News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How many more goals are we going to concede from a player running with the ball.

Started by The Swan, April 16, 2022, 07:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

We have conceded a number of goals when a player runs with the ball from inside their penalty area.
It happened last night. We just don't close him down or even tackel him. Whenever I see a player run with the ball like that last nigth I am shouting out for one of our players to chase and put a tackle in. It never happens .
Please step up our way of defending against lone players running with the ball towards our goal.
The Swan

bobby01

Cairney just let him go when he nicked the ball he made absolutely no attempt to get back.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Grassy Noel

Quote from: bobby01 on April 16, 2022, 07:46:55 PM
Cairney just let him go when he nicked the ball he made absolutely no attempt to get back.

Yes that was a big ''leave'' by Cairney. I was a bit sorry to see him taken off though as he distributed quite well.

Woolly Mammoth

Absolutely correct and I noticed Cairney reacted too slowly and was left chasing the slipstream, and Cairney is allegedly the Skipper and nobody was delegated or instructed to close their player down.
Once again a classic example of no leaders, and a poor moment for Cairney, but the nearest player should have closed in and unloaded the opponent, even at the expense of a yellow, not stand off or drift away or not take responsibility.
However i would have kept Cairney on for his creativity and distribution.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 16, 2022, 07:56:38 PM
Absolutely correct and I noticed Cairney reacted too slowly and was left chasing the slipstream, and Cairney is allegedly the Skipper and nobody was delegated or instructed to close their player down.
Once again a classic example of no leaders, and a poor moment for Cairney, but the nearest player should have closed in and unloaded the opponent, even at the expense of a yellow, not stand off or drift away or not take responsibility.

Agreed. It was a poor leave from Cairney but I was disappointed to see him come off for Seri as his distribution was the best on the field and we needed goals at that point.

rebel

Quote from: The Swan on April 16, 2022, 07:42:01 PM
We have conceded a number of goals when a player runs with the ball from inside their penalty area.
It happened last night. We just don't close him down or even tackel him. Whenever I see a player run with the ball like that last nigth I am shouting out for one of our players to chase and put a tackle in. It never happens .
Please step up our way of defending against lone players running with the ball towards our goal.

Silva said that in his BBC interview after the match,

Fulham manager Marco Silva:

"Our first-half was good and in the second-half, we expected a reaction and it was important for us to control the game and we made a mistake.

"We had chances to win. We are at the top of this league for a reason but we lost our focus. We have to improve.

"Back-to-back defeats for the first time this season, that is not a matter of focus. Tonight we needed to be more aggressive. We had to stop attacks with tactical fouls.

"We knew before the match it would be emotional. We knew what would happen with three points. Derby's pressure is much tougher. Our pressure is the nicest pressure.

"But if we want to play in the Premier League, we have to deal with pressure."

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Twig on April 16, 2022, 08:17:01 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 16, 2022, 07:56:38 PM

Agreed. It was a poor leave from Cairney but I was disappointed to see him come off for Seri as his distribution was the best on the field and we needed goals at that point.

Absolutely agree and once Cairney went off i felt our chances of scoring again was rapidly reduced, which is a shame because there was still time to get something out of the game. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

bog

Arthur

Cairney's not quick enough to have caught the young Derby lad once he turned our captain the wrong way. It was Harrison Reed who failed to challenge the player when he could have done - which is unusual, as that's typically what Reed has been doing: getting across to support the defender on that flank when our opponents try to break forward. On this occasion, however, he ran parallel to Derby lad, never getting within 15 yards. This put Williams in the unenviable situation of trying to cover the run of both the player with the ball and the one he was marking. This made the pass inside Williams for the winger to run onto an obvious and none-too-difficult one.

filham

Surprised at Silva openly saying on TV that we should use tactical fouls, I assume that is the latest name for professional fouls and that they still attract yellow or even red cards.

cottage expat

Quote from: The Swan on April 16, 2022, 07:42:01 PM

Agree, our defending in these situations is terrible. Unless we improve markedly we'll be shipping goals by the bucketful in the Premier league

cookieg

Quote from: filham on April 16, 2022, 09:44:40 PM
Surprised at Silva openly saying on TV that we should use tactical fouls, I assume that is the latest name for professional fouls and that they still attract yellow or even red cards.

"Taking one for the team" isn't new. StefJo was pretty good at it. It happens and we need to be more alert to when we may need to do it as cards may follow.

WestSussexWhite

I've been saying since the Sheff United game that we need to be a bit smarter and take bookings for the team

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Arthur on April 16, 2022, 09:40:51 PM
Cairney's not quick enough to have caught the young Derby lad once he turned our captain the wrong way. It was Harrison Reed who failed to challenge the player when he could have done - which is unusual, as that's typically what Reed has been doing: getting across to support the defender on that flank when our opponents try to break forward. On this occasion, however, he ran parallel to Derby lad, never getting within 15 yards. This put Williams in the unenviable situation of trying to cover the run of both the player with the ball and the one he was marking. This made the pass inside Williams for the winger to run onto an obvious and none-too-difficult one.

I don't think Reed was quick enough to close him down, which is why he tried to corral him to the right side. Reed's pace is overrated in my opinion, but he makes up for it with dogged determination and great situational awareness. The issue was he couldn't anticipate TC getting done so easily by the teenager.

It encapsulates the current midfield issue for this group of players, especially in the Premier League. TC is a great player, but needs an extraordinary amount of support from his other midfielders to avoid being a defensive liability. Reed and Seri have physical limitations due to their lack of height and relative size. I can't remember the last time they won a 50/50 when the ball was more than 4 feet off the ground. JO and Chalobah are way too loose with the ball. Their misplaced passes can really stifle the attack. If FZA is sold and Fabio is off, the club might need to replace the entire starting midfield for next season. 

RaySmith

I'm surprised players waltzing through our defence aren't taken out-  frustrating to watch.

HV71

Quote from: RaySmith on April 17, 2022, 05:31:14 AM
I'm surprised players waltzing through our defence aren't taken out-  frustrating to watch.

Yes - think Stefjo -MODA -Master of Dark Arts.
He would have had him

rebel

How often do we see players pull the jersey of the opposition player, at least 3 or 4 times a match, it's a bookable offence, it hasn't discouraged players from doing it. Sometimes it gets punished, sometimes it doesn't, dependent on where on the pitch it is. 

Remember Mitro's run, I think it's Thompson that tried to stop him, by pulling his jersey. He got booked.

H4usuallysitting

If StefJo couldn't catch him - he would of taken his boots off and chucked them at him....

More I see Williams, more I'm convinced we need Tete at right back & Robinson at Left back.... Williams for me is an attacking midfielder..... Not blaming anyone - in Marco I trust

bog

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on April 17, 2022, 08:26:08 AM
If StefJo couldn't catch him - he would of taken his boots off and chucked them at him....

More I see Williams, more I'm convinced we need Tete at right back & Robinson at Left back.... Williams for me is an attacking midfielder..... Not blaming anyone - in Marco I trust

I think Williams is very good player who is under orders to get forward as often as possible.

Arthur

Quote from: WolverineFFC on April 17, 2022, 01:26:22 AM
I don't think Reed was quick enough to close him down, which is why he tried to corral him to the right side. Reed's pace is overrated in my opinion, but he makes up for it with dogged determination and great situational awareness. The issue was he couldn't anticipate TC getting done so easily by the teenager.   

It's all a matter of opinion, of course, and I won't claim that Reed could definitely have prevented the goal, but the image below (which, for some reason, does not upload here) shows the Derby player approaching the half-way line.

https://ibb.co/h9MvNK3

I think Reed needs to be moving towards where the back-pedalling Williams was at the time. Even if he can't cover the ground in time to block the pass, he may push the opponent into releasing the ball sooner and more hurriedly. Even more importantly, perhaps, it helps Williams to focus on the run that his attacker is making. I feel this can only gain and not lose compared to what Reed chose to do.