watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Gerry Rafferty dies at 63

Started by Lighthouse, January 05, 2011, 12:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

nevzter

RIP - guess I'll have to wind my way down Baker Street on my own tonight...
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

Peabody

Sad news. Baker Street is one of my all-time favourites and I would guess it is in everyones collection

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

mrska

Winding your way down on Baker Street. Light in your head and dead on your feet. Well another crazy day, you'll drink the night away and forget about everything.

RIP..

BalDrick

Becoming a bit of a theme this, an RIP thread, almost daily. A good reminder that there are more important things in life than football. The Ashes for a start...(joke, well they are more important than football but oh you know what I mean)
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Equalizer

One of my favourite memories involves this song. Back around 1995 while I was at Uni, I was around the house of a young lady who I was very close to and who still does mean a lot to me. Well we were just chilling out with a few beers listening to music and generally mucking about when I noticed that she had a saxophone. I never knew that she was musically inclined, so obviously I insisted that she try and play it. The problem was she didn't really know any music off the top of her head.

I suggested that she play 'Baker Street', but it seems that she'd never even heard of it. Over the course of the next hour with me humming the tune, she managed to nail that timeless intro. And I managed to nail....

Thanks Gerry! RIP
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

HatterDon

I always think of "Stuck in the Middle" when I think of this artist.

It wasn't until I saw the thread title that I realized he was younger than me. THAT will grab your attention, let me tell you.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: HatterDon on January 05, 2011, 02:21:25 PM

It wasn't until I saw the thread title that I realized he was younger than me. THAT will grab your attention, let me tell you.
I believe it's only the good that die young HD so you should have no immediate concerns, and probably explains why Corked Hat is still going strong at 132 !

But in all seriousness, this is sad news and the Baker Street sax solo was a favourite of my late, best mate who had a massive and fatal heart attack at 41 years old. I'll always miss my mate but Baker Street evokes some very happy memories of our mis-spent youth. Live for today !

ron

Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on January 05, 2011, 03:58:23 PM

I believe it's only the good that die young HD so you should have no immediate concerns, and probably explains why Corked Hat is still going strong at 132 !

But in all seriousness, this is sad news and the Baker Street sax solo was a favourite of my late, best mate who had a massive and fatal heart attack at 41 years old. I'll always miss my mate but Baker Street evokes some very happy memories of our mis-spent youth. Live for today !

Agree about "Live for today"  GCW. Coincidentally a colleague collapsed and passed away just before Xmas at that same age of 41. Just makes us realise the tightrope we are walking, whether Old Sods Army or not.

finnster01

Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on January 05, 2011, 03:58:23 PM

...I'll always miss my mate but Baker Street evokes some very happy memories of our mis-spent youth. Live for today !
Now that I can relate to Mr GCW. Living for today should never be underestimated. We can't take anything with us that is for sure. Although my ex-wife seems to think she will be able to. I don't think there is a Barclays branch in hell, but I could be very wrong on that.

os5889

Lets be honest who else is in the same boat as me and cant get the sax solo from baker street out of their head today? Do do do, do do doooo

WhiteJC

I was lucky enough to know Gerry quite well, my cousin was part of his management team (also Dire Straits and Shakin Stevens but we won't talk about that)

he was a really nice bloke, down to earth and not at all "rock star", one of the good guys

finnster01

Quote from: WhiteJC on January 05, 2011, 06:41:13 PM
I was lucky enough to know Gerry quite well, my cousin was part of his management team (also Dire Straits and Shakin Stevens but we won't talk about that)

he was a really nice bloke, down to earth and not at all "rock star", one of the good guys
Glad to her that Mr WJC. That doesn't surprise me actually.

However being on the management team of Dire Straits and Shakin Stevens is a bit like being on the management team of Messi and Shefki Kuqi, innit?