watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Oi Oi Oi

Started by Southcoastffc, June 30, 2022, 10:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

bencher

Quote from: Southcoastffc on June 30, 2022, 10:21:39 AM
Good interview with Denis. Great man.

https://www.newframe.com/denis-odoi-a-new-star-for-the-black-stars/

I didn't know he was now playing for Ghana and will be at the World Cup. Delighted for him.

HV71

Typical modest Denis - simply love the guy

ChesterTheTabby

A cult legend - a man of the fans - a genuine bloke - Fulham through and through.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

toshes mate

Thanks for this article which contains stuff I didn't know about one of my all time favourite Fulham players.  It'll be good to see how he does in Qatar.

bencher

Quote from: HV71 on June 30, 2022, 11:55:05 AM
Typical modest Denis - simply love the guy

It's quite ironic that the thing he is mostly widely known for in football - the control with his back on debut v Newcastle - is so wildly out of character.

Fulham 442

Thanks for posting. The more I read about Denis the more I admire him. Always a Fulham legend in my eyes and a top, top bloke.

Fulhamboy1111

Absolute 100 percent fridge freezer!  049:gif

Andy S

For what reason is he a legend? Not rated too highly by management. A good player but not a great one. Was heavily criticised while he was here and prone to the odd cock up. So what makes him great now?

Sting of the North

Quote from: Andy S on July 01, 2022, 09:34:34 AM
For what reason is he a legend? Not rated too highly by management. A good player but not a great one. Was heavily criticised while he was here and prone to the odd cock up. So what makes him great now?

Whether he was a great or good or even not very good player is of course subjective. Many players have been heavily criticised even though they are good or great, so that is neither here or there in my book.

But to wager a guess, some things that make people think of him as a great Fulham man:

- His versatility, with being able to play on both sides, but also as a centre back (and as has been shown after his move home to Belgium, he can play as a DM as well).

- His team first attitude, in playing wherever requested, doing whatever is asked of him and never complaining when left out. Just look at how popular he seemed to be with the other players when he left and then came back for the celebrations when we secured promotion.

- His occasional displays of stunning technical ability.

- His goal against Derby and his celebrations.

- His seemingly humble approach to football and life.

- Him being an opposite to the modern footballer, in that he likes to educate himself and discuss important topics.

- The low price he was acquired for in comparison to what we got from him.

- Him playing a role in three promotions under three different managers.

- Him making Benrahma look like a league 2 player in the playoff final against Brentford.

I am sure other posters have additional reasons, but I believe the above catches a lot of it.

In my opinion.

For me he is a Fulham legend (but I am happy to use that term rather generously), and one of my all time favourite Fulham players.

Surlyc

As ChesterTheTabby said - Odoi is a cult legend. He was a good player but his popularity has endured due to his actions through the playoffs in 2018 and his very likeable character throughout.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 01, 2022, 09:53:49 AM

Whether he was a great or good or even not very good player is of course subjective. Many players have been heavily criticised even though they are good or great, so that is neither here or there in my book.

But to wager a guess, some things that make people think of him as a great Fulham man:

- His versatility, with being able to play on both sides, but also as a centre back (and as has been shown after his move home to Belgium, he can play as a DM as well).

- His team first attitude, in playing wherever requested, doing whatever is asked of him and never complaining when left out. Just look at how popular he seemed to be with the other players when he left and then came back for the celebrations when we secured promotion.

- Him being an opposite to the modern footballer, in that he likes to educate himself and discuss important topics.

- Him making Benrahma look like a league 2 player in the playoff final against Brentford.

I am sure other posters have additional reasons, but I believe the above catches a lot of it.

In my opinion.

For me he is a Fulham legend (but I am happy to use that term rather generously), and one of my all time favourite Fulham players.
An excellent summation Sting, I couldn't have put it better myself!

RaySmith

In my opinion.

Great list - yes, a club 'legend' status, isn't mainly to do footballing ability, though Denis certainly has that, but someone who inspires genuine affection  in the fans - for his attitude, heart on sleeve giving of his all in very game, never seeming to complain, will play anywhere he's asked to and always  give his all, and a genuine seeming nice guy off the pitch - caring, intelligent and articulate.

I thought it instructive to read of how  Denis's early teachers didn't think he'd never make the grade of a top pro player- but it was his attitude and determination that got him the great success he achieved, and that attitude was apparent every time he took the pitch.

His arial ability, being able to outjump far taller players, is maybe symbolic of Denis and what he achieved.

Even his bookings and that sending -off in a crucial game, and he was never a dirty player, show, for me, his will to win while wearing the White shirt.

He also had longevity with the club by modern standards, also important for 'legend' status.

Need a heart of stone not to love the man!

HV71

Spot on Sting - brilliant post

Andy S

Southcoastffc

In my opinion.

:plus one:   Excellent description.      Whenever I think of Denis I think mainly of 4 things - Newcastle at home (ball off back); Derby at home (Play-off semi final goal); Championship play off at Wembley - celebrating on the crossbar; and his quiet, unassuming intelligence.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

gerrys

In my opinion.

And his ability to reach the Wembly crossbar.... :003:

bobbo

Quote from: RaySmith on July 01, 2022, 10:11:34 AM

In my opinion.

Great list - yes, a club 'legend' status, isn't mainly to do footballing ability, though Denis certainly has that, but someone who inspires genuine affection  in the fans - for his attitude, heart on sleeve giving of his all in very game, never seeming to complain, will play anywhere he's asked to and always  give his all, and a genuine seeming nice guy off the pitch - caring, intelligent and articulate.

I thought it instructive to read of how  Denis's early teachers didn't think he'd never make the grade of a top pro player- but it was his attitude and determination that got him the great success he achieved, and that attitude was apparent every time he took the pitch.

His arial ability, being able to outjump far taller players, is maybe symbolic of Denis and what he achieved.

Even his bookings and that sending -off in a crucial game, and he was never a dirty player, show, for me, his will to win while wearing the White shirt.

He also had longevity with the club by modern standards, also important for 'legend' status.

Need a heart of stone not to love the man!
Soo well put you two . He comes Across as a lovely fella alongside all the other compliments .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Somerset Fulham

You only need to look at the esteem that Big Jim Stannard or Captain Morgan are held in to realise that it isn't all about talent.

Whitestone

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on July 01, 2022, 06:44:52 PM
You only need to look at the esteem that Big Jim Stannard or Captain Morgan are held in to realise that it isn't all about talent.

Not comparable. They played in the lower reaches of the league and were talented at that level.