watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham legend - Terry Angus

Started by 70sPimlico, April 11, 2022, 05:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70sPimlico

"So, Terry, congratulations on being inducted as a Fulham Legend". "How are you?"

"Well, as a Coventry fan, I'm very happy"

Just about summed the day up

ALG01

Quote from: 70sPimlico on April 11, 2022, 05:30:45 PM
"So, Terry, congratulations on being inducted as a Fulham Legend". "How are you?"

"Well, as a Coventry fan, I'm very happy"

Just about summed the day up

it did but what a genleman, well spoken and i still love him to bits.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

When not playing he was often seen on the terraces with out supporters at away matches

Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on April 11, 2022, 08:43:15 PM
When not playing he was often seen on the terraces with out supporters at away matches
One of my all time favourites and epitomised everything that was right about the Mickey Adams team. Heart of a lion with a superb attitude to the club and supporters.
I remember him in with the supporters and singing along at Leyton Orient, "Stand up if you're going up" was one of his favourites and I was lucky enough to sit next to him in the League Cup game at Wolves when he had already left the club. A poignant moment as Mickey was wrongly sacked after the game.
There's a great story in the book about the Mickey Adams promotion season when we were playing at Wigan who had a regular goal scorer called Graeme Jones who was a bit of a hot head and Terry was continually winding him up telling him how much better Mickey Conroy was than him, in the end Jones took a swing at Terry who just stood there smiling at him, Jones got sent off.
Happy days before the money arrived at the club and ruined it for me.

Fernhurst

Gawd knows what year it was but there was I standing in the Hammy End watching us play Northampton.
We were attacking the Putney End. Terry and the rest of the defence had pushed right up to the Halfway line when Northampton played a hopeful ball out to curtail our attack. Their main striker (wish I could remember his name) took it down as Terry closed in for the kill. From then on it was like slow motion as Terry slipped and he was away. Terry gamely tried to catch him but it was no use as he gained the penalty area before slipping the ball under the onrushing keeper.
Terry's reaction as Micky immediately subbed him is embedded in my memory (bout the only thing that is) it was if he had just missed a last minute penalty.
Worst still I do believe we lost 0-1.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

filham

Yes, Terry was one of those players we really took to our hearts, not far behind Tosh and Jim Stanard in my book.

fulhamtom

He was lodging in Banstead, where I live. I found out and knew his host. He arranged for Terry to come to the local Rec for a kick about with my young son. Never forgotten, as was the day at Leyton Orient when he was with us in the crowd as he was not playing.

bobbo

Oh I got a story about terry too.   :-

It was at the Swansea game last of the season that sent us down.
I was about 8 rows back from the front in a mixed section . The taffy in front of me was continually taunting terry throughout the game , this fella had a misshaped flat nose ,looked like he'd done some boxing.
At the end of the game as our players were walking off terry decided to make his way to this cretin in front with terry halfway over the barrier two or three stewards grabbed him luckily for the taffy creep.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Dr Know

Many years ago I went to a Hayes v Nuneaton game , knowing that Terry was with Nuneaton at the time . Unfortunately, when the teams were announced, Terry wasn't playing , but to my surprise I saw him standing on the terrace watching the game , I just had to go over and say hello , and we had a good chat re Fulham , a lovely bloke and yes , a legend !

Mince n Tatties

Top bloke Terry.
Remember the Leyton game.

Alec of good Stock

Quote from: Fernhurst on April 12, 2022, 12:07:55 AM
Gawd knows what year it was but there was I standing in the Hammy End watching us play Northampton.
We were attacking the Putney End. Terry and the rest of the defence had pushed right up to the Halfway line when Northampton played a hopeful ball out to curtail our attack. Their main striker (wish I could remember his name) took it down as Terry closed in for the kill. From then on it was like slow motion as Terry slipped and he was away. Terry gamely tried to catch him but it was no use as he gained the penalty area before slipping the ball under the onrushing keeper.
Terry's reaction as Micky immediately subbed him is embedded in my memory (bout the only thing that is) it was if he had just missed a last minute penalty.
Worst still I do believe we lost 0-1.
That game was the weekend after the 2-1 win at Carlisle and 4 days after the 0-0 draw at Mansfield which secured promotion and so I think that the great man can be forgiven for that one.

Alec of good Stock

Another couple of Terry Angus memories which are both against Barnet.
We won the home game 2-0 and leading up to the game Alan Mullery, ironically one of the club's greatest ever players, was Barnet's manager and had been slagging off the Fulham team in the News or Standard. At the end of the game Terry went up to him and pointed a few things out to him in pretty strong terms. Mullery's love of Fulham understandably died when he was not given the opportunity to replace Alec Stock as Manager at the end of his playing career and Ernie Clay decided that Bobby Campbell was a better option.
The other memory is when players were warming up before the return game at Underhill and half the crowd was Fulham and the chant o f"Terry, Terry, Terry" started and Terry Hurlock waved to the crowd and it was pointed out to him by a couple of the players that the chant was for the other Terry, Terry Hurlock appeared to take it very well.
When using the term legend, its great that it doesn't have to apply to the greatest players technically, but also includes players with character, the heart of a lion and those who fight to the end.
Another lesser known one could be John Evanson who was in and around the Best/Marsh era and who for a couple of seasons was considered to be one of the best free transfers ever.