watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Imagine its May 13 2010

Started by JudgeBread, May 26, 2022, 04:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeBread

It's the day after the Europa League Final and the genie has allowed you to kidnap one member of the squad and bring them back to help for the 22/23 season.

Who is your pick?

GK   1   Mark Schwarzer
RB   6   Chris Baird
CB   18   Aaron Hughes
CB   5   Brede Hangeland
LB   3   Paul Konchesky
RM   16   Damien Duff
CM   20   Dickson Etuhu
CM   13   Danny Murphy (c)
LM   29   Simon Davies
AM   11   Zoltán Gera
CF   25   Bobby Zamora

Substitutes:
GK   19   Pascal Zuberbühler
DF   4   John Paintsil
MF   17   Bjørn Helge Riise
MF   23   Clint Dempsey
MF   27   Jonathan Greening
MF   34   Kagisho Dikgacoi
FW   10   Erik Nevland

I reckon I'd toss a coin and take either Schwarzer or Brede

RaySmith

Definitely a strong looking squad - hard to pick out an individual, but I suppose that was its strength, instilled by Roy, working together as a team.

But  your choice of Schwarzer or Brede are good shouts for today's  team, as would be Danny Murphy.

legana

Hangeland - if any one player changed how tough a side we were to beat at the time, I think it was him.

Holders

Our greatest need would be in Murphy's or Dempsey's positions.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

hovewhite

HV71

Hangeland - first choice . Murphy second

FFC In Oz

1) Hangeland
2) Dempsey
3) Murphy

Sting of the North

Under the assumptions in the OP, Schwarzer, Hangeland and Murphy would all instantly increase our chances of survival. Of those, I believe GK is the least important position to fill. Furthermore, I believe that even though Murphy would do great in our current team, I believe it is even more important to find a stronger defensive midfielder. For CB, if we had Tosin and a prime Hangeland, I would say that we would almost certainly stay out of relegation.

Tough choice, but Hangeland edges it.

None of the others would have a huge impact on our squad I believe, possibly Dempsey. Not the strongest squad player by player but they made up a very good team. Shows you what teamwork can do, doesn't it?

S.F.Sorrow

Easy: Hangeland.

We have an abysmal track record when it comes to signing CBs after Hangeland left us. Tosin was probably just a stroke of luck. We have never really replaced Hangeland and it's about time we do.

My second choice would be Murphy.

dfwilson84

Hangeland
Hughes
Dempsey

On a seperate unrelated note, I never found out why Baird started over Pantsil in the final? I didnt have a problem with it but it was a bit of a surprise as Pantsil was first choice at the time. Wasit tactical or did JP have a knock?

filham

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on May 26, 2022, 09:21:39 AM
Easy: Hangeland.

We have an abysmal track record when it comes to signing CBs after Hangeland left us. Tosin was probably just a stroke of luck. We have never really replaced Hangeland and it's about time we do.

My second choice would be Murphy.
Absolutely right, we now need a new center back and base on recent signings it is odds on we will make yet another mistake.

Carborundum

Dickson Etuhu.

Faster, stronger, scarier and a better tackler than anyone we have seen since.  Actually probably the best standing tackler I have ever seen.

Cheese and Brede

Hangeland and Tosin. What a patnership that would be. A la Rio and Vidic

JoelH5

Hangeland. If we can get another solid CB to play with Tosin this year we have a good chance
I was there, standing in the Putney end

H4usuallysitting

Gera....for no other reason other than to watch him celebrate scoring

DukeTyrion

1) Hangeland
2) Murphy
3) Dempsey

bog

PaulJ123

Lordedmundo

Has to be Hangeland, but Murphy a close second.

Zamora was also brilliant that season, unplayable at times. He had the pace that Mitro does not have...

Somerset Fulham

1) Hangeland
2) Davies
3) Baird