more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 05/07/22...

Started by WhiteJC, July 05, 2022, 12:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham complete signing of midfielder Palhinha

Fulham have completed the signing of Portugal international midfielder Joao Palhinha.

The 26-year-old has joined from Sporting Lisbon for fee of £17m and has signed a five-year contract with the option of a further year.

The Whites are still hopeful of completing a deal for Israeli forward Manor Solomon, who had looked poised to join last month from Shakthar Donetsk.

However, the deal has been held up due due to uncertainty over Ukrainian-based players and a recent Fifa ruling that would allow foreign-based players in the war-torn country to suspend their contracts until June 2023.

French side Nice, who are managed by former Borussia Dortmund coach Lucien Favre and owned by Jim Ratcliffe the British billionaire who was in discussions to buy Chelsea, are also now in the running to sign the player.

https://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-set-to-complete-signing-of-midfielder-paulinha

WhiteJC

Fulham sign Joao Palhinha from Sporting Lisbon

Fulham have completed the signing of Portugal international Joao Palhinha from Sporting Lisbon on a five-yeardeal.

The Athletic reported earlier this week that a deal for the midfielder was close and the 26-year-old has now sealed a move to Craven Cottage for a fee thought to be around €20 million (£17.2 million).

Palhinha, who was thought to have also been a target for Wolves, was part of the Sporting side that won a league and cup double in 2021.

He made 39 appearances last season in all competitions — including six in the Champions League — and has featured 14 times so far for Portugal.

Fulham had earmarked defensive midfield as one of a number of priority positions to strengthen this summer ahead of their Premier League return.

The club decided against extending the contract of midfielder Jean Michael Seri at the end of last season, and he has now departed Craven Cottage.

Silva is understood to want up to 10 new faces in the summer window as he prepares for life back in the Premier League.

The west London club are also in talks with Arsenal goalkeeper Bernd Leno and have made an offer for Manchester United's Andreas Pereira.

https://theathletic.com/news/fulham-sign-joao-palhinha-transfer-news/gh3fMRRlamCl/

WhiteJC

Fulham Sign Palhinha

The Club is delighted to confirm the signing of João Palhinha from Sporting Clube de Portugal for an undisclosed fee.

The 26-year-old Portugal international has agreed a five-year deal, with a Club option for an additional 12 months, keeping him at Craven Cottage until at least the summer of 2027.

Speaking to FFCtv, Palhinha said: "I'm very glad to be here. It's a big opportunity for me, for my career, to play in what is – in my opinion – the best league in the world.

"I've signed with a great Club. The Club wanted me, and I chose the Club, so I promise the fans that I will do my best, and I hope we can win so many things in this season."

Tony Khan added: "João Palhinha has excelled in Portugal playing both club and international football. He's been one of our top targets in this window.

"While there were other prominent clubs aiming to secure his signature, we're thrilled that João chose to come here and that he wants to play for Fulham under our great coach Marco Silva, and we believe that João will be a valuable addition to strengthen the squad to compete this season in the Premier League. 

"Come on Fulham!"

An imposing defensive midfielder, Palhinha joined his local side Sporting a decade ago. After a number of appearances for the club's B team, he was given a first taste of senior football on loan with Moreirense in 2015/16, making 29 appearances as he helped preserve their top-flight status.

Palhinha was sent to a different Primeira Liga outfit the following campaign, making 13 appearances for Belenenses in the first half of 2016/17 before returning to Sporting where he was a regular in the side that finished third.

A final loan switch followed, as he spent two seasons with Braga, racking up 61 appearances and five goals as his new side finished fourth and third in the Primeira Liga, while they also won the Taça da Liga in his second season.

The ball-winner was then a mainstay in midfield upon his return to his parent club, helping them win the title for the first time since 2002 in his first season back.

He was also named in the Primeira Liga Team of the Year that campaign, and helped Sporting to the Taça da Liga title.

Palhinha made it three consecutive Taça da Ligas the following year, but Sporting could not retain their league crown, finishing second behind Porto despite winning 27 of their 34 matches.

He also sampled Champions League football for the first time last season, helping Sporting progress to the knockout stages, and departs the Lisbon outfit with 95 appearances and seven goals to his name.

Fairly new to the international game, Palhinha was given his senior Portugal debut in a World Cup Qualifier against Azerbaijan in March 2021, but he's been a regular in the squad ever since, winning 14 caps – and scoring twice – including two appearances at the 2020 European Championship.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/july/04/fulham-sign-palhinha/

WhiteJC

Fulham complete Joao Palhinha signing on five-year deal

Fulham have completed the signing of Joao Palhinha for an undisclosed fee from Sporting Lisbon.

The 26-year-old has put pen to paper on a five-year contract at Craven Cottage with the option of a further 12 months on top of that, potentially keeping him at the club until 2028.

The deal to bring Palhinha to West London is thought to be worth around £20m, with Fulham fending off rumoured competition from Wolverhampton Wanderers for his signature.

"I'm very glad to be here. It's a big opportunity for me, for my career, to play in what is – in my opinion – the best league in the world," the defensive midfielder told the club's official website.

"I've signed with a great club. The club wanted me, and I chose the club, so I promise the fans that I will do my best, and I hope we can win so many things in this season."

Co-owner Tony Khan added: "Joao Palhinha has excelled in Portugal playing both club and international football. He's been one of our top targets in this window.

"While there were other prominent clubs aiming to secure his signature, we're thrilled that Joao chose to come here and that he wants to play for Fulham under our great coach Marco Silva, and we believe that Joao will be a valuable addition to strengthen the squad to compete this season in the Premier League."

Palhinha came through the ranks at Sporting Lisbon and helped them to win the Primeira Liga title for the first time since 2002 in 2020-21, earning a spot in the team of the season that year.

The 6ft 3in midfielder made 39 appearances across all competitions last year, scoring three times in the league.

Palhinha has also won 14 caps for Portugal and could feature for his country at the World Cup in Qatar later this year, with Portugal being drawn alongside Ghana, Uruguay and South Korea in Group H.

Palhinha becomes Fulham's first signing of the summer as they prepare for life back in the Premier League having won promotion from the Championship last season.

The Cottagers, who have also been linked with a move for Manor Solomon and are expected to further strengthen their squad this summer, finished two points clear at the top of the Championship table last term.

Marco Silva's side will travel to Palhinha's native Portugal for their pre-season tour later this month, before opening the new campaign at home to last season's runners-up Liverpool on August 6.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/fulham-complete-joao-palhinha-signing_489302.html?newsnow

WhiteJC

Fulham finally complete Palhinha purchase

Fulham have this morning confirmed the £17m signing of Portuguese international midfielder Joao Palhinha from Sporting Club de Portugal.

The protracted deal to bring the 26 year-old holding midfielder to Craven Cottage was delayed by a dispute between rival agents about commissions owed to them by the Lions, but Palhinha has signed a five-year contract with the Premier League newcomers and becomes Marco Silva's first summer signing.

Palhinha has spent a decade with his boyhood club Sporting but his first major experience of senior football came in a number of loans away from the Lisbon club. He helped Moreirense stay in the top flight in 2016, before spending six months with Belenenses and returning to become a key figure in Sporting side that finished third in the table.

He spent two consecutive campaigns on loan at Braga, helping them finish third in 2020 and memorably scoring the winner as they won at Benfica for the first time in 65 years. He was a fixture in the side that finished fourth the following season and won the Taca de Liga. He quickly established himself as an important part of the Sporting side that won the title for the first time in twenty years in 2021 as well as lifting the Taca de Liga.

The 6ft 3in midfielder was voted into the Primeira Liga's team of the season and was rewarded with a senior debut for Portugal in a 1-0 World Cup qualifying win over Azerbaijan. He played Champions' League football for the first time last term and has gone to win fourteen caps for his country – scoring two goals. Widely regarded as one of the most promising players in Portuguese football, Palhinha has won more tackles – 158 – then any other Primeira Liga player over the past two seasons.

He told FFCTV after putting pen to paper on his Fulham contract: "I'm very glad to be here. It's a big opportunity for me, for my career, to play in what is – in my opinion – the best league in the world. I've signed with a great Club. The Club wanted me, and I chose the Club, so I promise the fans that I will do my best, and I hope we can win so many things in this season."

Fulham's fee payable to Sporting could rise to in excess of £20m depending on Palhinha's appearances and how well the Whites do in this and subsequent seasons.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/07/fulham-finally-complete-palhinha-purchase/

WhiteJC

Fulham announce deal for Palhinha

Fulham have confirmed their first summer signing, bolstering their midfield with the acquisition of Joao Palhinha from Sporting CP.

The Portugal international has previously been linked with a move to the Premier League, with Wolves monitoring the ball winning machine in the past.

However, Fulham have won the race to secure his services, and he joins the west London side from the 2020/21 Liga Bwin champions on a five-year deal.

"The Club is delighted to confirm the signing of João Palhinha from Sporting Clube de Portugal for an undisclosed fee," a statement read on the club's official website.

"The 26-year-old Portugal international has agreed a five-year deal, with a Club option for an additional 12 months, keeping him at Craven Cottage until at least the summer of 2027."

On his move to Fulham, Palhinha said: "I'm very glad to be here. It's a big opportunity for me, for my career, to play in what is – in my opinion – the best league in the world. 

"I've signed with a great Club. The Club wanted me, and I chose the Club, so I promise the fans that I will do my best, and I hope we can win so many things in this season."

Of those to make 20 or more Liga Bwin appearances last season, only Bebeto (4.6) made more tackles per 90 than Palhinha (3.9).

https://www.whoscored.com/News/di2qWbisYUOL2VWH9j8WHQ/Show/Fulham-announce-deal-for-Palhinha

WhiteJC

Fulham sign Man Utd, Wolves-linked midfielder Joao Palhinha from Sporting for £20m

Portugal midfielder Joao Palhinha has completed his transfer from Sporting to Fulham, the Premier League club have confirmed.

The top-flight returnees reportedly agreed a £20million fee with the Portuguese club.

The Lisbon-born defensive midfielder joined Sporting from Sacavenense in 2013 and has spent time on loan with Moreirense, Belenenses and Braga.

He is a mainstay in the Portugal national team and has two goals in 14 appearances for his country.

Speaking to the club's official website, Palhinha said: "I'm very glad to be here. It's a big opportunity for me, for my career, to play in what is – in my opinion – the best league in the world.

"I've signed with a great club. The club wanted me, and I chose the club, so I promise the fans that I will do my best, and I hope we can win so many things in this season."

Co-owner Tony Khan added: "Joao Palhinha has excelled in Portugal playing both club and international football. He's been one of our top targets in this window.

"While there were other prominent clubs aiming to secure his signature, we're thrilled that Joao chose to come here and that he wants to play for Fulham under our great coach Marco Silva, and we believe that Joao will be a valuable addition to strengthen the squad to compete this season in the Premier League."

Wolves were believed to hold a strong interest in the 26-year-old, while Manchester United were also rumoured to be keen.

Fulham will look to avoid relegation from the Premier League for the first time since 2012/13. Since then, the Cottagers have been relegated three times and promoted on four occasions.

They have also been linked with Shakhtar Donetsk winger Manor Solomon and Wolfsburg right-back Kevin Mbabu.

Both players are valued at around £7m and it is believed the London club have lodged a bid for Mbabu as Marco Silva looks to bolster his defence.

https://www.football365.com/news/fulham-sign-man-utd-wolves-linked-midfielder-joao-palhinha-from-sporting-for-20m

WhiteJC

Ipswich Town spoke with Fulham last month over potential striker deal

Ipswich Town reportedly held talks with Fulham over a possible loan deal for striker Jay Stansfield last month before opting to sign Tyreece John-Jules instead.

Ipswich Town boss Kieran McKenna has wasted no time in bringing fresh recruits to Portman Road this summer.

Dominic Ball, Freddie Ladapo and Gregg Leigh have all joined on free transfers alongside the earlier mentioned John-Jules, who arrives on loan from Arsenal. However, TWTD has now stated that Fulham talent Stansfield was considered along with the Gunners starlet.

It is claimed that 19-year-old striker Stansfield was a player that Ipswich Town spoke with Fulham about possibly signing on loan.

The Tractor Boys ended up deciding on a move for John-Jules instead though.

Stansfield vs John-Jules...
Although it's the Arsenal forward that ended up making the move to Portman Road, Stansfield could have been a smart option too.

John-Jules boasts the experience advantage over the Fulham man given that he has already spent time on loan with Lincoln City, Doncaster Rovers, Blackpool and Sheffield Wednesday before. Stansfield has only played four first-team games to date.

Both have been prolific at youth level too, though it's the Fulham man who has a better record at U18s level. He has scored 31 in 27 games for the Cottagers, though both are evenly matched at U23.

The report adds that Stansfield does have interest from other League One clubs though, so it may be that we see the Tiverton-born youngster test himself in the third-tier anyway, even after Ipswich Town opted against swooping for him following talks with Fulham.

Ipswich Town will be hoping John-Jules can show them they made the right decision as he looks to gain some momentum in his senior career.

https://the72.co.uk/2022/07/04/ipswich-town-spoke-with-fulham-last-month-over-potential-striker-deal/

WhiteJC

Joao Palhinha: Fulham sign midfielder from Sporting for undisclosed fee

Joao Palhinha helped Sporting reach last season's Champions League last 16, where they were beaten by Manchester City

Fulham have signed Portugal defensive midfielder Joao Palhinha from Sporting Lisbon on a five-year deal for a reported fee of around £17m.

The 26-year-old is Fulham boss Marco Silva's first signing since they won promotion to the Premier League in May.

Palhinha helped Sporting reach the Champions League last 16 last season.

"It's a big opportunity for me, for my career to play in what is - in my opinion - the best league in the world," he said.

"I've signed with a great club. The club wanted me, and I chose the club, so I promise the fans that I will do my best, and I hope we can win so many things in this season," he added.

Palhinha, a product of Sporting's youth set-up, helped the club win the Portuguese league title in 2021, and played 95 times for the club after making his senior debut in 2017.

Fulham have also been heavily linked with a move for Shakhtar Donetsk's Israel international forward Manor Solomon to replace Fabio Carvalho, who joined Liverpool for £5m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62036926

WhiteJC

Wolves pursuing midfield targets after declining move for Joao Palhinha

Wolves are pursuing other midfield targets after declining the chance to sign Joao Palhinha, the Express & Star understands.

The 26-year-old has completed a move to newly-promoted Fulham in a deal for around £19million, including add-ons.

As a client of agent Jorge Mendes – who Wolves have done numerous deals with over the years – the club were offered the chance to sign Palhinha and held talks over bringing him to Molineux.

Wolves considered the deal and it is understood they would have beaten Fulham to his signature if they pursued a transfer, but the hierarchy turned it down.

As a result, Palhinha has now moved to Premier League rivals Fulham, who will travel to Molineux on August 13 for Wolves' first home game of the 2022/23 season.

The battle for Palhinha's signature is understood to have been a one-horse race after Wolves turned their attentions elsewhere.

Wolves are still actively pursuing other midfield targets, in an area Bruno Lage is keen for reinforcements.

Of Wolves' senior midfielders, Ruben Neves' future is uncertain, Leander Dendoncker has just one year left on his deal with an option of a further year, while Joao Moutinho has today signed a new one-year deal with the club.

Wolves are in need of added quality as well as strength in depth as they explore a number of midfield targets.

Another factor is the style, with Palhinha's defensive midfield role arguably the least pressing of the midfield options.

For some time Wolves have been in need of a ball-carrying midfielder who can help link and join attacks, in a position that would better suit Lage's style of play.

With Neves still with the club, a more forward-thinking midfielder is likely higher up on the shopping list.

Supporters are understandably frustrated with the lack of signings so far, but patience may be needed as Wolves look to tie up deals for some of their ongoing targets.

Alongside the midfield, Wolves are expected to also be in the market for a striker and some defensive reinforcements after losing a handful of players.

At the back, Romain Saiss and Fernando Marcal were released at the end of their deals, while Ki-Jana Hoever and Ryan Giles were sent out on season-long loans.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2022/07/04/wolves-pursuing-midfield-targets-after-declining-move-for-joao-palhinha/

WhiteJC

Fulham defender set for Charlton Athletic loan switch

Charlton Athletic are hopeful of concluding a season-long loan deal for Fulham defender Steven Sessegnon.

The 22-year-old has been capped by England at every junior level ranging between U16 and U21.

Sessegnon is comfortable on both the left and right in a full-back or wing-back role, meaning he would be able to cover either flank.

The Roehampton-born player, whose twin Ryan made a big-money switch to Tottenham, signed a professional deal with Fulham in June 2017. He made his first-team debut a few months later in an EFL Cup tie against Wycombe.

Sessegnon has featured 19 times for the Whites at senior level.

He spent the 2020-21 season on loan at Bristol City but suffered a hamstring injury which ruled him out for 17 Championship matches.

Sessegnon made another temporary switch away from the west London club at the end of January's transfer window, making 10 appearances for Plymouth Argyle.

Charlton have made four signings this summer – Joe Wollacott, Mandela Egbo, Eoghan O'Connell and Conor McGrandles.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/fulham-defender-set-for-charlton-athletic-loan-switch/

WhiteJC

Steven Sessegnon close to Charlton loan after agreeing new Fulham deal

Steven Sessegnon is close to joining Charlton Athletic on a season-long loan after agreeing a new contract at Fulham.

The 22-year-old defender, who is predominantly a right-back but has also played at left-back and in holding midfield, spent the second half of last season on loan with League One side Plymouth Argyle.

He made 10 appearances for the Pilgrims and eight for Fulham's Under-23s side, who won Premier League 2 Division 2.

Sessegnon, who has represented England at every age group between the Under-16s and Under-21s, will be targeting a run of games at The Valley to kickstart his development. He spent the 2020-21 season on loan at Championship side Bristol City, where he made 16 league appearances, however his loan stay was interrupted by a hamstring injury.

Sessegnon came through the academy at Fulham alongside his brother Ryan Sessegnon, now at Tottenham, and has made 19 appearances for Fulham's first team in all competitions. This includes 14 outings during the club's promotion-winning campaign of 2019-20.

Charlton's next pre-season match will be on Saturday, against Dartford.

https://theathletic.com/news/steven-sessegnon-fulham-charlton-loan/RcATZaCmIxnG/

WhiteJC

Charlton seek Sessegnon loan

Charlton Athletic are confident of completing a loan move for Fulham full back Steven Sessegnon, according to Rich Cawley of the South London Press.

The Addicks see the former England under-21 international as a strong option as they seek to earn promotion from League One under new boss Ben Garner. Sessegnon ended last season on loan at Plymouth, whose own push for promotion ended in final day heartbreak, making ten appearances for Argyle. The Roehampton-born defender's previous loan stint with Bristol City was marred by a succession of injury problems, with Sessegnon playing only eighteen games before returning to Motspur Park.

Now 22, Sessegnon has struggled for fitness and first-team action to make the most of the talent that saw him become a key part of the England under-17 side that won the World Cup in 2017. He has made nineteen senior appearances for Fulham, but is unlikely to force his way into Marco Silva's thoughts this term despite a versatility that allows him to fill in effectively in either full back role or the centre of defence.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/07/charlton-seek-sessegnon-loan/

WhiteJC

Replacing Seri with Palhinha may prove inspired

Fulham's released list contained no serious shocks for supporters until they saw the name of Jean Michael Seri. The Ivorian became belated a fans favourite at the Cottage last term, surprising everyone to become a vital part of one of the most stylish Fulham sides in a couple of generations. The completion of Seri's redemption arc was one of the most underwritten stories of a season that was one of the most successful in the club's storied history.

Marco Silva favoured Seri in what is now universally referred to as the 'number six' role, using his eye for a pass to distribute the ball from deep to the more creative talents Fulham fielded further forward. This generated more room against stretched defences for the likes of Wilson and Kebano. Seri's abrupt departure terminated the bond built between the fans and a playmaker who they had gradually begun to warm to after three years of frustration – but it may yet turn out to be a shrewd spot of recruitment.

In the Championship, Fulham had plenty of possession and time on the ball using Seri as their main man to start attacks from deep. That sort of time just won't be available in the top flight. We saw Seri struggle in the Premier League and, however adventurous Silva seeks to be, the Whites will have much less of the ball and will have to do much more defending. That would probably have turned Silva's playmaking into something of a liability, leaving a central midfield focused on creation more vulnerable out of possession. Fulham were far from convincing against marauding opponents last term – and that problem might have become insurmountable in one of the quickest leagues in the world without some summer surgery.

The signing of Joaoa Palhinha, someone Silva knows well having been in charge at Sporting as the Lisbon lad made his way through the ranks at his boyhood club, is clearly designed to give the Fulham engine room a bit more bite. He made more tackles – 185 – then anyone else in the Primeira Liga over the past two seasons. It is probably a bit harsh to categorise the Portuguese international as a conventional stopper, as there is more to the 26 year-old's game that breaking up the play, and he distributes the ball with the artistry you'd expect of a young player honed on the Iberian peninsular, but pairing Palhinha with Harrison Reed – for example – would make the Whites more difficult to play through.

Both Palhinha's pedigree and the numbers seem to bear this out. He starred in the Sporting side that delivered the Lions first title in two decades having had to earn a place in Ruben Amorim's inventive 3-4-3 system, but once he got in, the imposing midfielder became a key cog in a winning machine. So spellbinding were his performances that Palhinha was entrusted with a role nullifying the French midfield in a key Euro 2020 clash and, in an underwhelming tournament for Os Navegadores, he certainly stood out.

There is probably a net benefit in FFP terms for Fulham in replacing Seri, reportedly earning in excess of £65,000 a week in SW6, with Palhinha, who the Portuguese press claim has agreed a salary of around the £40,000 a week mark. Palhinha's distribution definitely improved under Amorim, but his primary role in this Fulham side will be halting opposition attacks and finding Silva's attacking outlets. It seems a role for which he is ideally suited – and prising him away from Wolves' clutches in the space of three weeks appears to be a real coup. Of course, Fulham's ultimate success in the upcoming season probably rests on who else will arrive at Motspur Park in the coming weeks, but this is an encouraging start.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/07/replacing-seri-with-palhinha-may-prove-inspired/

WhiteJC

Trusted reporter shuts down Coventry City's links to released Fulham man

CoventryLive reporter Andy Turner has played down Coventry City's rumoured interest in released Fulham defender Michael Hector.

Hector, 29, was let go by Fulham at the end of last season, officially becoming a free agent last week.

And over the weekend, it was rumoured among Sky Blues fans online that Hector was closing in on a free transfer to Coventry City:

But trusted Coventry City reporter Turner has quashed this rumour, writing that Hector is 'not of interest' to Sky Blues boss Mark Robins.

Coventry City's sole signing of the summer so far is Kasey Palmer, who joined on a permanent deal from Bristol City last month.

There's been a handful of names linked with a possible move to Coventry City this summer. But most of the club's transfer headlines are linking their current players with moves elsewhere, with reports yesterday revealing that Callum O'Hare is a target of Burnley's.

https://the72.co.uk/2022/07/04/trusted-reporter-shuts-down-coventry-citys-links-to-released-fulham-man/

WhiteJC

Fulham won't pay £10.5m for target, could sign 'special' player instead

Premier League outfit Fulham are in talks for Luca Pellegrini but don't want to pay more than £9 million for the Juventus man, according to Sport Mediaset, with ex-Wolves man Ruben Vinagre another option.

Two years ago, Fulham completed three signings in the final few hours of the summer transfer window; Joachim Andersen, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Tosin Adarabioyo. The only problem was, by that stage, the damage had been done.

The Cottagers were already nailed to the bottom of the Premier League table, having lost all of their opening four games. Had Andersen and Adarabioyo joined earlier that summer, perhaps Fulham would have survived.

So no wonder Marco Silva wants to ensure the club have learned from those mistakes. Per The Athletic, Silva wants up to ten new signings but was hoping that the majority of those would arrive long before the new season kicks off in August.

There are now just four weeks before Liverpool travel to Craven Cottage. And, much to Silva's frustration, Joao Palhinha is Fulham's only new face.

A deal for Israel international Manor Solomon remains in the balance, while Thomas Strakosha, Alex Moreno and Javi Galan appear to have slipped through Silva's fingers. According to reports in Italy, Fulham are reluctant to meet Juventus's £10.5 million asking price for Pellegrini as well.

Will Fulham sign Luca Pellegrini or Ruben Vinagre?

The Cottagers are in talks with the former Roma left-back but will pay a maximum of £9 million.

As such, former Wolverhampton Wanderers youngster Vinagre feels the more likely addition. Vinagre, despite only joining Sporting Lisbon for £8.6 million 12 months ago, is available on loan (Record). His arrival would, in theory, save up funds for further additions in attack or on the right-hand side, with Lyon captain and France international Leo Dubois another target.

"The talent is there. That's why Vinagre is massively important to us," then-Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo once said of the Portugal U21 international.

"He's so versatile and can give us some different things during the game. He's special."

Nottingham Forest are also keen on Vinagre.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/07/04/fulham-wont-pay-10-5m-for-target-could-sign-special-player-instead/

WhiteJC

Wolves would've signed £18m Prem ace but Molineux bosses snubbed him

Wolves turned down the chance to sign Joao Palhinha before Premier League rivals Fulham snapped up the Sporting Lisbon midfielder to the tune of £18 million, as reported by the Express and Star. 

Ok, yeah, there are real 'oh I didn't fancy her anyway' vibes about this one. But think about it this way. 

If you'd asked Wolverhampton Wanderers supporters a couple of weeks away if a new deep-lying midfielder was a must this summer, they'd have responded like Steven Toast stuck on repeat.

At the time, Ruben Neves was expected to depart. Ditto Leander Dendoncker and Joao Moutinho. Flash forward to early July, however, and offers for Neves have not exactly been flooding in. Ditto Leander Dendoncker. And there is still some confidence around Molineux that Moutinho will stick around for another season at least. 

As such, the Express and Star believe that Bruno Lage is prioritising a midfielder of the more attacking variety. Wolves, the report adds, would have beaten Fulham to Palhinha's signature had the club's hierarchy not decided to walk away from a player who's been right at the top of their radar for at least two years.

Instead, they opted to turn their back. Whether that proves to be a mistake is a question for another day.

Fulham sign Palhinha after Wolves snub

Fulham, after protracted negotiations, finally unveiled Palhinha at Craven Cottage on Monday after a potential photo-finish turned into a one-horse race. 

"Joao Palhinha has excelled in Portugal playing both club and international football," says vice-president Tony Khan. "He's been one of our top targets in this window.

"While there were other prominent clubs aiming to secure his signature, we're thrilled Joao chose to come here and that he wants to play under our great coach Marco Silva.

"We believe that Joao will be a valuable addition to strengthen the squad."

Assuming a number eight is Wolves' priority now, rather than a 'number six', news of Pedrinho's move to Atletico Mineiro will be received about as warmly as a flock of clothes moths backstage at a Viviene Westwood fashion show.

Wolves held 'advanced' talks with the then-Sporting Lisbon forward a few months ago.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/07/04/wolves-wouldve-signed-18m-prem-ace-but-molineux-bosses-snubbed-him/

WhiteJC

Fulham remain in talks over Arsenal signing

Despite the links going quiet in recent weeks, Fulham remain in talks to sign Bernd Leno from Arsenal, according to a report.

Following Fulham's acquisition of Portugal international Joao Palhinha, The Athletic have reported that the London club are still in talks to sign Bernd Leno from Arsenal.

David Ornstein initially broke the news of the Fulham talks, with Sky Sports later confirming contact between the two clubs.

The Evening Standard also then reported that Fulham are interested in a move for Leno. The goalkeeper held talks with Edu before the end of the season and they reportedly agreed he could leave.

Speaking to the media, Bernd Leno's agent Joannis Koukoutrigas confirmed the reports but insisted nothing is decided.

"Yes, Fulham is trying hard to get Bernd," Koukoutrigas confirmed. "Very professionally. This is also true for some other clubs and shows his status.

"But as I said, for me, he is the number 1 at Arsenal and we are therefore also relaxed."

Kicker have since reported that PSV Eindhoven hold an interest in signing Leno this summer.

Leno is open to leaving the Gunners in search of minutes ahead of the World Cup later this year, and has previously been linked with a couple of Premier League clubs, but PSV are also making an attempt.

For now, Fulham are the only club reported to have actually opened talks by reliable outlets.

Leno kept a first-half clean sheet in Arsenal's opening pre-season friendly against Ipswich Town last week, playing his first 45 minutes of the team's preparations.

https://dailycannon.com/2022/07/fulham-bernd-leno-talks-ongoing/

WhiteJC

Fulham complete £17.2m signing of Joao Palhinha from Sporting Lisbon as the Portuguese midfielder becomes Cottagers first arrival since gaining promotion back to Premier League 

Fulham have the completed the signing of Portugal midfielder Joao Palhinha
    The 26-year-old joins on a five-year deal for £17million from Sporting Lisbon
    He becomes the Cottagers first signing since gaining promotion last season

Fulham have completed the £17.2m signing of Portugal international Joao Palhinha from Sporting Lisbon on a five-year deal.

Palhinha, 26, is the first new arrival of the summer for the Cottagers, who won promotion back to the Premier League last season.

The midfielder came through Sporting's academy and made 95 appearances across all competitions for the club, scoring nine goals. 

Fulham have completed the £17.2m signing of Portugal international Joao Palhinha

Palhinha joins from Sporting Lisbon for £17.2m and becomes the club's first summer signing

'I'm very glad to be here. It's a big opportunity for me, for my career, to play in what is - in my opinion - the best league in the world,' Palhinha said in an interview with FFCtv.

'I've signed with a great club. The club wanted me, and I chose the club, so I promise the fans that I will do my best, and I hope we can win so many things in this season.'

Cottagers vice-chairman Tony Khan said: 'Joao Palhinha has excelled in Portugal playing both club and international football. He's been one of our top targets in this window.

He came through the Sporting academy and made 95 appearances across all competitions

'While there were other prominent clubs aiming to secure his signature, we're thrilled that Joao chose to come here and that he wants to play for Fulham under our great coach Marco Silva.

'We believe that Joao will be a valuable addition to strengthen the squad to compete this season in the Premier League.'

Fulham will start their season with a home game against last season's runner-up Liverpool on August 6 before travelling to Wolves the following week. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10981815/Fulham-complete-17-2m-signing-Portugal-midfielder-Joao-Palhinha-Sporting-Lisbon.html

WhiteJC

Rangers midfielder Joe Aribo could be on his way to Southampton as they look to fend off interest from Premier League rivals Nottingham Forest and Fulham, with Ibrox side willing to sell as he enters final year of contract

Joe Aribo is a target for Southampton as well as Nottingham Forest and Fulham
    The Nigerian midfielder has only one year remaining on his current Ibrox deal
    He featured 57 times last season as the Gers reached the Europa League final

Southampton hope to fend off competition from Forest and Fulham for Rangers midfielder Joe Aribo who has just one year left on contract.

Aribo has become an integral player at the Ibrox since his arrival from Charlton in 2019, and was part of the side that won the Scottish Premier League in 2020/21 under now Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard.

And after another starring role as the Glasgow side reached the final of the Europa League, Rangers will have to decide whether to cash in on the player this summer, or run the risk of seeing him leave for nothing next summer. 

Joe Aribo has attracted interest from Premier League sides with Southampton leading the race

The Nigeria international showcased his versatility, playing in central midfield, attacking midfield, down the right and ended the season playing up front due to injuries elsewhere in Giovanni Van Bronckhorst's squad.

And last season he had ample opportunity to showcase his abilities to potential suitors, making 57 appearances, scoring nine times – including in the Europa League final against Eintract Frankfurt – and set up 10 more.

Irish striker Shane Long has left on a free following the expiry of his contract and could return to former club Reading.

Long, 35, made 19 appearances last season and is keen and ready to continue his career at a good level as he weighs up his options.

In an eight-year career on the south coast Long scored 37 goals and assisted 27 times in 243 games, and leaves as a popular figure at St. Mary's.

The Saints are also close to finalising a £14million deal for Manchester City starlet Romeo Lavia, with the player due to undergo a medical.

He is set to become Ralph Hasenhuttl's fourth summer signing and the latest youngster to leave one of the Premier League's elite to join Southampton for the chance to kickstart their career with first-team football.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10981741/Joe-Aribo-way-Southampton-face-competition-Nottingham-Forest-Fulham.html