watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Home shirt from 60s

Started by GorgeousGus, July 04, 2022, 04:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GorgeousGus

Hi - does anyone know where I can buy the home shirt from the 60s with the old crest on that doesn't have a number 10 on the back?
A very old friend of mine played one game for us in the 60s and has nothing to show for it at all. His name doesn't even appear in the programme as he was only informed he was to be involved the day before. He is in his late 70s now and I would love to be able to find one and get his name and number put on the back for him.
Many thanks
Gus
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff."

Friendsoffulham

Toffs used to sell them, but believe they have scaled back now.

bog

Hello there. Would it be possible to know the name of the gentleman? Thanks. 

cmg

If your mate's one and only game was the League Cup replay v Reading, October 19 1964, then his name is pencilled in on the match programme shown on the great Fulham programme website:
>http://www.fulhamfootballprogrammes.co.uk/eras/1961-1970/1964-1965/matches/Reading/programme.html#page/6<

Not much, but something.

How fantastic to have achieved even this!

Neutral Zone Ultra

Highly unlikely you'll find an original but if you scour eBay regularly you might find one of the Toffs reproductions, but like others have said they tend to have the Maestro's 10 on the back. Failing that you could commission someone to make a reproduction of your own.

GorgeousGus

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff."

bobbo

I'm not sure but I did have one and can't remember chucking it out , almost certainly wouldn't. I'll have a hunt tomorrow .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

RaySmith

Quote from: cmg on July 04, 2022, 05:30:37 PM
If your mate's one and only game was the League Cup replay v Reading, October 19 1964, then his name is pencilled in on the match programme shown on the great Fulham programme website:
>http://www.fulhamfootballprogrammes.co.uk/eras/1961-1970/1964-1965/matches/Reading/programme.html#page/6<

Not much, but something.

How fantastic to have achieved even this!

The penciled in name looks like Howfield - is that Bobby Howfield?  but he played a number of games for Fulham between 1962-5, so not the poster's friend.

I think it would be worth GorgeousGus contacting the club - you'd think they would be able to do do something to help.

GorgeousGus

Sorry - when people have replied I have answered with a private message. Hugh Cunningham is his name and he would be mortified if he knew I was doing this on his behalf. His one game was against Leicester in January of 1968 and he came on as sub to replace George Cohen - hence I would like to get a shirt with the badge from the time and put 12 on the back and maybe his name although they didn't have names at the time.

Dodgin

Great story, even playing just the once is a dream. Bobby Howfield went to the USA as kicker for the Houston Oilers.

Logicalman

Quote from: GorgeousGus on July 04, 2022, 06:53:31 PM
Sorry - when people have replied I have answered with a private message. Hugh Cunningham is his name and he would be mortified if he knew I was doing this on his behalf. His one game was against Leicester in January of 1968 and he came on as sub to replace George Cohen - hence I would like to get a shirt with the badge from the time and put 12 on the back and maybe his name although they didn't have names at the time.

If you can find a FFC badge to use on it, you might be able to substitute a Derby or Leeds shirt from that same era.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Colton F.C.

Hugh Cunningham's name appears here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fulham_F.C._players_(1–24_appearances)

Bobby Howfield was a speedy and effective goalscoring winger. Scored 9 goals in 26 games including two in that 10-1 against Ipswich.  Left in 1965 probably outed by Vic Buckingham (expletive deleted).

Went to the USA and joined American Football sides Denver Broncos and New York Jets as a 'placekicker'.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/19111086.watford-fc-forward-became-denver-broncos-new-york-jets-star/

Hi son Ian Howfield then had a twenty year career as 'placekicker' for Tennessee College and numerous 'football' sides including the Houston Oilers.

Part of Fulham's great US connections

brightster

Great story, Just looked in the Fulham - The Team book which lists every player, season and results from 1903- 2019, he is mentioned in the squad on page 140 (1967-68), also he is in the squad photo page 141.