watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Summer roster overhaul: Lots to do

Started by Denver Fulham, May 07, 2022, 04:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

Let us get the back 6 looking solid as a unit.
I would imagine CB CDM GK positions are a priority.
It may only take 2/3 additions who can master the defence and communicate with Leadership qualities and character that could change the defence from looking fragile and milky to solid and uncompromising with more height and physicality.
More creativity in midfield with pace on the flanks and more options up front.
Overall experience is important especially in key positions, but i would not be adverse to giving the odd academy player an opportunity if they show they have the ability and mental strength, and mental strength goes for every player.
Hopefully deals can be done early enough to help the management and coaches prepare and organise and condition for the new season which will be no picnic.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Quote from: Twig on May 07, 2022, 08:24:58 PM
Quote from: filham on May 07, 2022, 07:07:03 PM
I don't disagree with anything you say except that perhaps you are making the mistake we made  three years ago by bringing too many new players in and in so doing are losing some team spirit. Also half a dozen new players would mean spreading the transfer kitty thinly and we would again have to settle for players not quite up to the required standard and purchased late on transfer deadline day.
I would rathe limit the number of new signings and spend big to ensure we are improving the team.

Unfortunately to start we have to spend big money on replacements for Ream and Carvalho just to keep the team at the level it is at now. After that we may find there is only available money for a couple more top players and I would be looking for Areola and a wide left player.

I would think we need to raise funds in the transfer kitty by moving on players whom are unlikely to make appearances next season including Kongolo, Mawson, Onomah, Chalobah, Gazzaniga and Cavaleiro

I don't know how often I have to say this but moving on players like those you list does not necessarily raise funds for the transfer kitty.  You need to know how by much each players' original purchase fee has so far been depreciated and offset it against what we can sell that player for.  If the difference is positive then that adds to the kitty, but if it's negative then it detracts from the kitty. 

If we buy a player for £10m then decide they aren't cutting it a couple of years later and flog them for a huge loss then the distress sale price does not go into a kitty, it goes towards offsetting that part of the purchase price which still remains to be depreciated on the books.
Oh dear that is depressing, makes me think we must have a negative transfer kitty and really we can't afford any good new players.
Perhaps our top priority is a top really creative accountant.

toshes mate

The most depressing part of the FFC picture has been the times when seasoned football professionals have warned the Club that 'they know not what they do'.   An exasperated head coach warning that a computer guy is recruiting players ... we are not a railway station ... the head coach has nothing to do with recruitment ... the computer guy wants to have a say in selecting the team ...  the computer guy has been sacked ... not even mentioning the recruitment mistakes of which there were far too many.

We can't say we weren't warned.   Some listened but most didn't. 

Shahid eventually took control back and we have seen the results of that.  Now we must improve performance whilst living on what we can afford.   It's surprising how many teams do better with those parameters than those who throw money around like there is no tomorrow.   

I am more optimistic now than I have been in the Khan era.   For the first time we have a chance to be professional in all matters and do things properly and well and with the right spirit.     

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: toshes mate on May 09, 2022, 11:23:16 AM
The most depressing part of the FFC picture has been the times when seasoned football professionals have warned the Club that 'they know not what they do'.   An exasperated head coach warning that a computer guy is recruiting players ... we are not a railway station ... the head coach has nothing to do with recruitment ... the computer guy wants to have a say in selecting the team ...  the computer guy has been sacked ... not even mentioning the recruitment mistakes of which there were far too many.

Shahid eventually took control back and we have seen the results of that.  Now we must improve performance whilst living on what we can afford.   It's surprising how many teams do better with those parameters than those who throw money around like there is no tomorrow.   

I am more optimistic now than I have been in the Khan era.   For the first time we have a chance to be professional in all matters and do things properly and well and with the right spirit.     

I do not think anyone will disagree with your reasoning which is extremely rational, and i hope the club mirror your thoughts and deductions and analysis with the immortal word 'Professional' ringing in their ears.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ZM15

My opinion:
Players I want at the club but likely will be impossible to get:
- Martin Terrier.
- Joe Gomez.
- Sergio Arribas.
- Antonio Blanco.
- Wan Bissaka.

Solid alternatives that won't cost much:
- Pablo Mari.
- Ben Brereton.
- Scott McKenna.

For goalkeeper I think Walter Benetiz is overlooked. Great with his feet and a very solid shot stopper.

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 09, 2022, 12:09:18 PM

I do not think anyone will disagree with your reasoning which is extremely rational, and i hope the club mirror your thoughts and deductions and analysis with the immortal word 'Professional' ringing in their ears.
I hope the days of computer selection of players has long gone and that Silva is now given the final word.
Having said that has Silva demonstrated that he has a good eye for players. I am thinking that he must have been responsible for bringing both Quine and Chalobah from Watford, neither have been able to command a place in the Fulham team.

Denver Fulham

Quote from: filham on May 09, 2022, 07:20:45 PM

I hope the days of computer selection of players has long gone and that Silva is now given the final word.
Having said that has Silva demonstrated that he has a good eye for players. I am thinking that he must have been responsible for bringing both Quine and Chalobah from Watford, neither have been able to command a place in the Fulham team.

I would hope the process continues to be something like "Silva expresses the type of players he wants to management, Tony and Co. crunch the data and film and provide Marco with some options, Marco reviews and helps decide who he'd like."

Maybe there's a one-off situation where Marco knows a player, but it's not reasonable to think a modern-day manager is able to follow 15+ leagues and know who to target. That's the whole point of (good) data -- so you can sift through hundreds of options quickly and put effort into the final handful.

Twig

Yes, the Quinta and Chalobah signing does worry me a tad.

rebel

Quote from: Twig on May 09, 2022, 08:04:44 PM

Chalobah was Marco's project, a bit like Parker and Onomah.

Classic94

Assuming Fabri, Bryan, Christie, Hector, Mawson, Onomah, Francois, Carvalho and Knockaert will all be off:

GK: [Signing], Rodak, Gazzaniga

RB: Tete, [Signing]

LB: [Signing], Robinson

CB: Tosin, [Signing], [Signing], Ream, Kongolo

DM: [Signing], Reed, Chalobah

CM: [Signing], TC, Seri

RW: Wilson, BDR, Cavaleiro

LW: Solomon, Kebano

CF: Mitrovic, [Signing], Muniz, Stansfield

9 needed, including Solomon. The CF I list would ideally be versatile enough to cover other attacking positions.

Porthogs FC

Quote from: Classic94 on May 09, 2022, 08:39:24 PM
Assuming Fabri, Bryan, Christie, Hector, Mawson, Onomah, Francois, Carvalho and Knockaert will all be off:

9 needed, including Solomon. The CF I list would ideally be versatile enough to cover other attacking positions.

Seeming likely that Rodak is off if he's not starting, so 2 GK needed. Loan out Muniz, he needs game time. Sell Cav. Get a CF that can cover LW/RW.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: rebel on May 09, 2022, 08:07:26 PM

Yes and No.

I suspect Chalobah was a last minute addition due to FZA's late departure. Not sure if he was given the entire offseason to prepare for FZA's departure that Chalobah would have been his choice. That late in the window he needed a physical, central midfield player and Chalobah was someone he knew and could get in the squad.

We Are Premier League

Assuming Fabri, Rodak, Christie, Mawson, Onomah, Francois, Zambo, Carvalho and Knockaert will all be off:

GK: [Henderson], Gazzaniga

RB: Tete, [Aina]

LB: Robinson , Bryan

CB: Tosin, [Signing], Hector, Ream, Kongolo

DM: [Matic], Reed, Chalobah

CM: TC, Seri

RW: Wilson, Cavaleiro

LW: [Solomon], Kebano

CF/ACM Mitrovic, [Signing], [Twine], Muniz, BDR

Solomon, Matic, Aina, Henderson and Twine would be a good and cheap start, we can then spend more on a CB and ACM.

Bokonon

How much should we pull in from the U-23s and U-18s? The teams have done well for quite a while, and I know this is the Premier League, but they have been playing Premier League prospects.

Cookie6262

I make that 27 and we need a 25 man squad so that would be 7 new signings plus if Larkeche can step up as back up LB and Solomon is done that's 5 more signings needed which sounds about right

JimOG

Quote from: WolverineFFC on May 09, 2022, 11:24:57 PM

Yes and No.

I suspect Chalobah was a last minute addition due to FZA's late departure. Not sure if he was given the entire offseason to prepare for FZA's departure that Chalobah would have been his choice. That late in the window he needed a physical, central midfield player and Chalobah was someone he knew and could get in the squad.

And was he basing it on the Chalobah he knew before injuries? In fairness Chalobah himself admitted he had no pe-season, then he missed a chunk of time in the autumn with a calf injury. I'd keep him and see what he looks like in August after a proper chance to prepare. His debut v Brum was very encouraging

toshes mate

The only part of a recruitment process and policy that really needs stating here is that buying a potential problem is almost infinitely easier than selling one.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: JimOG on May 10, 2022, 09:39:40 AM
Quote from: WolverineFFC on May 09, 2022, 11:24:57 PM

Yes and No.

And was he basing it on the Chalobah he knew before injuries? In fairness Chalobah himself admitted he had no pe-season, then he missed a chunk of time in the autumn with a calf injury. I'd keep him and see what he looks like in August after a proper chance to prepare. His debut v Brum was very encouraging

Chalobah is a lot like Kongolo to me. Players you know have been quality, Premier level players. The question is if injuries have taken that level of performance away permanently. If the manager sees enough evidence in training that there may be potential for them to regain their top form, then I agree, you keep them and see how it goes.

Jules

Quote from: Porthogs FC on May 09, 2022, 09:54:32 PM

Seeming likely that Rodak is off if he's not starting, so 2 GK needed. Loan out Muniz, he needs game time. Sell Cav. Get a CF that can cover LW/RW.
Agree, and would add to get Kongolo fit (somehow) and loan him out as well as he won't get game time with us in the prem

Classic94

Quote from: Jules on May 10, 2022, 11:34:34 AM
Quote from: Porthogs FC on May 09, 2022, 09:54:32 PM

Agree, and would add to get Kongolo fit (somehow) and loan him out as well as he won't get game time with us in the prem

I can see the argument for Cav, Kongolo and Muniz to be offloaded/loaned, but could be worth keeping them about with the 5 sub rule in the PL?