watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

View from Bournemouth

Started by terryr, April 21, 2022, 06:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryr

Now that we've secured promotion, I've decided to start posting these again. I had some sort of weird feeling I was jinxing things by previewing the opposition's views after we lost a couple, but we still lost against inferior teams when I didn't post.....your head can do some strange things sometime......

Battle Of The Top Two

The win at Coventry on Saturday was the third game in succession that our side have kept a clean sheet (well done Mark Travers). It was a very important result and good to get three goals. Also some credit must be given to our manager Scott Parker with his team selection by bringing Jamal Lowe in to give more support up front to Dominic Solanke and it worked. This will give our team a good boost going into our next game, which is second versus first in the table at Dean Court on Saturday at 3 pm, our visitors are top of the table and now promoted Fulham.

The positions of the two clubs was the same when AFCB visited Craven Cottage at the beginning of December. The game ended honours even in a 1-1 draw. After a goalless first half which was partly down to two first half blocks within seconds of each other from Steve Cook, the crowd were not expecting what was to come immediately from the kickoff for the second half, some probably not yet back in their seats. In a clever training ground move with few passes and then a long ball from Philip Billing which Dominic Solanke already anticipated put the ball into the net, 0-1. Fulham equalised in the 84th minute through Tosin Adarabioyo who scored his first goal for his club and that was how the game ended. With 21 games played by both sides, Fulham were top with 43 points, AFCB 2nd 42 points.

Since that game, Marco Silva's side on their away trips have beaten Reading 0-7, Stoke City 2-3, the two games against Hull City and Cardiff City ending 0-1, Swansea City 1-5, QPR 0-2 and Middlesbrough 0-1. They have drawn with Luton Town and Barnsley 1-1 and lost 1-0 against West Brom and 2-1 against Derby County. At home they have W 6, D 1, L 3.
The table on Saturday night after 41 games, Fulham were top with 83 points, AFCB 2nd 77 points.
Since then Fulham played on Tuesday night at home against Preston and won 3-0.

The last time the two teams met at Dean Court was three years ago in the Premier League on Saturday 20th April 2019. Their caretaker manager was Scott Parker, he had taken over at Fulham on the 28th February from previous manager Claudio Ranieri. Fulham were second from bottom of the Premier League and 10 points away from safety. When Scott Parker brought his Fulham side to Dean Court, they had already been relegated. They won the game 8 minutes into the second half from the penalty spot, the scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic and it was Fulham's first and only win away from home that season. At the end of the season Scott Parker was made permanent manager at Fulham.

In our league games at home against Fulham, AFCB have W 8, D 3, L 3.
All competitions, AFCB have W 13, D 10, L 11.

AFCB Team News
No updates on any new injuries, so hopefully we go into this game with a strong squad.

AFCB Player To Watch
Dominic Solanke the second highest scorer in the Championship with 26 league goals, scored a brace in his last game and has 6 assists. But it will be about the team on the today, winning the midfield battles and our defenders being on top form and not making mistakes. Hope Mark Travers is in his usual top form.

Fulham Team News
Terence Kongolo has been out injured, otherwise they have a strong squad to pick from.

Fulham Player To Watch
Aleksandar Mitrovic the leading scorer in the Championship with 40 league goals in 40 games and has 7 assists. He has smashed the Championship record and still has 4 more games to go. They have a number of players to watch, but Harry Wilson has scored 10 goals and leads with 15 assists.

The Man In Charge
Graham Scott is the referee for this top of the table game.
He has only been the referee once at our games this season and that was the FA Cup game against Boreham Wood.

" Calling this now: 5-1, Solanke unlucky OG defending a free kick followed up with a perfect hat trick (left, right, deflection off the bum) in the correct goal, Christie actually shoots well for once and pegs it in the top corner, and a Lerma header on a corner to cap it off. Mitrovic red carded in the 69th minute for taking his pants off and shaking his knob at Smith following some confrontation that we still struggle to understand, best guess is that he called Smith a knob for diving, Smith feigned ignorance and asked what a "knob" was, followed by Mitrovic showing him exactly what one is.''

" Feels like we've got a few iconic games at theirs on the way to being champions. I've a bad feeling about this.''

''Really need to stop Fulham winning to ensure they give forest a right go midweek.

I would take a point now but it seems that the best way to play Fulham is to attack as Barnsley and Coventry have done. Best attack vs best defence in the league so far and hope it is still like that at 5 o'clock!

Amazingly only two more Saturdays left of the regular season after this game.''

'' come on u reds. its going to be tricky, but just win!!!!''

'' After their match with us, Fulham have Forest, Luton & Sheffield Utd, which are almost 'must win' games for their opponents. If we beat them they could feasibly end the season on 86 points.
That would mean that we need 7 points from Swansea, Blackburn, Forest, Millwall to win the title.''

'' Feels a bit like a free hit this one.
Hopefully having just won promotion some focus will be lost from them, but equally the pressure is now also gone...
How much will some of that squad want to virtually win the title at the expense of their former manager...if they're anything like some recent frequenters of this forum...
Hopefully a bit more of an open game to recent home games.''

'' Fulham will come to play football which will help the quality of the game, not many sides come here and play. So whatever happens it should be entertaining.
My expectation is that we'll see Huddersfield and Forest gain on us, perhaps 3 points on us this weekend, which will add a bit more jeopardy to the run-in. Any better outcome from the weekend than that is a bonus.
If we can somehow maintain the gap through this weekend, that would see us heading towards end-game, but I see that as unlikely.''

" https://www.friendsoffulham.com/for...b0c6de28a33f43943c12cea5af4341d&topic=86062.0

Right..."

"can they count up to 40 ?"

"If we're at our best I feel we can beat Fulham. They are rather unpredictable of late and I hope they think it's all done and dusted for them.''

" am actually feeling pretty confident for this one. Might change my mind at 5 pm saturday mind you !"

" With manager Scott Parker up against the side with which he cut his managerial teeth, he's bidding to extend an unbeaten home record since the 'Cherries' suffered a shock FA Cup loss to Boreham Wood in February (W4, D3). He praised his squad for being clinical and ruthless against Coventry City (W 3-0) last time out, and will demand more of the same against his former employers.
With two wins from their last five league away fixtures (D1, L2) the 'Cottagers' aren't exactly tearing up the record books on the road as the season ends ."

" Very confident about this game, I suspect 4 - 1 to AFCB"

" I hope that we decide to mark Mitrovic at crosses rather than just marking the spaces in the box. So many of his goals seem to come from him being unmarked on the edge of the 6 yard box. I appreciate that his movement must be good in order for him to achieve this, but on may occasions there are defenders each side of him watching the ball whilst he simply taps it in.
Coventry had success home and away by having a strong centre half man mark him - so tight on one occasion that they (McFadzean) beat him to a cross and scored an own goal :).
Nat Phillips MOM."

" Ted Mac used to do exactly the same, move away from your marker then rush in when the ball was crossed."

" I figure we are good for at least a point .... our defending of late has been solid. Five goals relinquished in last eight matches, including five clean sheets. So, might get all three. Either way should be a good one.
I also expect that one of the chasers will unexpectedly stumble to a draw.
So yes, by Saturday evening things could be a bit tighter but still in control.
Tuesday the 26th is the big one, us v. Swansea and Forest at Fulham.
So, ask me on Tuesday evening ........ ;)"

" The way I see it, we desperately need a minimum of 6 points from the next 3 games. Anything less than that, assuming Forest win their next 3 (and I think they will), and the Trees will arrive at DC in a position that a win for them puts them in front with just 1 game remaining. I can't believe the bookies have got us so nailed-on."

" I dont think its that desperate, and I don't think Forest are this super team some are making them out to be."

" For someone who is so good at Last Man Standing, how can you be so wrong about this!! :giggle:
It can go just about any way, but I just don't see any "invincibles" with 3 weeks to go. If anything, Huddersfield has the type of schedule that could see them grab 9 points and get to 82. But, any slip whatsover by the chasing trio will knock it down to the chasing duo. Forest is definitely the legitimate threat, and they are pretty much priced for perfection. Without Davis, they are ripe to stumble somewhere in the next three.
Conundrum .... if we beat Fulham, are we then cheering for Forest to beat them as well? Could put us just three points off the title!!"

" I'm not overly bothered about the title, quite happy to finish second. Dipping into the play-offs would make me very nervous!"

I'll check back later and add as and when

Cobh Fulham Fan

theres nothing written in that long post that wasnt said by some of our own supporters who lacked faith in their team after a couple of recent losses.  Then we went and spoiled it all by winning 3-0 in our last game.

that overly long-winded post is heavy on hope that Fulham will slip up again due to complacency after promotion, and that Forest will also bail them out by beating us at home.   Very little confidence on Bournemouth actually beating us, but rather willing to settle for a draw.

Seems like we are not the only club who suffer with supporters prepared to settle for second best.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I read the title and assumed that it referred to the difficult view of the Isle of Wight from Bournemough
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on April 21, 2022, 11:27:16 PM
theres nothing written in that long post that wasnt said by some of our own supporters who lacked faith in their team after a couple of recent losses.  Then we went and spoiled it all by winning 3-0 in our last game.

that overly long-winded post is heavy on hope that Fulham will slip up again due to complacency after promotion, and that Forest will also bail them out by beating us at home.   Very little confidence on Bournemouth actually beating us, but rather willing to settle for a draw.

Seems like we are not the only club who suffer with supporters prepared to settle for second best.

Except that the poster took the time (for our benefit) to combine and post the whole scenario.
Thank you OP
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

HamsterWheel

I predict Mitro will score. He doesn't like Parker for some reason... possibly got a splinter in his bum from so much bench sitting last season. He was really trying to score in the home fixture and I'll have a small wager on him finding the back of the onion bag this time.

bobby01

🔥 hat trick and because of goal difference the title, would make this an unbelievable weekend.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

blingo

Quote from: HamsterWheel on April 22, 2022, 09:20:42 AM
I predict Mitro will score. He doesn't like Parker for some reason... possibly got a splinter in his bum from so much bench sitting last season. He was really trying to score in the home fixture and I'll have a small wager on him finding the back of the onion bag this time.

1st last and hat trick @9/2 9/2 and 33/1 for Blingo.

fulhamfever

2 away from 100 goals
And also 3 goals for Mitrovic to break Guy Whittingham's record of 42 goals

bog

Quote from: fulhamfever on April 22, 2022, 11:25:29 AM
2 away from 100 goals
And also 3 goals for Mitrovic to break Guy Whittingham's record of 42 goals

And equal Frank Newton's 90 year old record for a season.

092.gif

rebel

Bournemouth need to win, with Notts Forest closing in on them.

Cobh Fulham Fan

Yes they do, and the op also suggested that teams which had went at Fulham from the start of games seemed to be the ones that got results. So perhaps thats what we might expect from them tomorrow.  will be an exciting game!

Count Flapula

Quote from: Cobh Fulham Fan on April 22, 2022, 02:28:04 PM
Yes they do, and the op also suggested that teams which had went at Fulham from the start of games seemed to be the ones that got results. So perhaps thats what we might expect from them tomorrow.  will be an exciting game!

A few teams that went at Fulham from the off have got results; many more have subsequently left the space in behind them - suiting us down to the ground - and gone on to be thumped by a large margin. Bring it on!