watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Family Trees and Great Findings

Started by DukeTyrion, March 19, 2022, 05:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeTyrion

I bit of a random story, but I thought a few of you may resonate so...

I was born in Watford, as was my brother. He ended up being a Watford season ticket holder and I ended up being a Fulham season ticket holder. I always thought it was mainly sibling rivalry, but I always felt a bit of a calling to Fulham, and used to play as Fulham in all the football games I played growing up.

Anyway, fast forward to yesterday. I have been working on my family tree with my mum and yesterday she pulled out some paperwork showing that my great grandad lived most of his life in Fulham and my grandad was born there, before moving out when he was a little older.

It might sound like much to many, but I felt a very warm glow when I was looking at the old census documents. Just thought I would share.

blingo

You can take the boy out of Fulham 👍👍😂😂

SP

Thanks for posting DT, FFC is definately a calling.

As I approach retirement age, I've started to wonder how my Saturdays will feel when I can no longer get to the Cottage. I think I'll miss the journey & meeting mates as much as the football.

Fulham 442

Quote from: DukeTyrion on March 19, 2022, 05:31:50 PM
I bit of a random story, but I thought a few of you may resonate so...

I was born in Watford, as was my brother. He ended up being a Watford season ticket holder and I ended up being a Fulham season ticket holder. I always thought it was mainly sibling rivalry, but I always felt a bit of a calling to Fulham, and used to play as Fulham in all the football games I played growing up.

Anyway, fast forward to yesterday. I have been working on my family tree with my mum and yesterday she pulled out some paperwork showing that my great grandad lived most of his life in Fulham and my grandad was born there, before moving out when he was a little older.

It might sound like much to many, but I felt a very warm glow when I was looking at the old census documents. Just thought I would share.
Your roots were clearly calling you and you knew where you belonged.  It is always a special feeling going to the Cottage and always makes me think of mine...

Holders

As a dabbler in family history, I can absolutely relate to this, Mr. Tyrion.

As an example, when my daughter and her partner bought a house together a few years back it was just a mile or two from the villages in south Hampshire where the last three or four generations of my family had lived. When they got wed a couple of weeks ago, they chose a hotel in north Hampshire just outside Basingstoke. Apart from being the right venue for them in terms of atmosphere etc, I wondered why they'd chosen there. Then, when I looked at the map to go there, I saw that it was just a couple of miles from the ancestral village of my family as far back as I've been able to trace.

It was as if everything had gone full circle and was utterly uncanny. It seems more than mere coincidence - and your example is similar.

The Fates at work, I suspect.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Woolly Mammoth

When i took the trouble to look at my family tree 🌲🌳 i discovered that i was the Sap.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rebel

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 20, 2022, 08:55:26 AM
When i took the trouble to look at my family tree 🌲🌳 i discovered that i was the Sap.

I thought you were related to a T Rex, twice removed, still at least you can be put on display when you leave this world. 

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: rebel on March 20, 2022, 10:52:12 AM

I thought you were related to a T Rex, twice removed, still at least you can be put on display when you leave this world. 

Did you know my family tree accesses the internet by logging in.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

rebel

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 20, 2022, 03:50:10 PM
Quote from: rebel on March 20, 2022, 10:52:12 AM

Did you know my family tree accesses the internet by logging in.

The biggie, only you can answer, are there more trees or people in this world?   

Cornishnick

My Dad was Polish and we lived across the river in Putney when I was growing up. Managed to get both my sons into the Fulham way of life which was no meant feat living in Sheffield at the time. My eldest son gave me a wonderful birthday present recently, he had researched my Polish roots using a genealigist from Poland, and had found family back 4 generations. Since the Ukraine war began, I looked a little closer at the geography of it and found that Dad grew up within 15 mins of the Ukraine border. Quite an unnerving feeling I can tell you.