watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

37 Years Ago Today.

Started by Mince n Tatties, May 11, 2022, 03:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Since the terrible fire at Bradford claimed the lives of 56 people....Let's hope we never have to witness anything like it
again at a football match.

bencher

bill taylors apprentice

As I now live in the city of Lincoln I can say it's very much remembered here.

Lifelong Lincoln City fans Bill Stacey and Jim West tragically lost their lives that day along with 54 Bradford City supporters.

filham

Terrible disaster, what was the cause of the fire.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: filham on May 11, 2022, 04:06:30 PM
Terrible disaster, what was the cause of the fire.

Someone dropped a cigarette through the slats of the wooden floor,there was rubbish piled up under the stand,which caught fire.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: bencher on May 11, 2022, 03:55:24 PM
Or anywhere else...

Of course...
But this is a football forum,and the Bradford fire is football  related.

bobbo

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on May 11, 2022, 03:48:45 PM
Since the terrible fire at Bradford claimed the lives of 56 people....Let's hope we never have to witness anything like it
yes I remember it well . I've only ever sat in our old stand once many years back but as I remember a lot of that is wood .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Southcoastffc

Quote from: bobbo on May 11, 2022, 04:26:46 PM
yes I remember it well . I've only ever sat in our old stand once many years back but as I remember a lot of that is wood .
Good point.  And is my memory playing tricks or do I correctly recall that when we were in the Europa Cup, flares emanated from the JH stand?  We've certainly seen flares several times this year in the Putney end.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Jamie88

Quote from: Southcoastffc on May 11, 2022, 04:54:24 PM
Quote from: bobbo on May 11, 2022, 04:26:46 PM
Good point.  And is my memory playing tricks or do I correctly recall that when we were in the Europa Cup, flares emanated from the JH stand?  We've certainly seen flares several times this year in the Putney end.

Yes I seem to remember smoke coming out from within the Wisla Krakow fans

Andy S

I have watched the footage lots of times. The fire service use it to show how a fire is spread. I believe a new sprinkler system was fitted in the Johnny Haynes stand after the Bradford fire

SG

I seem to remember the deaths were caused by the exit gates being locked so the unfortunate fans had nowhere to go once in the depths of the stand. Loads of others were able to escape onto the pitch. Will never forget the footage

Holders

Quote from: SG on May 11, 2022, 09:16:54 PM
I seem to remember the deaths were caused by the exit gates being locked so the unfortunate fans had nowhere to go once in the depths of the stand. Loads of others were able to escape onto the pitch. Will never forget the footage

Is that so? I saw it on TV and, though it took hold very fast, one wondered how anyone could not have got out. 
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

The rubbish had been allowed to accumulate over years, and were you still allowed to smoke in grounds?

I remember that there was a fair bit of controversy around it, with people being unable to escape, but it was all swept under the carpet, as had earlier football ground disasters, such as  at Ibrox in 1971, where 66 died and over 200 injured exiting down the steps of the stadium , which collapsed, and which had been presaged by an earlier similar  disaster there in 1902, with 25  fatalities, but nothing had been done.