watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

R.I.P Dennis Waterman

Started by Donnie Lonegan, May 08, 2022, 04:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakeshott

He was a supporter in "Minder", though sometimes went to Chelsea (not unknown when I was young and football was affordable for folk on average incomes).

Not many star in three long-running series.

Will be much missed.

SP

Genuinely gutted, loved his work.

Mince n Tatties

Sad News indeed...His Fulham pennant on his wall in "Minder"..Super in all he was in.  RIP Dennis.

RaySmith

Quote from: Oakeshott on May 08, 2022, 04:52:36 PM
He was a supporter in "Minder", though sometimes went to Chelsea (not unknown when I was young and football was affordable for folk on average incomes).

Not many star in three long-running series.

Will be much missed.

Me and my mates often went to Chelsea and Fulham on alternate weeks - there wasn't the same animosity, or much difference in status,  between the two clubs in those days.

Yes, a top actor and  household name, who  starred some classic British TV series, that defined  an era.

RIP

rebel

I was walking through Maida Vale, 'minding' my own business, stumbled across a scene from Minder being filmed, I think it was at a cafe.
Yep, part of 'popular culture' for some. RIP.                   

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I used to 'drink with him' frequently in The Turks Head, St Margarets (Twickenham) in the late 70's - early 80's
Although not in his inner circle.
Amonst his mates was the actor who had a large "grissly' face who starred in a couple of serious, I can't remember his name.
The 'Turks' was a wonderful old pub, I had my stag night there, in the Winchester Hall.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Oakeshott

"Me and my mates often went to Chelsea and Fulham on alternate weeks"

When I did, the teams had arguably the two best keepers in the country in Tony Macedo and Peter Bonetti.

Dodgin

Sad news, his series New Tricks is a regular on the Drama channel now. A good actor. I recall his late elder brother Peter, who was European and welterweight champion back in the 50s

Logicalman

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on May 08, 2022, 06:21:47 PM
I used to 'drink with him' frequently in The Turks Head, St Margarets (Twickenham) in the late 70's - early 80's
Amonst his mates was the actor who had a large "grissly' face who starred in a couple of serious, I can't remember his name.
The 'Turks' was a wonderful old pub, I had my stag night there, in the Winchester Hall.

Reger,
you're not thinking about this 'grizzly' character from the Sweeney are you?

Nick Brimble
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Woolly Mammoth

Yes Dennis Waterman was a popular English actor in so many different English TV Series.
Did he also play Just William when he was a young lad.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 08, 2022, 07:15:11 PM
Yes Dennis Waterman was a popular English actor in so many different English TV Series.
Did he also play Just William when he was a young lad.

He did indeed Woolly...

HV71

Loved him in Minder with George . Very sad . RIP

ron

I remember a scene from 'Minder' where he challenges a possible interloper;

McCann; "Oi, what's your game?"
Rather camp interloper; "Hi, I'm Andy".
McCann; "I'm a bit tasty meself..."

Pure gold. RIP Dennis.

filham

Quote from: Oakeshott on May 08, 2022, 06:35:57 PM
"Me and my mates often went to Chelsea and Fulham on alternate weeks"

When I did, the teams had arguably the two best keepers in the country in Tony Macedo and Peter Bonetti.
I did the same but a little ahead of you but when the keepers were, I think, Harry Medhurst and Ted Hinton, also Arsenal had just snatched Ronnie Rooke from us and Tommy Lawton was center forward for Chelsea.
Dennis Waterman was a great character who gave hours of pleasure on the TV Thank you Dennis.

bobbo

Very sad news , he was a very professional actor he used a pub near Wooburn green the chequers I saw him in there on an odd occasion I visited , makes those minder repeats on sky all the more precious.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Andy S

RIP Dennis although nit the best actor I've ever seen he made a living being a tv actor and quite a good one. He worked hard and played some parts that fitted him. I'm sad that he went so early he had more work in him. He found some good scripts that suited him well and wasn't a bad singer either

davew

Quote from: HV71 on May 08, 2022, 07:36:46 PM
Loved him in Minder with George . Very sad . RIP
+1, just finished watching all of the Minder programs ever made. Great Cockney actor!! RIP
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

WhiteJC

Blawarmy

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on May 08, 2022, 06:21:47 PM
Didn't some of the England rugby team used to drink in there.  I'm sure I read about that somewhere?