watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff - 12/05/22...

Started by WhiteJC, May 12, 2022, 12:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Bolton Wanderers star hints at what immediate future might hold amidst Fulham and Cardiff interest

Bolton Wanderers star Oladapo Afolayan has suggested to The Bolton News that he would like to play higher-level football with the Trotters in the future.

The exciting winger, who netted 12 goals and provided a further eights assists in 44 League One outings, emerged as one of the division's brightest talents, posing a real threat from the left wing.

His starring performances in Bolton colours attracted the attention of soon-to-be Premier League club Fulham, whilst Cardiff City are also an interested party.

Speaking to The Bolton News about what the ambition will be next season, the 24-year-old said: "I said in one of my first interviews at Bolton that absolutely everything is here.

"It is just about getting things together on the pitch, working together, and I think we're starting to do that.

"Promotion is exactly what our aim is. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that.

"I think that any club in this league should be targeting promotion – it's what you have to do.

"We want to be playing in the Championship and the Premier League and especially for me as a player that is that I look up to and what I want to do with this club."

The verdict

Afolayan has been an influential part of Bolton's attack this season, with his excellent dribbling ability and end-product causing all sorts of havoc for League One defences.

These latest comments will certainly act as a boost for Bolton fans, with the young winger showcasing that he has what it takes to ply his trade in the Championship.

The Trotters are moving in the right direction, and after a season of settling back into the third-tier, and showing promising signs, all eyes will be focused on achieving something special next time out.

Keeping a player like Afolayan would represent a huge single of intent from the club, especially if interest continues to accumulate.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/bolton-wanderers-star-hints-at-what-immediate-future-might-hold-amidst-fulham-and-cardiff-interest/

WhiteJC

0.94 goals per 90: The Fulham player who is likely to attract transfer interest this summer

There is no doubt that Fulham were the dominant side in the Sky Bet Championship this season.

Finishing the campaign as the Champions, the Cottagers scored an impressive 106 goals – 32 more than second-placed AFC Bournemouth.

Marco Silva's side will now be looking forward to next season in the Premier League and planning to strengthen their squad during the summer, but first and foremost, they must keep hold of their star player – Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The Serbian striker had a record-breaking season in the Championship in 21/22, which won't have gone unnoticed.

Here, we've looked at the numbers behind Mitrovic's phenomenal campaign.

What do the stats say?

The most obvious place to start with Mitrovic is his goals – which broke the Championship goal record in 2021/22.

The previous record had been set by Ivan Toney last season, with 31 goals, but Mitrovic surpassed this number in February, with three months of the season remaining.

In the end, Mitrovic would go on to score an astonishing 43 league goals in 44 Championship appearances – breaking then Portsmouth's Guy Whittingham's second-tier record from back in 1992/93.

In doing this, Mitrovic overperformed his expected goals (xG), too.

Fulham were a creative side and thus Mitrovic had plenty of opportunities this season, resulting in an xG of 0.8 per 90.

The chances the Serbian got is further evidenced by the 3.94 shots he took per 90.

47.8% of these shots were on target, which, perhaps, helped Mitrovic overperform his expected goals and actually score 0.94 goals per 90 on average in the second tier this season.

Mitrovic's fine form received plaudits from many across the season, and earned the 27-year-old a very impressive WhoScored rating of 7.72 for the campaign.

All things considered then, it was an absolutely superb season for Aleksandar Mitrovic and Fulham will certainly hope no clubs come knocking for his services this summer.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/0-94-goals-per-90-the-fulham-player-who-is-likely-to-have-attract-transfer-interest-this-summer/

WhiteJC

Coventry City casting eyes over ex-Fulham left-back Lesley Duru

Coventry City have reportedly handed former Fulham youngster Lesley Duru a trial, with the left-back featuring for the Sky Blues' U23s against Ipswich Town.

Coventry City will have their eyes firmly set on the summer transfer window after a strong season in the Championship. Mark Robins won't be resting on his laurels though, knowing full well that the Sky Blues must continue to strengthen where possible.

This time of year can be fruitful for clubs trying to work on a smaller budget, with a host of trialists often appearing for U23s sides and in senior training sessions in a bid to earn deals ahead of the new season. And now, as per Coventry Live, Coventry City have their eye on one trialist.

It is claimed that young left-back Duru has linked up with the Championship club on trial.

The Amsterdam-born 20-year-old featured for Coventry City's youngsters against Ipswich Town U23s in their Professional Development League play-off semi-final.

The report states Duru is currently on the books with Fulham and is set to be released. However, the Cottagers actually let Duru go last summer, as confirmed on their retained list last June. Since then, Duru has been playing non-league football with the likes of Glebe FC, Chesham and Sevenoaks.

Smart in the market...

Coventry City's clever use of the transfer market over the past few seasons has helped put them in their current position, and the Sky Blues won't be looking to unnecessary risks now.

Moves for players like Duru can be low-risk and high reward, so if he can impress on trial, it could be a deal worth looking into.

Given his experience of playing in Fulham's academy, he could be a shrewd addition to the club's U23s side, where he would likely find much of his game time while pushing to make a senior breakthrough.

https://the72.co.uk/272833/coventry-city-casting-eyes-over-ex-fulham-left-back-lesley-duru/

WhiteJC

Emerging report shares Klopp's stance on Neco Williams' Liverpool future as Fulham transfer talk lingers

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is set to sanction Neco Williams permanent exit from Anfield this summer, with Fulham keen on signing the Welshman, reports 90min.

Williams, 21, joined Fulham on loan from Liverpool in January and immediately shone.

The right-back slotted straight into Marco Silva's starting XI, featuring 14 times in the Championship whilst scoring twice and assisting twice to help the Londoners claim the Championship crown.

There's been plenty of reports linking Williams with a permanent move to Craven Cottage this summer.

Now, an emerging report from 90min has clarified the situation – they say that Klopp is willing to offload Williams this summer as he plots a move for Calvin Ramsey to provide back-up for Trent Alexander Arnold at right-back.

90min also goes on to state that both Fulham and Williams are keen to see his stay in London made permanent.

Fulham's summer ahead...

Fulham fans will obviously be weary of their team plummeting back down into the Championship at first time of asking.

But with Silva at the helm, Fulham look a much more solid unit than before. What's more is that the club are being linked with more sustainable transfers than before, with the Londoners looking at investing in a number of talented youngsters like Williams.

His permanent arrival at Craven Cottage would certainly be a statement of intent from Fulham, though expect Liverpool to slap a lofty price tag on the Welshman, as Klopp's side so often do with their players.

https://the72.co.uk/272836/emerging-report-shares-klopps-stance-on-neco-williams-liverpool-future-as-fulham-transfer-talk-lingers/

WhiteJC

Fulham keeping tabs on 32-year-old ahead of potential summer transfer approach

Championship outfit Fulham are thought to be monitoring Watford midfielder Moussa Sissoko as they weigh up a potential move for the Frenchman during the summer window, according to Jeunes Footeux.

The 32-year-old has been one of the first names on the teamsheet for the Hornets this term, recording 32 Premier League appearances but has failed to keep them afloat in the division with their relegation being confirmed earlier this month.

The Cottagers, on the other hand, are set to replace them next season after being crowned champions of the second tier and Marco Silva is all but certain to have a larger transfer budget at his disposal because of that.

Even with their promotion, it looks as though Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa will be exiting Craven Cottage on a permanent basis in the coming months with his current loan side Napoli preparing to recruit him for the long term.

Although he has spent the vast majority of the campaign in Italy, the Cameroonian's departure may still leave a void in the west London side's squad and Silva may want to move for a replacement to provide more competition and give his side the best possible opportunity of remaining afloat at the top level.

Sissoko could be the man to replace him with the Cottagers thought to be monitoring his situation, though they may have to fork out a fee for his services with his contract at Vicarage Road not expiring until 2023.

Jeunes Footeux also believe a return to France is a potential option at this stage too, though Silva's side may be in pole position to win his signature if he wants to remain in England.

The Verdict:

Considering the 32-year-old was playing for Tottenham Hotspur not so long ago, he certainly has the pedigree to make the Cottagers a top-tier club for the long term but his arrival won't guarantee their survival, as the Hornets' fortunes have shown.

Harrison Reed, Nathaniel Chalobah, Jean Michael Seri and Tom Cairney are all good options with Josh Onomah in the mix as well – but it remains to be seen whether they should recruit Frenchman Sissoko.

Even though many of their midfielders are at the peak of their careers at this stage, it could be argued that they should be pursuing a younger alternative who could end up becoming a long-serving player at Craven Cottage.

At 32, Sissoko is unlikely to be sticking around too long especially if a move back to France is tempting at some point, so looking at the longer-term may not be the worst idea as they look to recruit the players to keep them in the division for years to come.

In fairness though, they won't have a bottomless pit of money to spend in the coming months and with other areas to strengthen including their goalkeeping department, their defence and the forward area, they will need to limit their spending on individual players.

They will also need an advanced midfielder to come in and fill the void that Fabio Carvalho will leave, potentially needing to spend a sizeable fee to recruit an adequate replacement.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-keeping-tabs-on-32-year-old-ahead-of-potential-summer-transfer-approach/

WhiteJC

"On the pitch it is a good move" – Fulham fan pundit reacts to links with Man United's Jesse Lingard

This article is part of Football League World's 'Terrace Talk' series, which provides personal opinions from our FLW Fan Pundits regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

Manchester United midfielder Jesse Lingard has been surprisingly linked with a move to second-tier Champions Fulham in recent days.

The news emerged when reported by reporter Rudy Galetti, who stated that the Cottagers are monitoring Lingard's situation ahead of the summer.

The 29-year-old's contract is due to expire at Old Trafford at the end of the season, and thus, he will be available on a free transfer when the next window opens.

Considering the above, we thought we'd ask FLW's Fulham fan pundit Matt Baldwin for his thoughts on the club being linked with a move for Lingard.

"The signing of Lingard, I would be okay with," Matt told FLW.

"I think whilst he may have a few attitude problems as it were and as he has shown recently with Man United, you are brining in the Lingard brand and the brother and whether or not that's gonna be an off-the-field issue, we have to deal with.

"I think on the pitch he's shown that he can do something, especially with his time at West Ham and even brief spells at Man United.

"I think he still has something to offer and for a team like Fulham looking to establish themselves in the Premier League, I think he will do well."

Matt continued: "I think the main reason is we have to find someone to fill the Fabio Carvalho role value role as a sort of creative number 10/second striker and I think playing off someone like Mitrovic, I think he does come across as the perfect player."

"Especially if we can sort of play similar to what West Ham we're doing when he was when he was flying for them.

"So I think on the pitch it is a good move, off the pitch, you do sort of have your worries, but overall, if it can make financial sense for us, if we're not paying over-exuberant fees in terms of a  signing fee and wages and all that lot, then I think it could work."

The Verdict

If Fulham can pull off signing Lingard this summer it would represent an excellent signing.

Whilst our fan pundit has some concerns regarding things away from the pitch, Lingard's abilities on it are well worth the risk.

He showed at West Ham United during his recent loan spell that he has plenty to offer still at Premier League level, scoring nine goals and registering six assists in sixteen appearances.

As a result of that form, you'd expect there to be plenty of options out there for Lingard this summer, but as above, if Fulham could pull this off, it would be an excellent acquisition.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/on-the-pitch-it-is-a-good-move-fulham-fan-pundit-reacts-to-links-with-man-uniteds-jesse-lingard/

WhiteJC

Fulham's ambitious Sergej Milinkovic-Savic pursuit dealt blow as Lazio president reveals firm stance on star man

Fulham's reported target Sergej Milinkovic-Savic is not for sale this summer, Lazio president Claudio Lotto has insisted amid links with a move away.

Fulham have sealed their place back in the Premier League after winning the Championship title, and the Cottagers will be determined to cement their top-flight status after bouncing between the top two divisions in recent years.

However, regardless of promotion, it's safe to say that claims of interest in Lazio star Milinkovic-Savic will have raised eyebrows among fans.

The Serbian midfielder has been one of Serie A's standout stars for some time now and is one of Europe's best central midfielders. Given his pedigree, clubs like Manchester United and PSG have been linked alongside Fulham.

Now though, Lazio president Lotto has issued a firm stance on the sought-after midfielder. Speaking with Goal, Lotto has insisted Milinkovic-Savic is not up for sale, highlighting that he has already rejected a €140m offer before. Here's what he had to say:

"Milinkovic is not for sale, I respect him a lot.

"I respect Milinkovic very much, he can make a difference and I have a good relationship with him.

"If I were to be requested by a top team in the world, I would ask the player where he wants to play. In my club, there is first the human value and then the economic one. When I was made an indecent offer of €140 million, I decided not to sell him."

Stance clear...

Lotto's words make Lazio's stance on Milinkovic-Savic's future clear, seemingly bringing an end to any faint hopes Fulham fans may have had of completing a seriously surprising transfer.

Regardless of Fulham's riches, links between them and the Lazio star seemed incredibly optimistic at least given the pedigree of the player himself. If he does end up making a move away from Lazio, you would assume Milinkovic-Savic will be heading to a club in an established position at the very top of the game and not to a newly-promoted Premier League team.

https://the72.co.uk/272883/fulhams-ambitious-sergej-milinkovic-savic-pursuit-dealt-blow-as-lazio-president-reveals-firm-stance-on-star-man/

WhiteJC

Marco Silva makes bold claim regarding Aleksandar Mitrovic at Fulham

The pressure is on Aleksandar Mitrovic and Fulham to prove themselves in the Premier League next season after demolishing the field in the Championship.

The Serbian has been an effective striker in the top-flight before, not to the same extent, and should be confident of heavily contributing to the club stabilising in the division next term.

Marco Silva has had a huge positive influence on the 27-year-old, and he reiterated his enormous faith in the striker when he spoke to The Athletic.

He said: "He's ready to play any competition in any country, in my opinion.

"I don't have doubts.

"Right now is his best season so far in his career.

"It is a fantastic feeling for me to help him to play at this level, to help him to keep scoring goals.

"If you ask me right now if next season we will have 70 per cent of possession every single match, I'll answer to you directly: no.

"It's up to me and my staff to create the conditions to get the best from our players.

"Mitrovic is a very good player.

"If you ask me if he can play Premier League – he already did it.

"He already scored goals there as well.

"It's up to us to keep working with him, to keep improving, because he has many things to keep improving.

"Playing in a different way, as well, because we will not be so dominant for sure in certain games and of course, we have to find different ways to take the best from him and from the others."

The Cottagers went down with a whimper, with Mitrovic on board, in 2018/19 and 2020/21, but in Silva they have a manager with experience in the division before, where they have not following promotion in the past.

The Verdict

Mitrovic has never looked out of place in the Premier League and arguably should not have dropped to the Championship with Fulham in the first place.

Given the incredible goalscoring season he has had, regardless of the level of opposition, at 27 the Serbian is more ready than ever to take on the Premier League, for dropping down to the second tier with Fulham.

His record league goal tally in the top-flight is a very beatable 11, and making his way past that number should be the first target for Mitrovic to overcome next season.

It will be very interesting to see how Silva adapts Fulham's tactics, with an understanding that the opposition and requirements to pick up points will be very different.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/marco-silva-makes-bold-claim-regarding-aleksandar-mitrovic-at-fulham/

WhiteJC

Report: £10m Liverpool man open to join another PL side

Neco Williams is open to a Liverpool exit and joining Fulham permanently, as per 90Min. The defender spent the second half of last season on loan at Fulham – and the Reds are closing in on the signing of Calvin Ramsay.

Williams, 21, decided to go on loan to Fulham having only managed eight Liverpool appearances during the first half of the season. At Fulham, he has been excellent – playing 15 times and having a hand in four goals.

Said form has seen him help the Cottagers regain a place in the Premier League and they are expected to spend in the coming months. Williams could now be one of a number of players they decide to bring in.

The Echo report that Williams is rated at £10million by Liverpool, who are set to hold talks with the Wales international at the end of the season. 90Min now state that Liverpool are closing in on the signing of Ramsay.

The report states that the signing of Ramsay from Aberdeen is likely to push Williams closer to the exit – and Fulham want a permanent deal. Indeed, it is said that Williams is open to the idea of a permanent switch to Fulham.

Williams is open to Liverpool exit: Reds making a £10m mistake?

Williams is brilliant cover for Alexander-Arnold, so from Liverpool's selfish point of view, keeping him would be ideal. But they have Joe Gomez, and are about to sign Ramsay. Do they actually need Williams? Probably not.

From Williams point of view, he has to go if he is to advance his career. He showed he is a level above the Championship. The next logical move is a club in the Premier League where he will start. Fulham is perfect.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/05/11/report-10m-liverpool-man-open-to-join-another-pl-side/

WhiteJC

Report: £10m Liverpool player is frustrated and Klopp could now be ready to sell him

Jurgen Klopp is empathetic to Neco Williams' frustration over a lack of minutes at Liverpool and is willing to allow him an exit from the club this summer.

That's according to 90min, who claim that the Liverpool manager will sanction a deal to move the player on.

Klopp's willingness to sell Williams is reportedly a factor in Liverpool pursuing a move for Calvin Ramsay.

90min report that Liverpool are 'confident' of signing the Aberdeen full-back. Should they do so, it could reportedly lead to Williams leaving the club he has played for since he was eight-years-old.

One in, one out for Liverpool

Ramsay's proposed arrival at Liverpool has been well covered in recent days. It does look as though Liverpool have won the crowded race for his signature.

That's of course brilliant news – Ramsay has emerged as one of the most coveted young players in Britain.

The fee for the 18-year-old will reportedly be as low as £4m too. Given Williams performances on-loan at Fulham, Liverpool could reasonably fetch almost triple that for their Welsh international. They were looking for a fee of £10m in January (David Lynch), and his stock has risen since then.

The 21-year-old helped the Cottagers to promotion and was called 'fantastic' by manager Marco Silva via The Athletic.

It's always a shame to lose an academy graduate, especially one as talented as Williams. Although he has his limitations, he is one of his country's best emerging talents and looks set for a very good career.

Due to Trent Alexander-Arnold's brilliance, he was always going to be second-choice for The Reds though. That may be good enough for some players, but not Williams.

Perhaps another loan move to boost his value further may work for Liverpool and for the player. But if Ramsay does come in, that would surely be just delaying his eventual permanent exit.

https://www.rousingthekop.com/2022/05/11/report-10m-liverpool-player-is-frustrated-and-klopp-could-now-be-ready-to-sell-him-this-summer/

WhiteJC

"I think it is money down the drain" – Fulham fan pundit reacts as club confirm double agreement

This article is part of Football League World's 'Terrace Talk' series, which provides personal opinions from our FLW Fan Pundits regarding the latest breaking news, teams, players, managers, potential signings and more...

As the season has come to a close, plenty of clubs have started to make announcements on what their squad will look like next season.

This week, Fulham have taken up options on the contracts of both Tim Ream and Neeskens Kebano.

Ream has been a solid part of the side that won the league this season with the defender having made 46 appearances for the club, whilst winger Kebano has made 40 appearances and contributed nine goals.

Both players have played in the Premier League with Fulham twice but in their most recent season in the top flight, they both made under ten appearances for the side.

With that in mind, we asked FLW's Fulham fan pundit Matt Baldwin how he felt about the decision to extend their contracts: "I'm in two minds about it.

"If they're being extended so that they can be first team players and for us to think they did well in the Championship, they can do it again in the Premier League, I'm not totally convinced because I think when we went up last time, their weaknesses were very much exposed. That's why, in Tim Ream's case for instance, we needed to go out and buy a couple of new defenders at the time, it was Joachim Andersen and Tosin Adarabioyo in for Kebano, I think that's when we brought in the likes of Ademola Lookman.

"So I think if they're being brought in to be kept as first team players, I think it's an incredibly bad move and if they're being used as squad players I think it's okay because they will be needed for the odd game of the season, the early the cup rounds or whenever a player is injured or suspended.

"But then you're spending that money on players for five games a season so hopefully there was a wage reduction brought in at the same time because otherwise you're effectively paying those wages for a couple of games, and I don't see that making financial sense, even with the extra money we get from being in the Premier League, I think it is money down the drain in that sense."

The Verdict:

Both Ream and Kebano have done really well for Fulham this season and shown why they're worthy of a place in the side. Therefore, on that alone it's clear that both players deserve a contract extension.

However when you consider Fulham's last season in the Premier League, neither player had a particularly good season and therefore if the club are truly looking forward to plan for next season, then only one of these players would have had their contract extended as a back-up option.

That being said, they are under different management now so maybe Silva believes he can get more out of the players at the highest level.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/i-think-it-is-money-down-the-drain-fulham-fan-pundit-reacts-as-club-confirm-double-agreement/

WhiteJC

USMNT defender Tim Ream signs contract extension with Fulham

Fulham defender Tim Ream has agreed a contract extension that will keep him at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2023.

The 34-year-old USMNT player first joined the Cottagers for the 2015/16 season and has already lived through promotions from the EFL Championship in 2017/18 and 2019/20, plus relegations from the Premier League in 2018/19 and 2020/21.

Fulham have been promoted to the Premier League again for 2022/23, with Ream starting all 46 league matches this season, leading the side to the Championship title with 90 points.

Internationally, Ream has been crucial in the success of the US men's national team since debuting in 2010. He has 46 appearances, managing one goal and four assists. Despite not featuring in 2022 World Cup qualifying, the player insists he is at the ready for coach Gregg Berhalter.

"I'm still available to be picked," he confirmed in April. "I don't think that will change until I completely hang up the boots.

"But I'm super proud of that group. It's evolved over the last three years and a half years. There was a lot of pressure from outside sources to make it to the World Cup because of previous failures. Those pressures were handled well.

"So to get there, I'm super proud. Now the fun begins. You're getting ready for the biggest tournament in the world and you're going up against the best of the best. Let's see what they can do."

https://www.90min.com/posts/usmnt-defender-tim-ream-signs-contract-extension-fulham

WhiteJC

Fulham Xl To Visit HDP

Margate FC is delighted to confirm that it will be welcoming a Fulham Xl to Hartsdown Park this summer for a pre-season friendly.

The West London club won promotion to the Premier League this month as Champions of the English Football League Championship.

The 'Cottagers' will travel to Hartsdown Park as part of the deal that took former 'Gate winger Martial Godo to the newly promoted Premier League side.

The fixture will be played at Hartsdown Park on Wednesday 20th July with kick-off at 7:30pm.

This fixture, like today's earlier announcement has yet to have ticket prices agreed, however once agreed an announcement will be made.

This fixture will proceed the three fixtures that the Club announced this afternoon. The 'Gate's 2022/23 pre-season campaign currently looks like this:

Wednesday 20th July 2022, 7:30pm – Fulham Xl (H)

Saturday 23rd July 2022, 3pm – Tonbridge Angels (H)

Tuesday 26th July 2022, 7:45pm – Ashford United (A)

Saturday 30th July 2022, 3pm – Ramsgate (H)

Saturday 13th August 2022, 3pm – 2022/23 Isthmian Premier Division starts

https://www.margate-fc.co.uk/news/11-may-2022/Fulham-Xl-To-Visit-HDP

WhiteJC

Fulham's Wickens hoping for EFL loan after impressive Stones spell

Young Fulham goalkeeper George Wickens hopes his successful loan spell at National League side Wealdstone will be enough to earn him a similar move to an EFL club next season.

The 20-year-old won the Stones players' player of the year award on Saturday having played a key role in helping the club secure their status in the fifth tier for another season.

Wickens had the chance to leave Grosvenor Vale early in January after Fulham received calls from several League Two clubs, but opted to stay in west London where he was guaranteed regular football.

"Don't get me wrong, it was a tough decision and I thought there were both a lot of positives and risks going into the League in January," Wickens said. "In the end I just went with my gut.

"I was in a place where I'd set myself a goal of finishing the season with 40 games under my belt and knowing that if I do that well enough, there could be League One or League Two interest next season.

"It's been really good for my development and it's been very different to Under-23s football.

"It's much more physical and there's a lot more things you've got to deal with like playing in front of crowds every week which is much better.

"There's more pressure because there's people with jobs on the line.

"I just want to finish the season strongly and once that's done, then I can set my sights on the next season.

"But from what I've heard, it's looking good in terms of hopefully going into either League One or League Two next year.

"I think that will be the best thing for me. The end goal is to play for Fulham one day but I know that for goalkeepers it's a longer journey."

Wickens is on course to play his 40th game of the season on Sunday when Wealdstone travel to Aldershot Town, a target which he set himself prior to the campaign.

With Wealdstone operating on a part-time basis, Wickens trains at Motspur Park with the Fulham squad during the week while linking up with the Stones squad when required.

The former Fulham season ticket holder said being around the club during their historic Championship-winning campaign has been a great experience.

"I've always supported them and used to have a season ticket with my dad from the age of four or five-years-old until I went in there full-time when I was about 15 or 16 I think," Wickens said.

"I think we only missed one year out of those where we didn't have a season ticket. I remember watching all the European games and have good memories there so I've always kept up with them wherever I've been.

"Obviously having someone like Fabio (Carvalho) around the first team who you've got that connection with. It's been good keeping an eye on people like that, they've done brilliantly."

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-keeper-hoping-for-loan-move-next-season

WhiteJC

West Brom man among Championship stars Fulham should now target

Fulham are Premier League-bound as Championship winners, but what players could Marco Silva sign from the second-tier with several stars out of contract?

The Cottagers face decisions on the futures of five men who won their crown, while also having to plan without Fabio Carvalho. Fabrizio Romano claims 'everything is done' for the 19-year-old to join Liverpool in the summer.

Silva has already given Fulham his go-ahead to tie up the immediate futures of two of his regular options. The Craven Cottage natives have triggered options to extend Tim Ream and Neeskens Kebano's contracts for another 12-months.

But Fabri, Michael Hector, Alfie Mawson, Tyrese Francois and Jean Michael Seri are still out of contract this June. So, Silva could need to strengthen across the pitch and may find some bargains by shopping in the Championship this year.

Several second-tier stars who failed to secure promotion into the top-flight this term could serve roles in west London. A raft are also set to hit the market as free agents in June, which could see Fulham spend elsewhere for big names.

So, what players in the Championship may serve a purpose under Silva in the Premier League should Fulham sign a second-tier talent for the top-flight?

West Brom's Johnstone should be top Championship player for Fulham to sign

West Brom goalkeeper Sam Johnstone should be the top Championship player on Silva and Fulham's shortlist for summer signings. The England international is out of contract at The Hawthorns in June and worthy of a top-flight return.

Silva is seemingly in the market for a new option between the sticks in his bid to keep the Cottagers clear of another immediate relegation. TEAMtalk report Fulham are interested in re-signing Alphonse Areola from Paris Saint-Germain.

Hopes at Craven Cottage of their 2020/21 loanee returning are high as PSG are keen to sell. But West Ham are keen to keep Areola in east London, and the Daily Mail claim his £120k-a-week wage is the only major stumbling block.

Johnstone, then, would be a very capable alternative, yet Fulham may have to hope he favours playing time for the World Cup. The Mirror note Tottenham are confident of signing Johnstone after Manchester United cooled their interest.

Reading raid for Swift could see Silva replace Seri at Craven Cottage

Should Silva let Seri go, Fulham should consider signing John Swift to replace the £25m midfielder. Swift will hit the market unattached when his Reading contract expires in June, but was one of the best creators in the Championship.

No second-tier player created more chances than Swift or Harry Wilson, who carved out 102, per WhoScored. Swift also only trailed the Cottagers' Wilson for assists on 13 to 19 across his 38 regular-season appearances this term.

Reading have yet given up hope of retaining Swift, with Berkshire Live reporting the Royals have made a last-ditch attempt to discuss new terms. The Athletic also report West Brom are 'optimistic' of signing the 11-goal 26-year-old.

But Fulham can offer Swift a step up to the Premier League if they sign the Championship star from Reading. He has shown his skill in the second-tier, but has only enjoyed one top-flight minute in his career back in 2014 with Chelsea.

Fulham can support Mitrovic by signing Championship star Brereton Diaz

Fulham secured the Championship title after scoring 106 goals – 32 more than any team – with Aleksandar Mitrovic taking the Golden Boot with 43. But the Serbian has previously struggled in the top-flight, with three goals in 2020/21.

Silva can now support Mitrovic in the Premier League by demanding Fulham sign another prolific player from the Championship. Ben Brereton Diaz should leave Blackburn Rovers this summer with his contract expiring in a year's time.

The Chile forward finished third for the second-tier Golden Boot on 22 goals in 37 games as Rovers finished eighth. He will likely now step up to the Premier League, though, and The Sun report the 23-year-old's available for just £15m.

However, The Sun add West Ham are frontrunners for a switch as David Moyes likes his ability to play centrally and on the wing. Sevilla also have a long-term interest, as well as competition from further teams from abroad this year.

Silva can add bite to Fulham midfield with Championship swoop for Travis

Silva can add further bite to Fulham's midfield with a Championship swoop to sign another Blackburn player in Lewis Travis. The 24-year-old enters the last year of his contract in June and may leave, but Rovers have a one-year option.

Travis finished his development at Blackburn after moving to Lancashire from Liverpool in 2015. He has since made 154 appearances at Rovers, including 45 during the regular Championship season and captained the side three times.

The Whiston-born anchor took command of the Ewood Park engine room with a great ball-winning ability. No central midfielder in the second-tier won more tackles (106) or made more interceptions (85) than Travis, per WhoScored.

Fulham could see Jacob Greaves spend one season as a Championship player

Fulham can see that Jacob Greaves only spends a season as a Championship player by signing the Hull City centre-half. The 21-year-old made the step up to the second-tier this term following the Tigers' promotion from League One.

Greaves has enjoyed a constant rise in his career in recent seasons, having made his League Two debut in 2019. His League One bow followed in 2020 and then Championship in 2021. The Premier League can easily follow in 2022.

Despite his lack of experience at the level, the 6 ft 1 talent recorded a greater volume of successful tackles with 84 than any other Championship centre-half, per WhoScored. He also made the fourth-most interceptions with 73 this term.

https://tbrfootball.com/west-brom-man-among-championship-stars-fulham-should-now-target/

WhiteJC

Wickens wants Football League loan

Fulham goalkeeper George Wickens wants a loan with a Football League club in the weeks before the start of the new season after his outstanding performances for Wealdstone this term.

Wickens was voted the Stones' player of the year by the club's fans last weekend and the 20 year-old turned down the chance to leave Wealdstone in the new year as he preferred to keep his current employers in the National League Northern Premier League. Wickens, who has kept twelve clean sheets for Stones in 39 appearances, told West London Sport:

"Don't get me wrong, it was a tough decision and I thought there were both a lot of positives and risks going into the League in January. In the end I just went with my gut.

I was in a place where I'd set myself a goal of finishing the season with 40 games under my belt and knowing that if I do that well enough, there could be League One or League Two interest next season. It's been really good for my development and it's been very different to Under-23s football.

It's much more physical and there's a lot more things you've got to deal with like playing in front of crowds every week which is much better. There's more pressure because there's people with jobs on the line. "I just want to finish the season strongly and once that's done, then I can set my sights on the next season."

Wickens, a lifelong Fulham fan, says his ultimate ambition is play for the senior side.

The end goal is to play for Fulham one day but I know that for goalkeepers it's a longer journey. I've always supported them and used to have a season ticket with my dad from the age of four or five-years-old until I went in there full-time when I was about 15 or 16 I think.

I think we only missed one year out of those where we didn't have a season ticket. I remember watching all the European games and have good memories there so I've always kept up with them wherever I've been. Obviously having someone like Fabio (Carvalho) around the first team who you've got that connection with. It's been good keeping an eye on people like that, they've done brilliantly,"

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/05/wickens-wants-football-league-loan/