https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Lester Piggot

Started by Andy S, May 29, 2022, 10:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Did anyone ever win money on a nag he was riding? RIP

Dodgin

First bet I ever had Never Say Die, Derby Winner, that was 68 years ago. Lester, one of the greats. RIP

filham

Stepped into the shoes of the great Gordo Richards and outgrew them. A real legend of the turf.

Beamer

There is a great Lester story about his tax affairs which I don't know to be true but really hope it is. During the investigation the Revenue really didn't want to prosecute such a much loved character and gave him every chance to sort things out. Having declared that he had now told them everything they agreed a sum (several million) to draw a line under the affair. Lester offered to write them a cheque there and then and promptly wrote it on an account he hadn't told them about - legend.

Mince n Tatties

Sad News especially here  in Newmarket.
When I worked in racing Lester rode a winner on the horse I looked after..In those days before pool money which they get now,the jockey used used to drop you 2 or 3 quid.
After race Lester told me he had no change money on him(he did it to a few others).
So there's no chance of getting it now after all these years.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.
RIP the Greatest.

gang

Quote from: Beamer on May 29, 2022, 11:05:20 AM
There is a great Lester story about his tax affairs which I don't know to be true but really hope it is. During the investigation the Revenue really didn't want to prosecute such a much loved character and gave him every chance to sort things out. Having declared that he had now told them everything they agreed a sum (several million) to draw a line under the affair. Lester offered to write them a cheque there and then and promptly wrote it on an account he hadn't told them about - legend.

Hope it's true. Never been I interested in horse racing but I do like a rule bender.

cmg

Sad.
I had two real sporting heroes, Johnny Haynes departed the scene some 17 years ago. Now Lester.
Two very different personalities. How lucky I was to have witnessed both throughout their prime years.

I don't harbour the illusion that Piggott wasn't a strange, mean, unscrupulous, maybe even unpleasant, bloke, but as a flat race jockey I never saw anything like it. And don't expect ever to do so.

Fulham 442

Another amusing couple of anecdotes, his parsimony was legendary apparently, hence the tax evasion charges etc...

Piggott was partially deaf and had a minor speech impediment, which contributed to a reputation of being taciturn. Piggott was also known for his dry wit. For example, when asked by a reporter, after Karabas had won the 1969 Washington International, when he thought he would win, Piggott replied "about two weeks ago". Allegedly when asked by a stable employee for a £5 gratuity, Piggott motioned to the employee to speak into his "good ear", at which point the employee increased the request to £10. Piggott responded with "try the other ear again". On being asked by a young girl serving him with ice cream if he was soul singer Wilson Pickett, he said "yes".[

Mince n Tatties

Came out of retirement to win Breeders Cup in America at age 54 on Royal Academy.
Then told yanks afterwards....Easy over here ain't it.😅