who has scored 10 goals in 32 league appearances this term, this was an especially disappointing moment for the Welshman but his manager backed him to put it right against West Brom in midweek.

Silva said: "Everyone expected in that second moment that he would score. He did brilliantly with the first one. That's football.

"The main thing for me is that he was there in the right moment to score and I'm sure in three days [against West Brom] he will have another chance to score.

"The most important thing for me is that it was a very good delivery from Fabio, and he was in the right spot to create the chance."

The Verdict:

Silva probably would have judged that miss in a different light if the Cottagers weren't in such a strong position – but the fact he was in the right place at the right time is a great point that he makes.

Exploiting that space in the first place just shows how intelligent he is as a player and that bodes well for next season when they are likely to be competing in the Premier League, a level he has played at before.

Keeping confidence levels high is paramount, so criticising him for the miss in public or in private would be nonsensical considering how much of an important player he is.

If he wasn't pulling his weight for the team, then Silva has every right to take aim at him but you can tell the Welshman is fully immersed in the project at Craven Cottage and his boss has clearly spotted that as well, already going a long way in repaying his £12m fee.

Spending that much on a player in the Championship and during the Covid-19 pandemic could have been seen as a major gamble – but he's proven to be a game-changer. Not only has he managed to remain fit for the vast majority of the season, but he's also been crucial going forward alongside Aleksandar Mitrovic.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/marco-silva-delivers-verdict-on-harry-wilsons-fulham-miss-against-barnsley/

WhiteJC

Hull City's interest in Ryan Babel transfer emerges again with summer move touted

The former Liverpool player is out of contract in the summer

Supporters may remember Ryan Babel from his stint in the Premier League at Liverpool and Fulham.

The Dutchman was renowned for his eccentric hairstyles but was effective on the pitch, too, forming part of the Reds squad that was a whisker away from clinching the title under Rafa Benitez in 2008/09. Babel became somewhat of a journeyman after leaving Merseyside, having stints at Hoffenheim, Ajax, Kasimpasa, Al Ain, Deportivo and Besiktas before returning to the top flight with Fulham in 2019.

A second spell in England was less successful as the Cottagers were immediately relegated back down to the Championship. However, the winger will be hoping to make it third time lucky in England if he does join the Acun Ilicali revolution at the MKM Stadium.

HullLive reported in January that the Tigers are interested in Babel - whose contract expires at the end of the campaign. Now, fresh claims suggest a move could be back on the cards in the summer as Shota Arveladze looks to bolster his ranks and help Hull climb up the Championship table.

Currently at Turkish giants Galatasaray - where he has played since leaving Fulham in 2019 - Babel is still playing regular football and scored his first goal of the season against Caykur Rizespor a fortnight ago. Now aged 35, his days of playing at the top level are over but he could still do a job for the Tigers in the second tier.

Signing Babel would bring a vast wealth of experience to a Hull dressing room that is in desperate need of a winning mentality. Throughout his career, Babel has won two Eredivisie titles, a Dutch Cup, a Turkish league title and a Turkish Super Cup. The veteran was also part of the Netherlands squad that reached the 2010 World Cup final - albeit failing to play a minute - but 69 caps means he would arrive with serious international pedigree.

New boss Arveladze is familiar with Babel, having managed him for two seasons at Kasimpasa. The relationship was a fruitful one, with the winger bagging nine league goals in the Georgian's final season in charge.

Youngster Lewis Keane-Potter would also benefit from Babel's arrival. The 21-year-old has been a rare highlight in an otherwise disappointing campaign and his game could improve further with a name like Babel joining the club. Learning his craft from someone who played on the biggest stage could help the winger take his game to the next level.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/hull-city-ryan-babel-transfer-6796114