watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Oscar-nominated British actor Pete Postlethwaite has died at the age of 64

Started by Rambling_Syd_Rumpo, January 03, 2011, 11:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Sad new indeed-Oscar-nominated British actor Pete Postlethwaite has died at the age of 64, a spokesman has announced.

Journalist and friend Andrew Richardson said the actor, who was appointed OBE in 2003, died peacefully in hospital in Shropshire after a lengthy illness.

jarv

Very sad. great actor, loved brassed off. If you have'nt seen it check it out.

finnster01

Fantastic actor. One of the very best that didn't get enough credit. A bit like the Chris Baird of acting, only better.

RIP Mr Postletwaithe, you were special  :Sparkyticus:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

he was fantastic in the The Usual Suspects as Kobayashi-such a shame,never met the guy but people I know who have had said he was a down to earth, clever, funny man of the people who always got his round in-not a bad epitaph that!

finnster01

Sad thing is, not many people here in the US even know who he was...

HatterDon

They do, Mr. Finn, but they don't necessarily know his name. That's the way it is with good character actors. I thought he was brilliant in everything I saw him in. He left a body of work to be proud of. There's more than a few actors today who could learn a thing or two from how he did his business.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

A great actor who sadly was also  in films that were propaganda for the IRA and the Labour Party.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

CorkedHat

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 04, 2011, 12:36:38 AM
A great actor who sadly was also  in films that were propaganda for the IRA and the Labour Party.

You can bank on Lighthouse to cast his right wing pallor across the credentials of one of the finest actors this country has ever known.
Tell me one thing in "Brassed Off" that wasn't accurate. If that was propaganda so are many movies that emanate out of Hollywood.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

finnster01

Quote from: CorkedHat on January 04, 2011, 01:03:55 AM

You can bank on Lighthouse to cast his right wing pallor across the credentials of one of the finest actors this country has ever known.
Tell me one thing in "Brassed Off" that wasn't accurate. If that was propaganda so are many movies that emanate out of Hollywood.
Lads,
Lets leave all that stuff behind. The man was a great actor. What he believed in and supported one way or another is/was his choice. I happen to be somewhere in the middle but I hope our country has moved on. Remember, no politics?

Lighthouse

Sorry if I upset people by pointing out the facts. A said he was a great actor but In The Name OF The Father was nothing but a fictional account dressed up as fact that was heavily criticised for its pro IRA views. He also appeared on Labour Party Broadcasts.

These are facts. I put the word 'sadly' in the original thread because it is the reason he never was the household name he could have become after his great depth of acting work.

By using the term 'right wing' to describe my views Mr CH is again pointing out his left wing bias. He is the only one making political points.

I actually also liked Alien 3 and Brassed Off. Although Brassed Off was as accurate as In The Name of The Father. But good fun nevertheless. Up the Workers. Right up em.

CorkedHat

Quote from: finnster01 on January 04, 2011, 01:08:02 AM
Quote from: CorkedHat on January 04, 2011, 01:03:55 AM

Lads,
Lets leave all that stuff behind. The man was a great actor. What he believed in and supported one way or another is/was his choice. I happen to be somewhere in the middle but I hope our country has moved on. Remember, no politics?

Couldn't agree more Mr Finn - but I was only responding to an unwanted and indeed unwarranted comment  :dead horse:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

HammyH3

I saw him on stage in the West End in the early 1990's playing the Manager in 'The Rise and Fall of Little Voice' which ran for months. He was brilliant. Alison Steadman was the Mother and Jane Horrocks played Little Voice.

The film of the play came out a few years later and they cast Michael Caine in place of Pete Postlethwaite. I thought the film was good also.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

The origanal post was to inform of the loss of a great actor,don't let that stop you sticking the knife in or for you to miss the chance for you to hit everyone over the head with your polictical views-bang out of order!

os5889

Obediah Hakeswill forever will live on! Fantastic actor, his performances in Sharpe and Brassed Off were awesome.

One of my favourite actors and will be missed

Nick the Swede

This was very sad news indeed, one of my all-time favorite actors! Can't remember any film where he didn't shine, sadly he did star in some films below his capacity as an actor. I.e. Jurassic Park (number 2 I think it was).

Have to wait a few weeks for my movie collection to arrive from the mainland but after that I'll re-watch Brassed Off once more as a tribute to the man!

R I P
-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Lighthouse

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on January 04, 2011, 02:38:34 AM

The origanal post was to inform of the loss of a great actor,don't let that stop you sticking the knife in or for you to miss the chance for you to hit everyone over the head with your polictical views-bang out of order!

If you read the two posts preceding this you will understand how the comments fit in. If you then read my reply to Corked Hats attack I hope it becomes clearer. If you still consider the line a political statement and bang out of order then put it down to my complete lack of education and my inability to put over a non political point at why an actor with such a library of work was not better known. I have read my comments again and still don't see why it has caused such consternation.

BalDrick

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 04, 2011, 02:00:40 AM
Sorry if I upset people by pointing out the facts. A said he was a great actor but In The Name OF The Father was nothing but a fictional account dressed up as fact that was heavily criticised for its pro IRA views. He also appeared on Labour Party Broadcasts.

These are facts. I put the word 'sadly' in the original thread because it is the reason he never was the household name he could have become after his great depth of acting work.

By using the term 'right wing' to describe my views Mr CH is again pointing out his left wing bias. He is the only one making political points.

I actually also liked Alien 3 and Brassed Off. Although Brassed Off was as accurate as In The Name of The Father. But good fun nevertheless. Up the Workers. Right up em.

I'm sorry - a film accurately describing the police stitching up any Irishmen they could find - because they were desperate for a result after the thoroughly atrocious bombings - is pro-IRA? Pro truth maybe, and yes I'm sure there was some artistic licence involved (it was a film after all), but a system that imprisons innocent people knowingly cannot take any moral high ground at all.

What I actually came on here to say was I'm shocked he was only 64. I'm 43 now, 21 years younger than him, which means when I saw In the Name of the Father in the early 90s (can't remember exactly what year it was), he wasn't far off the age I am now.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

os5889

Please gents lets not get a decent well meaning thread locked on account of political arguments.

Watched some Sharpe last night as a tribute

BalDrick

Quote from: os5889 on January 04, 2011, 11:19:43 AM
Please gents lets not get a decent well meaning thread locked on account of political arguments.

Of course yes - my apologies.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

finnster01

Quote from: os5889 on January 04, 2011, 11:19:43 AM

That must have been from Sharpe's Company as Pete wasn't in many of them other ones I believe.

Good stuff those Sharpe ones. Sean Bean is excellent and there are a few ladies very pleasing to the eye as well.