watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Robinson and WBA away.

Started by StuinSalop, March 28, 2022, 07:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuinSalop

Just re-watched this game and looked very carefully at Jedi.  Yes, he misplaced a FEW passes, yes, his miss placed pass which frankly was not a pass more a result of being but under pressure from our own poor play led to their goal, though even then the defending thereafter was terrible.

However:

His all round contribution to the game was very good indeed, he was possibly our most dangerous player going forward, he had a lot better game than Williams and he as usual was a constant threat attacking down the right.  He put in a number of decent crosses and as his recovery to stop attacks against us was mostly outstanding.

So why does he get so much stick.  I really don't understand it.  If he can't play v QPR because of being late back, we will miss him badly. 

bobby01

All the blogs I see on championship players based on game ratings have him as best left back in league, he makes errors but I think his contributions are often overlooked for people looking for the errors.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Whitestone

He's one of a handful of players in the squad who IMO is Premier League ready. Unlikely to be available for the QPR match which is unfortunate. Underrated by many which is perplexing.

Radiowhite

Far better player than Bryan and one of the best lb's in champ, If not the best. Gets too much hate on here for me

Twig

I really don't see a lot of "hate" of Robinson on here. Some clearly feel he's Prem quality and seriously underrated, which is one view, whereas others see positives but also areas where there is a need to improve, which is the other view.

I happen to sit in the latter camp, I admire his pace, workmate and recovery ability but am too often frustrated by his crossing and tendency to give away possession.  I recognise he's still relatively young and could still improve. Hardly "hate", just a critical perspective.

fcfulham55

One of the first on the team sheet for me.  His athleticism, desire plus commitment has to be right up there from what I've ever seen in a Fulham shirt.
Sent from my Nokia 3310

Andy S

He's far from perfect but few are at this level. He makes then odd cock up but that's life

Radiowhite

Quote from: Twig on March 28, 2022, 09:31:17 PM
I really don't see a lot of "hate" of Robinson on here. Some clearly feel he's Prem quality and seriously underrated, which is one view, whereas others see positives but also areas where there is a need to improve, which is the other view.

I happen to sit in the latter camp, I admire his pace, workmate and recovery ability but am too often frustrated by his crossing and tendency to give away possession.  I recognise he's still relatively young and could still improve. Hardly "hate", just a critical perspective.
I'm sure you knew what I meant 👍

The Rational Fan

We need to plan for the future. At the moment, the only "first-team players contracted for next season" that are currently under 26 years old are: Rodak, Tosin, Robinson, Onamah, Wilson, and Muniz. We need to ensure these players improve over the next couple of seasons, otherwise, we will have to buy an entirely new squad in a few seasons and that will be our undoing. At least three of those six need to start regularly in the premier league, I would have thought Tosin, Robinson, and Wilson are the most obvious choices to start, while we may need to find alternative experience for Rodak, Onamah, and Muniz before they are PL starters.

love4ffc

As my wife would say, hate is an ugly word.  I would not say there as been a lot of "hate" on the forum.  However, I would say there has been some over the top criticism that could be seen as borderline hate and disrespect.  For the record, I agree that his touch gets away from him more than everyone would like and that his end product is lacking.  Still, he does produce a lot of opportunities that we have not seen in the past out of LB's. 

As someone else pointed out in a different thread.  It would be nice to see another LB come in over the summer that would not necessarily be a massive upgrade but rather be great competition for Robinson pushing him to improve. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

The Rational Fan

Apart from Tosin and Mitrovic, I really struggle to find any players that everyone agrees is "premier league quality", "injury-free" and "contracted to the club for next season". Some would say Wilson is premier league quality, but he hasn't made his premier league debut yet and may struggle for half a season as Seri and Anguissa did for their debut seasons. Robinson is more ready for the premier league than nearly all of the players in this squad (not Tosin & Mitro) and unless we want to buy eight new first-team players he should play.

perry geyton

hes a very good player with bags of potential but sometimes his feet are faster then his brain,
his crossing hit and miss too

reminds me of Fredericks in many ways

StuinSalop

So I agree with pretty much all the responses so far and totally agree he has issues with his game and I think we all pretty much agree what those issues are, it that is that case, why does he get so much stick when he positive abilities are so much more than the negative ones.  I listened to a few podcasts this week, (not FOF) and he was absolutely canned, I really don't understand why.

bill taylors apprentice

As far as I'm concerned he proved himself defensively capable last season in the PL and continues to be an asset this season.
What is frustrating, with little sign of improvement is his ability to cross the ball half decently or use the ball constructively once he's got into a good attacking position.

I find it amazing that a professional would not work hard at the weakness in his game and improve these things, yet there's no sign of it happening.

Deeping_white

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 29, 2022, 02:13:57 AM
Apart from Tosin and Mitrovic, I really struggle to find any players that everyone agrees is "premier league quality", "injury-free" and "contracted to the club for next season". Some would say Wilson is premier league quality, but he hasn't made his premier league debut yet and may struggle for half a season as Seri and Anguissa did for their debut seasons. Robinson is more ready for the premier league than nearly all of the players in this squad (not Tosin & Mitro) and unless we want to buy eight new first-team players he should play.

Some would say that Wilson having scored 7 times in 31 games in the PL means he's not out of place at that level

simplyfulham

There was a good interview from Hodgson years and years and years ago, where he went on to explain the difference in player quality through the leagues as he sees it. I'm paraphrasing obviously but it went something like this;

If you exclude the top 5-ish sides in the country, most League 2 players are capable of doing the same things as most Premier League players. The key difference is how often and how consistently they can do those things and that's what separates players from being able to play at the highest level.

You'll find left backs in League 2 capable of producing what Robinson can produce on any given match day, but they won't do it across a season.

And Robinson isn't consistent enough to be a Premier League player based on his two seasons with us so far.

From our regular starters he tops the numbers for missed passes and features very high for possession loss and bad touches.

He is capable of doing brilliant things and he might be the quickest player in the league, but he's not consistent enough for me and too many attacks break down because of really poor errors from him.

I think his movement off the ball has improved significantly this year but his positioning out of possession is still a big sticking point for me as well.

Joe is a more traditional full back and I prefer his reliability when up against Robo. But I appreciate there's a swell of favour for Antonee as well.

Jim©

Quote from: The Rational Fan on March 29, 2022, 02:13:57 AM
Some would say Wilson is premier league quality, but he hasn't made his premier league debut yet and may struggle for half a season as Seri and Anguissa did for their debut seasons.

Wilson has been in the Prem. Played 31 times, scored 7 for Bournemouth.
He's one of the best players we've bought for many years. The perfect run-in-behind type that we needed.

Bassey the warrior

Robinson is decent but he needs to cut out the errors. Overall I'd say Williams and Tete are better but he's better than Bryan.

bencher

Overall I like Robinson, but I see a player with a couple of repetitive types of errors, which is frustrating. The error against WBA is one we have seen a number of times, where he looks for a forward pass and doesn't see one, gets closed down, and then plays an off-balance no-look non-pass inside which gives the other team a free run against the CBs. He will get into that situation again, and he needs to be coached, to play it safe, whether that means back to the keeper, into the stands, or down the pitch. Any of the above is preferable to what he does instead.

bencher

Quote from: bencher on March 29, 2022, 10:28:33 AM
Overall I like Robinson, but I see a player with a couple of repetitive types of errors, which is frustrating. The error against WBA is one we have seen a number of times, where he looks for a forward pass and doesn't see one, gets closed down, and then plays an off-balance no-look non-pass inside which gives the other team a free run against the CBs. He will get into that situation again, and he needs to be coached, to play it safe, whether that means back to the keeper, into the stands, or down the pitch. Any of the above is preferable to what he does instead.

I've re-watched the goal now as I wasn't sure. I think Chalobah gets away with it if we only blame Robinson for the goal. Chalobah failed to offer a simple pass, didn't help when Robinson got crowded, and then barely made an effort to chase back. Ream could also have done better.