watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Malcom MacDonald

Started by Zendra, April 04, 2022, 09:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zendra

Interesting  topic below re great  Fulham goal scorers.  Malcom Mac would have been near the top had the Fulham management not sold him to Luton for a pittance . Presumably the manager at the time would have been Bobby Robson or Johnny who had a brief stint as manager ?

Many times over the years I have discussed the fact that we could have had MacDonald , Allan Clarke and Rodney Marsh , also sold cheaply , in the same forward line . In reality I suppose  only two would have played together but I don't think we would have struggled so much in the league with those 3 and Johnny Haynes supplying them.

gang

MacDonald didn't get on with Haynes and was never given much of a chance by us, he was picked once by us to play in goal for the reserves before being moved on.
Rodney Marsh was sold to raise the money to buy Alan Clarke.

Andy S

We got £15,000 for marsh and Clarke cost 35,000. I don't think Haynes and marsh were friends either

Snibbo

We got #17,500 for McDonald, I think.  Shocking bit of business. I remember running into some Luton fans on the train at the time and saying "you've got a future star there".  We'd played him at full back and then moved him forward where he clearly knew how to score goals. Marsh, McDonald sold for peanuts. Then Clarke in a bad cash+swap. If only ...

St Eve

All true, but we did get Ivor for 2lbs of sausages!

Andy S

Yes we could have had the Springett brothers in goal as well

gang

I knew Peter well, he was always going to follow his brother.

Colton F.C.

And we end up with......................Frank Large

Bill2

Used to live in Stevenage Rd opposite the park.

Woodlawn

Quote from: Bill2 on April 05, 2022, 10:16:34 AM
. I think you will find that he lived in Finlay st, left they're when about 10,we used to play together in bishop park,Most of us didn't rate him then but watched him progress to be a good finisher

Zendra

Frank Large  - like quicksilver in the Box . Not sure what box though !

sunburywhite

Quote from: Andy S on April 05, 2022, 02:33:29 AM
Yes we could have had the Springett brothers in goal as well
At the same time?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

HillingdonFFC

I've heard the Haynes & Marsh not getting on story many times over the years. Not sure how true that is because you never hear Rodney Marsh say a bad word about him. Says he idolised him as a player & he wrote on Twitter that he was good with the young players at Fulham

filham

There was talk from time to time that MacDonald and Marsh did not always agree with the Haynes tactics, not sure if there is any truth in it but they both should have known better. The only player to get away with that behaviour was Tosh and neither of them had his personality.

Bill2

Quote from: Woodlawn on April 05, 2022, 11:17:48 AM
Quote from: Bill2 on April 05, 2022, 10:16:34 AM
. I think you will find that he lived in Finlay st, left they're when about 10,we used to play together in bishop park,Most of us didn't rate him then but watched him progress to be a good finisher
Thought is was Stevenage, I also knew him from Bishops Park although knew his younger brother slightly better as he was same age as me.

john dempsey

Allan Clarke on his relationship with Johnny Haynes
best summed up in his quote,
It never Haynes but it pours.
guess there was no love lost between them.

Jims Dentist

We aledgedly tried to sign Toshack from Cardiff also, but ended up building the Riverside Stand instead and getting relegated.
Toshack and Clarke would have been interesting.

deadcowboys

Quote from: Jims Dentist on April 07, 2022, 06:46:04 PM
We aledgedly tried to sign Toshack from Cardiff also, but ended up building the Riverside Stand instead and getting relegated.
Toshack and Clarke would have been interesting.

I thought the transfer broke down because Cardiff wanted him to travel to Tashkent to play in a Cup Winner Cup match & we didn't. The rest is history as they say.