watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

CB Target - Joe Worrall ???

Started by howitis, March 20, 2022, 08:20:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitis

Don't know too much about this lad but just watched him have a sensational game vs
Liverpool in the FA Cup. English , 25 years old and has represented country at multiple age groups.
If Forest don't go up via the play offs we should def enquire ...

South Coast White

Agree, had a good game, strong and solid.

JimmyConway

Very assured. I was impressed and certainly can play at higher level than the championship. Have to say on today's performance he looks a better centre back than any of ours.
Thought the goalie who we were linked with pre season looked good. Very busy marshalling his defenders.

filham

Priority has to be to ensure that Tosin stays and then top target has to be Andersen surely, we know he and Tosin work well together.

Sting of the North

Quote from: filham on March 21, 2022, 12:54:59 PM
Priority has to be to ensure that Tosin stays and then top target has to be Andersen surely, we know he and Tosin work well together.

Seems very unlikely Andersen would be available. Why would Palace sell one of their starters to us? Why would he want to leave a mid table London team for a team that will likely have to fight relegation? Any such deal would cost us an arm and a leg and then some I would imagine.

Sting of the North

Quote from: JimmyConway on March 20, 2022, 09:51:23 PM
Very assured. I was impressed and certainly can play at higher level than the championship. Have to say on today's performance he looks a better centre back than any of ours.
Thought the goalie who we were linked with pre season looked good. Very busy marshalling his defenders.

Has anyone here seen him play more than the odd game? Otherwise it sounds like for example someone watching us play Man United last year and believing Ream is a top PL defender based on that sole performance.

Now I'm not saying Worrall is a one hit wonder, but I haven't seen much of him, so wondering if there is someone that has?

filham

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 21, 2022, 01:11:35 PM
Quote from: filham on March 21, 2022, 12:54:59 PM

Seems very unlikely Andersen would be available. Why would Palace sell one of their starters to us? Why would he want to leave a mid table London team for a team that will likely have to fight relegation? Any such deal would cost us an arm and a leg and then some I would imagine.

Yes guess you are right about Andersen but important we get this signing right, we have made a few bad signings with center backs in recent years.
I suspect Ream will retire but do we then also want Kongolo, Hector and Mawson to stay. Kongolo with his injury problems is the passenger.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Sting of the North on March 21, 2022, 01:14:26 PM
Quote from: JimmyConway on March 20, 2022, 09:51:23 PM

Has anyone here seen him play more than the odd game? Otherwise it sounds like for example someone watching us play Man United last year and believing Ream is a top PL defender based on that sole performance.

Now I'm not saying Worrall is a one hit wonder, but I haven't seen much of him, so wondering if there is someone that has?

The statistics say he is an excellent defender (i.e. much too good for the championship), but a poor passer and a slow runner, so Manchester United pressuring high up the pitch and his team defending in a low block is going to make him look exceptional.  It was not the right game to judge his weaknesses, although it sounds like his statistical strengths have been confirmed with an eye test.  At the right price that means cheap, he could be a very good buy as we probably could use someone excellent at defending next year.

blingo

There's a very good reason why a prem team hasn't come in for him before. Not much escapes their scouts. One game doesn't make a player. We can't afford to get this wrong either. We need proven premiership quality players and not players who looked great in one game if we want to stay up. I have faith in everything Silva has done so far. I'm happy leaving it to him.

filham

Quote from: blingo on March 22, 2022, 08:58:48 AM
There's a very good reason why a prem team hasn't come in for him before. Not much escapes their scouts. One game doesn't make a player. We can't afford to get this wrong either. We need proven premiership quality players and not players who looked great in one game if we want to stay up. I have faith in everything Silva has done so far. I'm happy leaving it to him.
Silva is doing so well for us but he is not fullproof in the transfer market.
Chalobah ,who must have been his choice, isn't doing too well and will need replacing if we are promoted.

Twig

Quote from: filham on March 22, 2022, 09:22:14 AM
Chalobah ,who must have been his choice, isn't doing too well and will need replacing if we are promoted.

Got to agree on that point.

Bassey the warrior

He was on a free and worth the punt. Low risk signing.

Tooting legend

Nathaniel Chalobah – £3m from Watford. He wasn't a free.

Whitestone

Tosin is the only CB who we can rely on to perform in the Premier League. If we pair him up with Joe Worrall we'll get relegated. I hope the recruitment team can find another CB who is at least as good as Andersen was last season. That's the quality required if we are to stand any chance of survival (if promoted).

Bronaldinho

@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

Twig

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on March 23, 2022, 08:36:12 AM

He was on a free and worth the punt. Low risk signing.

He wasn't free and I don't see it as a "punt". I don't see it as having worked out however and I agree with previous posters that this is one that Silva must have had an influence on.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Bronaldinho on March 23, 2022, 03:21:02 PM
I'd love Worrall or Rodon!

We need both, a centre-back squad of Tosin, Worrall, Rodon, Hector, and Kongolo would be strong.

Mince n Tatties

I'd rather have McKenna from Forest who has been outstanding for them this season,never played v Liverpool  due to injury,we looked at him when he was at Aberdeen  but Forest got the bargain for 2 million,Leicester now looking at him as potential summer buy.

Whitestone

McKenna and Worrall were part of a defence that we steam rollered 4-0 at the City Ground back in October. I'm not suggesting anyone can't have a bad game but we need to get the CB recruitment right if we're going to have any realistic chance of staying up in the event of promotion. Neither are at the level of Andersen and that's the type of quality we will need to recruit.

I agree with TRF (above) that we probably need two CB's. I don't believe Hector is up to the level and Kongolo seems to be permanently injured. If either Ream or Hector start regularly in the Premier League we would ship goals galore. Ream was a part of one of the worst Premier League defences ever in 2018/19 season. I wouldn't be surprised if both he and Mawson moved on in the summer.

I've seen Joe Gomez mentioned. Good player but with his injury history coupled with the bad luck we've had with Mawson and Kongolo it would be a massive gamble and would take a huge slice of the budget.

bencher

I would look for one of the better CBs at teams in the mix for relegation. Someone with experience at PL level. If Everton go down, perhaps Ben Godfrey or Mason Holgate, if Burnley, Mee or Tarkowski, or even Kevin Long. Although I suspect the Burnley guys are quite loyal.