News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army- As an aside and from the archives.

Started by bog, March 23, 2022, 01:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

As a relatively avid collector of 1950's FFC programmes one of my most prized is of the first England Schoolboy International played at Wembley v Scotland in front of of 53,000 spectators on the 15th April 1950. Here is the pen picture of one of the England youngsters:-

John Haynes (Edmonton). Inside right. Plays for London and Middlesex and is in his third season with Edmonton. Smallest player in the side but a natural ball player with style. Splits defences wide open with uncannily directed passes. Age 15. Height 5ft 1in. Weight 7st 5 lbs.

Despite being about 8 inches shorter and 3 stone lighter than most of the others the footballing world was introduced to the wizardry of Johnny when he scored three and had a hand in most of the others in an 8-2 win.
Others who went on to make a living from the game that day were Ronald Cope, Edwin Clamp, Raymond Parry and from the reserves, Colin Booth and Frank Blunstone. (Although they called him Blumstone. Good job they didn't also leave out the L.... )

As for the Scots boys a reserve that day was a certain David Mackay.

Nine years later both he and Johnny would score at White Hart Lane in a 1-1 draw.

Apparently the performance that day by the young Maestro was breathtaking.

Can't beat a bit of nostalgia.     

Thank you and good night.

092.gif     

paulbrookersmazydribbles

Thanks for posting that.

Never saw Haynes play - had to rely on others' recollections and what video clips are available, so it is always interesting to read these types of accounts.

filham

So that magnificent talent was there for all to see when he was a 15 year old, 5ft 1in tall, and weighed 7 stone.
We were so lucky that he chose Fulham when London must have been at his feet.

paulbrookersmazydribbles

I believe Tosh was pretty influential in Johnny picking Fulham, but I might be wrong.

bog

Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on March 23, 2022, 02:10:20 PM
I believe Tosh was pretty influential in Johnny picking Fulham, but I might be wrong.

Yes Tosh was the reason Johnny signed for us, he was already on the ground staff. They were big mates. Thanks Tosh.  :54: 

filham

Quote from: bog on March 23, 2022, 03:00:48 PM
Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on March 23, 2022, 02:10:20 PM

Yes Tosh was the reason Johnny signed for us, he was already on the ground staff. They were big mates. Thanks Tosh.  :54: 
Yes Tosh was a major influence on Johnny but our back room boys were pretty good in those days and played a part in ensuring that the opportunity didn't slip through their hands.
I recall talking to Fred Perry, a Fulham coach, at a tennis club some time before we had seen Haynes in action at the Cottage and he told me that the club had worked hard in signing a young player who was something really special.

Peabody

bog

toshes mate

"Because of the geographical restrictions, whilst England were beating Scotland at Hampden Park in 1950, television viewers had to make do with live coverage of Wembley's first schoolboy international. This was an unexpected ten-goal treat, though, with a 15-year-old Johnny Haynes inspiring England to an 8-2 victory against their Scottish counterparts".

http://englandfootballonline.com/TeamMedia/Television/TV1947-50.htm

bog

Quote from: toshes mate on March 23, 2022, 04:45:08 PM
"Because of the geographical restrictions, whilst England were beating Scotland at Hampden Park in 1950, television viewers had to make do with live coverage of Wembley's first schoolboy international. This was an unexpected ten-goal treat, though, with a 15-year-old Johnny Haynes inspiring England to an 8-2 victory against their Scottish counterparts".

Thanks for this Tosh'smate. I wish there was a tape of the game kept.   

ron

Quote from: filham on March 23, 2022, 02:08:35 PM
So that magnificent talent was there for all to see when he was a 15 year old, 5ft 1in tall, and weighed 7 stone.
We were so lucky that he chose Fulham when London must have been at his feet.

....and indeed later, when the world - particularly Italy - was at those feet!

sunburywhite

One of the commentators was Jimmy Jewell

Not him from our Nellies pickle factory?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

toshes mate

Quote from: sunburywhite on March 24, 2022, 07:08:57 PM

One of the commentators was Jimmy Jewell

Not him from our Nellies pickle factory?
Jimmy Jewel & Ben Warris was my immediate memory reaction to the name.

Jimmy Jewell the BBC commentator sadly died in the early 1950s which is why Ken Wolstenholme became the senior commentator for the WC Final 1966 and 'they think it's all over ...'.  Funny how things pan out.

bog

A real pity that Johnny never won anything for all his graft and talent playing for us. 1958 and 1962 Fulham should have won both the first games in the FA Cup semis.

After his car crash he never played for England again, Ramsey had replaced Winterbottom and even when Johnny was fit again he chose to overlook him. In 1966 Johnny was back on top form and only 31 and the media were at Ramsey to give just one game to see if he could make the World Cup squad (Like Robson and Gazza) but he continued to ignore him. Haynes and Greaves were a lethal combination.

Plus, when Johnny was on the edge of his first team debut, can you believe this? After being loaned out to Finchley and Wimbledon he was feeling fobbed off. So he went to see (I think) Tom Whittaker at Arsenal to see if they would take him on. Tom said some thing the like of 'Have a bit more patience John, go back to Fulham where your chance will undoubtedly come... ' can you imagine that happening these days?  Thanks Tom.  :54: