watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Does Tom Cairney

Started by perry geyton, June 23, 2022, 04:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyFFC

I think he's good enough for sure. He's only 31, and seems to have regained full-fitness after that horrendous knee injury. Danny Murphy was 30 when he signed and 35 when he left, so I certainly think we can get a couple of years in the PL out of Tom. He's a class act......

TC's Sporran

some people seem happy to write him off. why not wait and see? it dont matter what we think when it comes to the crunch. its what silva thinks.

i think if hes fit and has a bit of luck and his confidence is up he will be a good player for us.

perry geyton

Quote from: blingo on June 23, 2022, 04:17:56 PM
Sorry Piri but he's not good enough for the premiership, half a yard short of pace and too one footed in my view.
In your opinion that is Bongo, the same opinion that wrote him off before his come back last season saying that his knee was crocked and he'd never play again 🤔

perry geyton

Quote from: St Eve on June 23, 2022, 04:45:47 PM
Yes with the current squad. Even the tea lady has a shot
Snide

perry geyton

Quote from: MartyFFC on June 23, 2022, 07:58:59 PM
I think he's good enough for sure. He's only 31, and seems to have regained full-fitness after that horrendous knee injury. Danny Murphy was 30 when he signed and 35 when he left, so I certainly think we can get a couple of years in the PL out of Tom. He's a class act......
Precisely
He's 31 and the best footballer in our team by a long way, people carrying on like he's 35,
Sheepy mentality due to his knee injury

Prove em wrong Tom as you did last season

blingo

Quote from: perry geyton on June 23, 2022, 09:50:43 PM
Sorry Piri but he's not good enough for the premiership, half a yard short of pace and too one footed in my view.
In your opinion that is Bongo, the same opinion that wrote him off before his come back last season saying that his knee was crocked and he'd never play again 🤔

He's hardly set the world alight Piri. He's too slow for the prem as has been seen the last two times we've been there, and now he's two years older and has been through a serious injury.

Twig

Quote from: Jules on June 23, 2022, 06:50:39 PM
Quote from: filham on June 23, 2022, 06:42:08 PM
At the moment our midfield three is Cairney and Reed, to keep Tom out we have to buy two top mid field players and even if that happens he will be the first midfielder off the bench.
As for him being one footed that just isn't the case, the fact is that his left peg is so sweet that he prefers to use it whenever possible. Take another look at our goal of the season and you will see what I mean.
Yeah I don't agree with the one footed thing being an issue. Of the top of my head, two of the best players to have ever played the game have been very one footed - Messi, Maradona.

The two lazy criticisms of TC are; one footed and slow.  He has a great left foot but that doesn't mean he can't use his left - he can and does to great effect.  He isn't the quickest in a foot race but that is compensated by his anticipation and his ability to hit a telling through ball. He gets the team moving forward by his passing ability so has less need to rely on physical pace.

St Eve

Quote from: perry geyton on June 23, 2022, 09:53:21 PM
Quote from: St Eve on June 23, 2022, 04:45:47 PM
Yes with the current squad. Even the tea lady has a shot
Snide
No not snide just a little humour

Lambo

He does at the moment, because we have no new signings and our current squad does not have strength in depth 049:gif

Andy S

With nine subs he will be there or there about as you are not taking a risk by playing a player who you can sub or bring on

Radiowhite

Good to have in the squad for certain moments but not a starter.

perry geyton

Quote from: blingo on June 23, 2022, 10:26:27 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on June 23, 2022, 09:50:43 PM

He's hardly set the world alight Piri. He's too slow for the prem as has been seen the last two times we've been there, and now he's two years older and has been through a serious injury.

BUT he's got a brain Bongo which goes a lot further then being fast

I'll take a smart player over a speedy div all day long

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Compare with Rodney Marsh and other similar "slow and lazy" players (almost geniuses in my opinion:
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Litrecola_

I don't think he makes the starting 11 he is a step too slow.. He will be a useful sub and in Cup matches.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I think TC was voted player of the year and I saw an interview with him basically saying
he feels the Supporters voted with their hearts..
This tells me one thing.
1/.  He is loved by a vast majority of fans (not on here)
My conclusion is that award was not a "Goodbye Tom"
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Matt10

The most creative player on the team. One of the best players in possession and rarely loses it. Has great understanding with Wilson and Mitro. He doesn't need to be fast with pace, he just needs to be an outlet. The issue is that he needs to stay up somehow and not need to drop back. That's where his weakness is, especially in the PL. As a result, it's incredibly difficult to place him in the central midfield if someone comes alongside Reed. I'm really curious as to where he will find himself this season in Silva's system, without Fab, and fully healthy.

Mickeyboro

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on June 24, 2022, 03:49:03 AM
I think TC was voted player of the year and I saw an interview with him basically saying
he feels the Supporters voted with their hearts..
This tells me one thing.
1/.  He is loved by a vast majority of fans (not on here)
My conclusion is that award was not a "Goodbye Tom"
Goal of the season, actually...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FFC In Oz

Definitely a handy player to have in and around the squad.  Given his past two attempts in the PL, the jury is out, however.  Fingers crossed Marco can find a way to get the best out of him.

colinwhite

has some of the attributes needed, ie  skill, vision and creativity as well as being excellent in possession. But for the PL you have to be mobile too . Upand down the pitch especially if your in central midfield ,and TC sadly lacks these qualities .

toshes mate

As I understand the issues with Cairney they have more to do with managing his fitness rather than proving his capability of matching PL standards.  Having watched two teams without TC cock up attempts to survive  I do not believe TC's ability is the problem.  The problem is having a PL capable side period.  This time around perhaps we will see a bit of PL nous entering the equation of what a PL capable side looks like. 

What we need is a team made up of players who can win at least 35% of the points available over a 38 game season.  Put another way if our home record can generate an average 2 PPG we are almost home and dry.   If TC can help to achieve that then what is not to like?