watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR The Oscars

Started by blingo, March 28, 2022, 10:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blingo

I just don't get the point of this outdated, over hyped soporific night for over inflated ego centrical people of the film world. And who on earth decides who should get what? Are they paid to promote a particular film, score, director etc etc?

It's just so plastic.

filham

It needed the introduction of a good right hook to make it news worthy.
Does anyone know what the joke was that caused the punch.

FFC1987

Quote from: filham on March 28, 2022, 10:30:25 AM

He said he was looking forward to seeing Jaden as the next GI Jane as she has a bald haircut due to alopecia.

blingo

No arrest!!!! Clearly an assault, captured on camera. If it had been a normal guy in the street, he would have been arrested and charged. So why not a famous actor? Are they immune to prosecution if they commit a crime? I'm not justifying the compere's words, in fact I thought it was inexcusable, but he took it well.

MikeTheCubed

Out of left field, but perhaps they were acting?

Holders

It's such a self-important, artificial, pretentious. oleaginous, self-congratulatory,  luvvie load of claptrap. And to think that there was a suggestion that Zelenskyy should address them - as he has various parliaments - is elevating this bunch of overpaid non-entities to a status even greater than that of their own narcissism.

Besides, aren't there enough films already - what's the point of wasting hundreds, possibly thousands of pounds on making yet more?

Apart from that I can take it or leave it...
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Hugh Gentry

cookieg

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on March 28, 2022, 11:31:57 AM
Total set up

Given that Will Smith trained for Ali I would have thought that a slap from him would send someone into next week. Quite probably staged.

rebel

I don't condone violence.

Was Will Smith, playing Scissor, Paper or ROCK?

Clearly missed the other two.

rebel

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on March 28, 2022, 11:31:57 AM
Total set up

It wasn't a set up, Smith was angry, if you listen to his spoken words.

Jim©

Quote from: blingo on March 28, 2022, 10:46:44 AM
No arrest!!!! Clearly an assault, captured on camera. If it had been a normal guy in the street, he would have been arrested and charged. So why not a famous actor? Are they immune to prosecution if they commit a crime? I'm not justifying the compere's words, in fact I thought it was inexcusable, but he took it well.
I'd imagine there were 10,000 "slaps" that were way harder in the UK over the weekend without arrest or charge.

blingo

Quote from: Jim© on March 28, 2022, 11:51:52 AM
Quote from: blingo on March 28, 2022, 10:46:44 AM
I'd imagine there were 10,000 "slaps" that were way harder in the UK over the weekend without arrest or charge.

I'm sure they were, but were they caught on camera and clearly show who the assaulter was? He can hardly claim mistaken identity. My point is that any John Doe in America would have had guns drawn on him and probably been held down with a knee on his neck.

Holders

Children are starving to death in Yemen, people dying from a drought in Somalia, and perishing horribly from war in Ukraine. Yet the news is full of one bloke hitting another in Los Angeles, discussing whether the joke or the punch was right or wrong. As people die.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

Quote from: FFC1987 on March 28, 2022, 10:34:10 AM
Quote from: filham on March 28, 2022, 10:30:25 AM

He said he was looking forward to seeing Jaden as the next GI Jane as she has a bald haircut due to alopecia.
Not funny and hardly worth a punch, the incident must have been staged.

Lighthouse

I love film and tv and have an interest in old movies and the Oscars.

But the interest in the Oscars ends around the 90s. Now I find it all embarrassing. It has been taken over by the woke community that means the best film no longer would win or the best actor.

A shame as it really did mean something once. But now we have so many awards and congratulations and pandering to fragile egos that it probably should be retired along with every other award show.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Bill2

Cannot stand any award ceremonies, bunch of overpaid people who think they are so important and open their mouths and mostly drivel comes out.

rebel

Quote from: Holders on March 28, 2022, 12:11:06 PM
Children are starving to death in Yemen, people dying from a drought in Somalia, and perishing horribly from war in Ukraine. Yet the news is full of one bloke hitting another in Los Angeles, discussing whether the joke or the punch was right or wrong. As people die.

Agree, well overdone. The Oscar's always throw up something, 'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly'.

F(f)CUK

The joke was in poor taste and clearly upset his wife. Chris Rock did well to continue because I bet that hurt.

cookieg

I'm sure in the days of Jerry Springer and Jeremy Kyle no one was ever arrested when there was a fight as it was stage managed and so not a criminal offence. If that had happened in this country you can guarantee that someone would have phoned the police to report the assault.

rebel

Unless Chris Rock files a complaint, it's not going anywhere. I think it looked a lot worse then it was.