News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why is Tom Cairney not considered good enough for the crude Scotland squad??

Started by Nick Bateman, June 01, 2022, 07:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Pat

Some of you will have to  finally let the idea of Cairney playing PL go. not good enough.

Logicalman

Quote from: ex-Pat on June 02, 2022, 05:58:34 PM

Some of you will have to  finally let the idea of Cairney playing PL go. not good enough.

If so true, then we will need to face it that half the team are in the same boat and TC.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Logicalman on June 03, 2022, 12:18:00 PM
Quote from: ex-Pat on June 02, 2022, 05:58:34 PM

If so true, then we will need to face it that half the team are in the same boat and TC.
A big agree.
Given his knee problems his appearances for us this season have been limited.
The very last thing he would need is more games.

hovewhite

They bypass the midfield and he would get a dodgy neck,let him rest to start season fit.

Woolly Mammoth

He does not need Sunday Morning Football at this stage.
We need to keep him fresh and finely tuned as despite his lack of pace and only having one foot most of the time, he has vision and foresight and is currently the only player Fulham have who has genuine creativity at that level.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

jarv

Nick, your comment about TC is a bit thoughtless.  I love it when he plays but he is a shadow of the player he was before the long lay off. Also he is past his prime now and selections for internationals run in 2 year cycles, ie, will he still be performing in 2 years time at the next tournament.

Scotland crude...way off the mark.  Good midfield, excellent full backs but no decent striker and mediocre centre backs.  If TC can fill either of those 2 positions I would be delighted.

Sting of the North

To me, it also sounds a bit thoughtless, or at least like a huge exaggeration, to state that TC is "a shadow of the player he was...". In my opinion he had several games this season where he bossed the games and looked a class above the Championship. Just like before.

But that is just my opinion.

Nick Bateman

Quote from: jarv on June 05, 2022, 09:18:18 AM
Nick, your comment about TC is a bit thoughtless.  I love it when he plays but he is a shadow of the player he was before the long lay off. Also he is past his prime now and selections for internationals run in 2 year cycles, ie, will he still be performing in 2 years time at the next tournament.

Scotland crude...way off the mark.  Good midfield, excellent full backs but no decent striker and mediocre centre backs.  If TC can fill either of those 2 positions I would be delighted.
Quote from: Sting of the North on June 05, 2022, 04:43:08 PM
To me, it also sounds a bit thoughtless, or at least like a huge exaggeration, to state that TC is "a shadow of the player he was...". In my opinion he had several games this season where he bossed the games and looked a class above the Championship. Just like before.

But that is just my opinion.

Cairney is a wonderous talent. If he were in a club more appreciative of his talents he would prove his full potential. Some Fulham followers, while one appreciates their honest appraisals, are not witnessing what I view with my own knowledge of the game we love.

Tom Cairney is a "thinking man's" footballer, again not saying those who don't rate him as unthinking, I am talking about the style of his game. He READS the match, sees teammates' runs, has great vsion of things around him, and has the ability to deliver that pinpoint pass that others in the squad fail to do constantly. TC's pass rate must be one of the highest, while former colleague Seri would be nowhere near, for example.

Silva hasn't been consistant in selecting him, and usually when he is omitted, Fulham invariably lose. Watch next season and you shall see.
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

jarv

Agree, TC is a great talent (and a joy to watch).  Is he 31?  What playing time he has left at he top should be reserved for Fulham and key games when we are not so likely to be on the back foot.