watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Big spend signings

Started by StuinSalop, May 24, 2022, 10:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuinSalop

The big spending summer after the Villa game is now well and truly a matter of history.  From memory the players released and sold are as follows:
Frank bought for £25M, sold for £15M
Seri and LeMarchant bought for £25M
Mawson bought for £15M
That is a massive £50M loss, we would have recouped a fair bit in loan fees so let's say  £40M loss.

Still with us from that spending spree are Mitro and Bryan who we paid around £30M for and now worth maybe £40M.
So that's a total £30M loss on signings.

Whilst these numbers are eye watering to Championship clubs it is relatively small beer in Premier League terms.

Most importantly the costs are now off the books and we can sort of start again.  True we have players like Knockaert, Cavaleiro and Reid on the books who we paid over the odds for, but this is easily balanced by Tete, Robinson and Tosin who cost less than £10M between them and would be worth easily £30M on the marker right now.

So whilst we need to offload a few more squad players we have done nowhere nearly as bad as a lot of people seem to think.  We are again a Premier League team and start next season on the same points as everyone else.  One would expect the powers that be have learnt a huge amount about what it will take both financially and player quality wise to retain our position in the Premier League, we have built the new stand which will soon start to bring in additional revenue and we have a premier league manager who knows what he is doing.

We are clearly looking for value in the market but we must recruit quality and the right sort of quality to build a coherent competitive team.  I guess the trick is to have 2 plans, the main one being to remain in the premier league but with one eye on making sure we are not stuffed should that not happen.

hovewhite

Spending all that money we were still relegated,it's getting in players late not early is where we need to improve.

filham

I think most of those bad buys were computer supported lets now give the manager his head and hope for better.

JoelH5

Mitrovic - Bought for 20m, worth 50m.
Tosin - 2m, got to be worth at least 16m+
Harry Wilson - 12m. Very good buy.

It's not all misses and as you say, not as bad as some think.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Radiowhite

Since that one transfer window out business has greatly improved

The Rock

I think we recouped more like £15m in loan fees. Regardless - the wage bill is freed up substantially. Taking say 2 of the 3 of Knock, Cav, or Onomah are off as well that leaves room for 5-6 PL quality starters.

If any of the FFP maths brains on here have a dumbed down recap of what our potential net spend could be this summer it would be great to see.

Jims Dentist

Knocky  and Cav are still a drain on our FFP accounts.
Given the wages someone gave them, it's hard to see anyone coming in for them.

Bassey the warrior

The club are learning from their transfer mistakes and I'm confident they'll get the right players in.

ALG01

no transfer is guaranteed and some are brilliant and some rotten, it's just the way of it
however
our big money signings were not normal, they were in large part very stupid... the big ,plus from 2018 was mitro and he was nothing to do with the management but the manger instead.
seri was a miss as was anguisa in the prem, they were not committed in that fist year. mlm was hopeless from the start, the keepers were a horrible joke.
mawson and kongolo were signed with known issues especially mawson... the list of poor decision making is legion.

at the end of the last relegation it was clear the owner had decided on a new strategy and the players we got this time, plus the management of the squad were way better and from everything the owner said he left so much more to silva to lead.

we shall see what transpires... we have enough time and i hope we do not simply make the same errors again... i am not sure the youtube clips of the rumoured keeper are inspiring but I am happy to keep an open mind until i see him for myself.

i do not mind unknown/less known players but we do need a couple of prem experienced players of quality IMO. Milner would be good but doubt he could be dislodged but that sort of experience would pay divedends.

toshes mate

Big spend or little spend what you hope you get is VFM, and you get VFM when a player does well with you and becomes a sought after asset thus pushing up his worth.  Hopefully the new contacts that Silva and company bring into play will transition away from the many mistakes the Club has made since May 2018.  We just cannot afford another run of euphoric stupidity like that.  This time let's hope we design our squad to be fit to impress on lookers via every game performance and not via price tags and previous.