watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army- A debut of some note

Started by bog, May 06, 2022, 03:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

August 27th 1968. I was sitting doing nothing on a week off when I suddenly decided to jump in me souped up Ford Anglia 105E and drive from Hanwell up to Sheffield as you do. This to see us play them Blades. Upon arrival I bought a local paper to read about the game. Our team was listed with the sub as 'Macdonald'. Who on earth was he I wondered. We lost 1-0 (Colin Addison) but this Macdonald came on with about 20mins to go. The first thing I noticed was his pace as he looked very lively. We all know what was to commence shortly. His first full home game was a Friday night when he scored the winner in a 1-0 win v Palace. He could have scored four such was his talent. I was broken hearted when he was sold.  :016:

Was anyone at Bramall Lane that long gone night? 

092.gif       

Ronnief

No, but I watched him play for the Reserves at Craven Cottage where one of his shots hit the railings in front of the cottage and burst. He was playing as a full back. He converted into a striker and I was so impressed that I wrote to the Manager Vic Buckingham, about how impressed I was with SuperMac.
I got no reply and MacDonald was sold. I've never written to the club about players since then.  092.gif

Rupert

Quote from: Ronnief on May 06, 2022, 03:43:45 PM
No, but I watched him play for the Reserves at Craven Cottage where one of his shots hit the railings in front of the cottage and burst. He was playing as a full back. He converted into a striker and I was so impressed that I wrote to the Manager Vic Buckingham, about how impressed I was with SuperMac.
I got no reply and MacDonald was sold. I've never written to the club about players since then.  092.gif

I can think of a fair few you could have written to the club about since then.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

bog

I thought Bobby Robson was his manager?

Ronnief

Quote from: bog on May 06, 2022, 04:20:53 PM

I thought Bobby Robson was his manager?

Definitely Vic Buckingham I wrote too. I think Robson took over shortly after and Macdonald left then. With Clarke, MacDonald, Saha and Mitro I think MacDonald was really my favourite.