Main Menu

Simon Davies returning to the Wales Squad

Started by os5889, January 03, 2011, 05:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_of_wales/9334484.stm

Simon Davies & Robbie Savage may win Wales recalls

Simon Davies and Robbie Savage have won 97 Wales caps between them
New Wales boss Gary Speed may recall experienced midfield duo Simon Davies and Robbie Savage for his first Euro qualifier against England in March.
Davies and Savage have retired from international football but Speed has had communication with both players.
Asked if he thought Davies would come back, Speed said: "I don't know but I hope so. He's going to have a think."
Speed also said captain Craig Bellamy will miss the game against the Republic of Ireland in the Carling Nations Cup.
The former Wales captain succeeded John Toshack as the permanent Welsh manager last month and his first game in charge is the tournament opener with the Irish on 8 February.
And Speed expects young pair Aaron Ramsey and Jack Collison to be fully fit after leg and knee surgery respectively for the Dublin clash to line-up in a Wales midfield that could also include Joe Ledley, Gareth Bale, David Edwards and Andy King.
But the new Wales manager may have two Wales old heads in his squad after revealing Fulham playmaker Davies and Derby County battler Savage could be in line for an international return.
Speed played alongside Davies and Savage in Wales' midfield in their memorable 2004 European qualification campaign before Wales lost a two-legged play-off to Russia for a place in the finals in Portugal.

Especially with Wales which is a really young squad and maybe some of them are a bit quiet and not so many personalities in there. So even to have Sav there might be worth doing
Wales manager Gary Speed
Speed started a trend of senior Welshmen when Wales' most-capped outfield player retired from international football after his 85th cap when the then boss Mark Hughes left to manage Blackburn Rovers in the Premier League in October 2004.
Davies was one in that long line of established internationals that quit Wales duty in Toshack's six-year tenure when the 58-times capped midfielder announced his decision in August 2010.
But the 31-year-old, who retired to elongate his club career after struggling with a foot injury for 18 months, is now considering Speed's request to come back.
"I was a player that retired from international football," Speed told Sky Sports.
"I don't have any regrets in my career but if there was one thing I would change, I wouldn't have retired from international football when I did."
"I made that decision to retire, it was a personal decision and it is the biggest decision I made as a footballer. Looking back I'd have kept going.
"But I have spoken to Simon and he's going to have a think about."
Savage also quit under Toshack after he and the veteran boss publicly fell-out when Savage was left out of a Wales squad, while still playing in the Premier League for Blackburn, in March 2005.
But the 36-year-old has previously admitted his regret of the "hasty" decision to call time on his country and now hopes the new manager will give him a call.
"He text me to say if I need a holding midfielder against England then give me a shout," said Speed.
"He is playing well at Derby and more than anything he is a character - and sometimes people like him are worth their weight in gold in the dressing room.
"Especially with Wales which is a really young squad and maybe some of them are a bit quiet and not so many personalities in there.
"So even to have Sav there might be worth doing."
And Wales midfielder Ledley has called on West Ham United defender Danny Gabbidon to rethink his international retirement.
The 31-year-old centre-back quit in October after winning 43 caps as he has suffered with calf, groin and hamstring problems.
But Ledley told his Twitter site: "I think my best mate in football Danny Gabbidon should come out of retirement and play for Wales. We need him."
Star striker Bellamy has offered to step down from the Wales captaincy as he admits he will not be able to make every Wales game as he tries to manage his ongoing knee problem.
And Speed has confirmed Cardiff City's on-loan forward will miss their match in Ireland on 8 February because Bellamy struggles to play two matches in a week - and he is wanted by Bluebirds boss Dave Jones for their south Wales derby on 6 February.
"We know with his injuries, we have to use him sparingly," said Speed.
"He is a big player but we are realistic enough to know he is not going to play every game.
"Our first friendly is in Dublin in February on the Tuesday but it is Cardiff v Swansea on the Sunday so Craig is not going to play on the Tuesday.
"We know that now because of his injuries and history, he won't play. We're sensible enough.
"But by the time that England game comes along, he'll be fully fit and raring to go."

os5889

Its worth noting that his last game for Wales was March 2010 and since then he has been fantastic and arguably our best player.

Even myself as a very passionate welshman am not too happy about this as I wouldn't want to see his injuries to reappear or form to drop.

This can only be bad for Fulham right if it is true??

cebu

Davies should really focus now on Fulham and stick by his decision to retire from the Welsh team. No more injuries, please!

SmithyFFC

Doing nothing of note this season, should concentrate on his form for us.
FTID

White Noise

That foot injury last season was very serious and almost a career ending one. He would be mad to risk that coming back, not to mention the fact that Fulham did a lot for him during that time and then rewarded him with an amazingly long contract extension.

MJG

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on January 03, 2011, 07:17:05 PM
You know what I really do think his name is on the team sheet first no matter how his form is.
Hughes knows him and its clear he trusts him,but lets be honest he should have been dropped at some stage this season.

finnster01

Quote from: os5889 on January 03, 2011, 05:57:35 PM
Even myself as a very passionate welshman...
Passionate and Welshman in the same sentence Mr Owen?  :yellow:

Only joking. The Welsh are top shelf. Great sense of humor and great people for a beer and a chant or twelve. Somebody please tell Mr Hughes. He needs a bit of lightening up.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

SmithyFFC

Quote from: MJG on January 03, 2011, 08:11:03 PM
You know what I really do think his name is on the team sheet first no matter how his form is.
Hughes knows him and its clear he trusts him,but lets be honest he should have been dropped at some stage this season.
Exactly, since he scored against United what has he done? I'd like to know how many assists he has this season.
FTID

finnster01

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on January 03, 2011, 08:44:47 PM
Quote from: MJG on January 03, 2011, 08:11:03 PM
Exactly, since he scored against United what has he done? I'd like to know how many assists he has this season.
In the Prem, he has two assists which given the fact we have only scored 19 goals is over 20% of the total.

Which as sad as it sounds equals joint top of the assists table for Fulham which is a whole other trhread...

finnster01